FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Intertoto back on??

Interesting comment on Five Live last night from the Newcastle chairman.

He said the Intertoto Cup was a means to an end to enter the UEFA cup, and competition of any sort was far better than playing meaningless pre-season friendlies.

Couldn't agree more sir - and I still havnae booked ma holidays yet :004:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big game today in the Danish league...Aarhus v Odense.

If Odense win they will qualify for UEFA cup, and therefore will not be taking their allocated place in the Intertoto Cup.

Think that means we will play in the Intertoto, but I am far from certain about that.

The Team from Denmark was due to play the winners of Match 13 (Round 1):

DENMARK TEAM v (Lithuiania TEAM v Republic of Ireland TEAM)

I am not sure if there would be a direct swop with ICT but then you would have in the final Round - Round 3:

WINNER v (Hibs v Latvia TEAM or Faroes Island TEAM)

Now that would be interesting.... All IFs at the moment though....

Would keep the costs down - travel to RoI and then game against Hibs :003:

I'm surprised the Danes don't have a fall back nominee in the event that Odense qualify for the UEFA cup direct.

If this Danish story is correct then we would play the winners of Vetra (Lithuania) vs. Shelbourne (RoI). The winners of that match would play the winners of Hibs vs. Dinaburg (Latvia) or Havnar Boltfelag (Faroes) for a place in the UEFA cup proper.

C'mon the Odense and roll on our euro jolly !

Don't know how accurate wikipedia is, but this is what it states

FC København will, as Danish champions, qualify for UEFA Champions League 2006-07 qualification and the Royal League 2006-07. Brøndby IF will, as runners-up, qualify for UEFA Cup 2006-07 qualification and Royal League. Odense BK will, as 3rd placed, qualify for the UEFA Intertoto Cup 2006 and Royal League, while Viborg FF, as the 4th placed team, just qualify for Royal League.

I am none the wiser?????????

Agree with TMFJ on this, this link suggests that Odense will be in Intertoto cup.

LINK

Just scroll down, Danish clubs in position 23.

Possibly BBC article means they will have the chance of qualifying for Uefa through the Intertoto Cup.

[mod="L_G"]Edited to fix link!![/mod]

Okay - Portugal are not taking up their place, so is that not all we need. There are still a few countries not yet decided, so is it just a case of which round we enter, rather than if we do or don't. If Portugal don't use their place and we are first reserve then surely we are in regardless of the other results.

Got to admit I got it wrong about Odense. Think that BBC story was a bit misleading though.

However, as one door closes another may be opening. Belgium are a shoe-in to win the UEFA Fair Play League. That means they get one extra place in the UEFA Cup which would go to the team that finished 4th. AA Gent finished 4th and were also Belgium's Intertoto Cup entrants, therefore they would not be taking up their place in the Intertoto. The problem would be if Belgium had a back-up team for the Intertoto.

Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina are currently under investigation after thousands of pages of phone tap evidence implicated all three clubs in scams to influence the choice of referees for important matches in Serie A. Currently, Juve are the Italian Champions, Fiorentina are in the Champions Leauge and Lazio are in a UEFA Cup spot. However, generally the punishment for this sort of crime in Italian football is relegation - Genoa were relegated from Serie B to Serie C last season for similar offences. If Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina were all relegated Italy's Champions League spots would be taken up by AC Milan, Inter, Chievo and Roma. The UEFA Cup spot woudl go to Palermo, who are currently down to be entered into the Intertoto Cup.

If we are first reserve for the Intertoto, would this open up our entry to the tournament? It's a bit of a longshot as the investigation will no doubt take a long time and will feature appeals etc. There is also the prospect that other clubs coudl be implicated.

A footnote to say that Juventus should be banned for two years or disbanded as a club. They have been 'outed' as running systematic doping programmes for their players and now are revealed to fix matches. They are the most corrupt club in European football. Juve, Juve Vaffanculo.

Wow that's mental! I am planning a rescue mission for Pavel now, I'm sure we could find space for him somewhere :003:

Sorry to say the Belgian door has now closed. AA Gent will play in the Intertoto and Roeselare will take the extra UEFA cup spot for Belgium winning the fair play league. Two other countries will be given an extra UEFA Cup place on June 4th, but it's long odds that that will result in us getting into the Intertoto.

See the Odense story has made teletext! Surely it can't be true after all? Or was it just lifted from this site?