FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The long throw

tm4tj

I say bin the long throw.

Have we ever scored using this tactic? Yesterday we had numerous opportunities in the second half and Grantie took these throw ins to no avail. Why did we persist with this. Every team knows we do this, they pile two or three large defenders on the edge of the six yard box, then wait for Grant to deliver the ball to their heads.

HELLO, HELLO, It's not working, try something different.

And while I am on roll, wy are we so poor at taking corners and free kicks, nothing ever happens.

yours etc........

disgruntled.

:rotflmao:

Guest Spectre

It's not even that long a throw.

To be fair though against a big organised defence sitting back like Hearts, it's always going to be tough to get something, however good (or otherwise) the balls into the box.

What annoyed me was that for just about every throw in from either side, there were 6 Hearts players in proximity and only 3 Caley ones. Did they have more men on the park than us? (No, I'm not counting the ref in this!)

I wouldn't ditch it per say, but the blatant lack of organisation that goes into one of Granty's long throws is our undoing.

It's obvious that the team don't actually work on this in training the way other teams succesful with the long throw do. For example, nobody goes short to drag a defender away from the melting pot, and nobody parks themselves at the edge of the box for when the ball gets cleared.

A bit more organisation, and it could be a useful little weapon.

Another problem caley have is down the wings

a lot of opportunities were made in the second half yesterday with tokely receiving the ball down the right wing, tokely isn't really the man to do this, his distribution is very poor when crossing the ball when he had so many opportunities and wasted them

there was also a lack of caley players in the box.

Very poor game yesterday

very dissapointing

Totally agree with your long throw comment, it barely makes the edge of the six yard box, hardly Delap proportions.

As for wing play its usually the opposition that exploit this tactic, highlighted in the recent Celtic and Motherwell games when Loovens and Porter respectively scored from wide play . Funnily enough I think it was Robson who excelled for us out wide, so it was a while ago.

Heres a suggestion: The ICT pitch has to be one of the largest playing surfaces in Scotland, as our style of play does'nt utilise this width why not re line the pitch and move the touchline in a couple of metres. This should tighten things up a bit. I vaguely remember Bolton did this for a European game but I can't remember if it was a success. I don't know if there are any rules about changing the pitch dimensions mid season and I'm Tommy C might have something to say about the suggestion.

Pitch dimensions have to be registered with the SFA/SPL before the start of each season and can't be changed part way through unfortunately.

The subject of our pitch dimensions has come up on here a few times in the past with the suggestion being that since we can't, and don't, use it to our advantage and other teams coming here do that it should be changed.

As someone said above, we've had nobody able to make use of the width since Barry Robson, and I really don't see anyone within the current squad that's coming through that will utilise it so perhaps a rethink is needed.

I wouldn't ditch it per say, but the blatant lack of organisation that goes into one of Granty's long throws is our undoing.

It's obvious that the team don't actually work on this in training the way other teams succesful with the long throw do. For example, nobody goes short to drag a defender away from the melting pot, and nobody parks themselves at the edge of the box for when the ball gets cleared.

A bit more organisation, and it could be a useful little weapon.

Excellent point (**** me did I say that) - I have never seen a dead ball (corner) routine that you could say - that was a training ground routine !!

And why doesnt anyone at least give the option of a short throw ? - at least taking two more peeple out of the box.

As someone said above, we've had nobody able to make use of the width since Barry Robson, and I really don't see anyone within the current squad that's coming through that will utilise it so perhaps a rethink is needed.

Xander is the only one I could think of that might offer something?

Xander is the only one I could think of that might offer something?

Vigurs ?

Zander, I think this might be the only way/place to play the lad, just can't see him being given the opportunity any time soon unfortunately.

Vigurs, whilst I think he could do a job out wide I think he'll prove more effective playing inside a wide player and pushed a bit further forward. Some of his runs from these positions are class, and his ability to play a defence splitting pass through the middle is evident....if only he could get more opportunity to make use of it!! There's perhaps even an argument for giving Vigurs a shot in front of a middle 4 in direct support for a front man as he's got that kind of vision for a game I think.

Get your own thread, we have discussed wingers, the width of the pitch, defence splitting passes, regulations, Vigurs and Zander and even Barry Robson.

THE LONG THROW, SECOND EDITION, VOLUME 2, STARTS HERE.

A couple of seasons ago, didn't the BBC go around all the clubs to find out who had the longest throw and Granty came out on top?

But yes the long throw doesn't work! It pretty much gives the opposition a chance to clear the ball each time and I'd like to know if we've lost a couple of goals from counter attacks straight from them, where it should be us scoring!

Zander and Vigurs I think have the flair needed for a wing man, but I don't think we'll see them uttilised properly for them to be effective in that positions.

Get your own thread, we have discussed wingers, the width of the pitch, defence splitting passes, regulations, Vigurs and Zander and even Barry Robson.

THE LONG THROW, SECOND EDITION, VOLUME 2, STARTS HERE.

Not totally off thread, with a narrower pitch "the long throw" might just reach that little nearer the goal; still a crap predictable tactic though.

It was scotsport on STV that did all the challenges. I remember Brown won the goalie keepy uppies by a country mile. I think Granty's throw may have been one of the top ones. But Rory Delap he aint.

Also think Hart got hardest/fastest shot. Which suprised me.

I say bin the long throw.

Have we ever scored using this tactic? Yesterday we had numerous opportunities in the second half and Grantie took these throw ins to no avail. Why did we persist with this. Every team knows we do this, they pile two or three large defenders on the edge of the six yard box, then wait for Grant to deliver the ball to their heads.

HELLO, HELLO, It's not working, try something different.

And while I am on roll, wy are we so poor at taking corners and free kicks, nothing ever happens.

yours etc........

disgruntled.

:rotflmao:

i totally agree the long throw is so predictable and you would think that brew would be practicing corners and free kicks as we are rubbish at them