Andy Barrowman

MissICT

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it fair to assume, given that the 3rd (and according to Brewster, the final) deadline has come and gone, we have heard the last of this saga? Surely the **** take has ended?

The club should now put a revised (lower) offer on the table for him and then go about their business of looking elsewhere.  If he doesn't come back with an acceptance before we sign other players then it is his loss.

I think part of the problem (aside from the limited wages we can offer) is that there's not much by the way of other bait on our hook.  The club aren't even capable of making a decision with regards to Marius, and he's the biggest bit of bait we've ever had at the club.  If they were to agree a contract extension with him then I'd happily bet that we'd be able to garner interest from "better" players.

If I was a young striker looking to get a foot up the ladder, or a striker who's career had perhaps stalled and was looking to kick-start it again, then I'd be far more interested in a move where I'd be playing alongside someone like Marius as opposed to someone like Rory.

Keeping Marius could be the difference between reasonably comfortable survival and a relegation scrap with the very real chance of taking the drop for us next season IMO.....and I think a lot of players looking for a move right now will be thinking the very same thing.

If the club want to attract players with real ambition and potential, then they have to start acting like a club with ambition.  Lose the "wee team from the highlands" mentality and stop making c*cks of themselves by going to the press saying that a Div 2 player is our number 1 signing target.  Yes, we have to keep an eye on what's immediately in front of us, but we also have to start thinking longer term....put some targets in place which consist of a little more than "finishing 11th will be a good season for us".

We had that ambition and drive when we were coming up through the leagues, but it would seem that now we've got to the SPL that the fear of anything less is strangling that and nobody (well one person) wants to take the plunge to push us from scrappy survivors to consistent mid-table contenders.

We shouldn't be p!ssing about with stupid deadlines for unproven players.  We should be placing offers on the table and continuing to look.  It shouldn't be ONE top signing target, it should be 3 or 4....and if players offered deals are too slow to decide and miss out to someone else, then that's their tough sh!t.

I think Barrowman could be a decent signing, but I don't think he should be viewed as the person who's going to bag 10+ goals for us next season and it scares me sh!tless because I think Brewster might see him as just that.  Even more worrying is that we don't seem to have much by way of a back-up plan either, with the "alternatives" looking like either fantasy or equally unproven.

In the past when we've taken chances on players we've always maintained a player alongside them who may not have been "the best" but who we at least knew was capable of something.  If Marius is sold, then we don't have that for next season, we have no buffer, no back-up that fills us with any confidence.

If the decision to keep Marius rests on the signing of Barrowman, then I hope we don't as it could very well be the single worst decision ever made at ICT and one that consigns us to relegation next year.

We had that ambition and drive when we were coming up through the leagues, but it would seem that now we've got to the SPL that the fear of anything less is strangling that and nobody (well one person) wants to take the plunge to push us from scrappy survivors to consistent mid-table contenders.

That will be because we were a big fish in a small pond in them days. We are in with the big boys now....thus been hit with a large dose of reality

Had you said a large dose of fear, then I might have agreed.

It's only reality because people choose to make it so.  Why should the mindset have changed?  Why can't we go out there and play the "big boys" with the same attitude as we did when we met them in cup games when coming up through the leagues?  Who's place is it to say "we've found our level, now be grateful"?

I'm not suggesting we go out and blow money we can't afford, or commit suicide on the pitch....but I can tell you one thing....I'd far rather we did that than suffer a slow painful death.  In fact, it's not even about trying to get ahead of other teams, I'd be happy if the club were making an attempt to even keep up with teams around us just now.  There's 1st and 2nd Div teams who are aiming higher than ICT at the moment.....it's getting to the stage where I think it's time for the current crop of Directors and Shareholders to either put up or ship out and let someone else with some ambition come in and have a go as, IMO, we've stood still, and perhaps gone a little backwards since we go into the SPL because they are scared to take a chance, or even follow one through.

The fact is tho D....we are a diddy team! In order for someone to come in and invest big bucks, they would have to see some form of financial return. they wont get it with us. Our only hope is some exciled fan comes and injects cash of their own for the love of the club. The bottom line is...there are clubs in lower leagues with far more potential than us and far more attractive as an investment opportuinity.

I got slated on here some time ago for daring to question why we should always be looking to lower leagues for our signings.

It's all a state of mind...if we project the image of "a diddy team" then that's how we will be viewed...whether it's fact or not.

It's not the lack of money that has the club shooting themselves in the foot whenever they speak to the papers, it's not lack of money that had Brewster telling the press that our #1 signing target is an unproven 2nd Div striker, stopped us extending Wyness contract, made us ship Rankin or had us in the papers accused of trying to tap up 2 Chester City players...it's not even down to the lack of money that we haven't (yet) offered Marius Niculae an extended contract.....but these are all situations that have made us look remarkably "diddy" recently, and that's just on the footballing side of things.

Diddy is letting your best players leave for pennies or for free and publicly resigning your team to not being able to sign anything other than lower team players.  Ambitious is taking a chance on players you know are capable, not selling them off for pocket change and at least going after players who are either proven at a decent level or have been out of nappies for more than 6 months.

We saw signs of ambition last summer when we signed Niculae....but now the club seem to be sh*tting it and unable to follow through and make it one of the best moves they ever made.....I'm not talking about accepting the first offer that comes in for him and saying "look how much money we made", I'm talking about having the balls to keep him here.  Let him realise his full potential whilst we bring in players with a view to replacing him in another 12 months....and then cashing in on what I believe will be even bigger money......that would be ambitious, and it doesn't even carry that much risk and it would be far riskier to let him go and pin our hopes on players who have barely played at this level, far less proven themselves at this level.

Opportunities to have players like Marius in the squad aren't going to come along every day for us....I accept that, but when they do we have to make the best of them, not look to turn them over for a quick buck and then go back to where we were.  We seem to take one step forward and two back....at the very least we should be trying to makeit two forward and one back, because, if nothing else, that's still progress.

Guest ict fanatic

I think way too much fuss is being made over Barrowman and the fact we have set 2 now 3 deadlines show we are begining to lool weak in the transfer market. I think we should now start looking at other possible targets, such as Graham Dorrans or Andy Jackson. Or why not getting some players from the Premier League on loan, Sone Aluko at Aberdeen last year is a perfect example. I wouldn't mind a tall, burly centre half either, especially after watching last seasons excuse of a back four leaking goals.

Im quite frankly fed up of Brewsters way of handling players. We've already lost 4 first team players and more could soon follow, Bayne in paticular who for me should be one to keep.

Keeping Marius should may'be not be such a priorty. We all knew he was never going to be in it for the long haul. Cash in on him and that should give us more than sufficient funds to strengthen the squad.

Keeping Marius should may'be not be such a priorty. We all knew he was never going to be in it for the long haul. Cash in on him and that should give us more than sufficient funds to strengthen the squad.

It's only "cashing in" if you can replace him for less money or a better player.

Given the fact we can't even get a 2nd Div striker to sign a deal, I can't see where people expect us to get a replacement for Marius for even the same money, never mind cheaper.

We are always going to struggle in the transfer market, until we get a strong manager and board that can handle themselves in the market. 

Just now we just accept any bid for any player.

And this Barrowman issue is getting well beyond a joke, St Mirren, Killie, Hamilton must be loving it that we are struggling to attract a 2nd division player who has proved he can't play in the SPL. 

We have a very thin squad and if it was any other team they would be strenghting or looking to strength with proved SPL players and not being messed about by a poor player like Barrowman!

Also why can't we sign players from our own division?  That are maybe sitting on the bench every week. 

It's a disgrace but nothing will chance and hopefully we'll get relegated this season coming!

It's not support.  The manager is very poor, most of the board are really poor, the squad is really poor, the atmosphere is really poor.

I know that if we get relegated we probably won't bounce straight back up again.  But i'm just making these points because they are one's that need to be addressed but they won't be which I why I hope we get relegated.  So then the board will get a major kick up the backside and Grassa might not have as much money to spend in the Fluke at night!

200k for Andy Barrowman????  It is over 3 years granted but Barrowman is not worth 200k.  From the times i've seen him, he is not SPL quality. I know that this phrase is thrown around when ICT attempt to lure a lower league player up to snecky, but Andy is not good enough, and definitely not 200k good enough.

is it just me or is it starting to feel like we are becoming a safety net for barrowman. I get the distinct impression that he is going to keep us dangling until the last minute in the hope that he will get something better knowing that if nothing comes in he still has the safety net of spl football with us. Personaly i agree with those that say its time for the club to toughen up. Players should want to play for us, a la don cowie, its refreshing to see someone that is keen to stay and wants to be here, not someone who is using us to fill there bank balance till something better comes along.  So lets see some proper        b@lls for once caley, and tell him sign now or cheerio.       

Tug,

If your theory is correct, and we do not currently know the full story, it does make sense what you are saying. Consider this, Marius might well be on his way and at a good fee, which would suddenly give Brew the chance, in about 4 weeks to buy or obtain by loan three or four quality players which could include a more established goal scorer at SPL level.

Brew might not have the final say on Bannerman. The Romania game on Tuesday might be the defining moment as to whether Barrowman comes or not. If Marius were to leave, Barrowman might just see himself as the 'star striker' which is probably unlikely elsewhere because we focus so much on creating chances for the strikers. However, he would really have to prove himself if he took on the top salary and that might be a problem for him. IHE needs to look inside his head.

Who knows what will happen.

:rotflmao: - Where are we going to find a proven SPL goalscorer for the money we may get for Marius?  Even if we got ?2 Million for him we'd still struggle to get a proven striker, let alone bring in "three or four quality players".

Marius scored 10 goals for us last season, and that was after a slow start due to his lack of football for 2 years and no pre-season.  He was just starting to come good and Brewster was (slowly) learning how best to use him (apart from left midfield at Falkirk).  The Barrowmans of this world might shine alongside someone like Marius, but they're going to struggle alongside the likes of Rory or Bayne.

The money will either be ferreted away in the bank (in which case we will need it to make a push to bounce back from Div 1) or it will be p!ssed away on bringing in "hopefuls" from Div 2 and the anyone we are lucky enough to tap up from Chester City.

Perhaps if the club had the balls to stand up and say "you know what, we will keep Marius" then other players might appreciate that they won't simply be churned for a few thousand 12 months down the line and they might actually be more willing to come here.

It's not only the club that need to grow a pair, some of the fans need to do so as well.  How long are people going to allow themselves to be lead by the nose and blinded by all the spin (and poor spin at that) which seems to have become common practice at ICT in the last few years.  Wake Up, Stand Up and Be Counted before it's too late.

wouldnt the cash we get from Marius being in the euros cover his wages for a years extension to his contract?  :024: worth it if you ask me, it puts us in a much stronger  position and means we dont have to sell if we dont want to

Barrowman is clearly not really interested in signing for us so lets tell him we are no longer interested in signing him.  End of.

Regarding Marius - I think he'd be more than happy to stay for another year or perhaps even longer.  ICT have been very good for him and he seems a loyal type.  A big difference in attitudes between the two.

according to today's Metro " Barrowman refuses to commit to Caley".

Apparently CB had a  deadline of last wednesday, but Barrowman is still undecided.

this guy clearly isnt interested in ICT...i get the feeling its all about money.

let this clown go i say

I just wish the club would publicly announce they are no longer interested in him so we can all move on. I hope the board share the opinion of the vast majority of the contributors to this thread