FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Striker pecking order

Yngwie

First time posting for me and its the perfect topic!!

Rooney is just not up to it and to be honest he has been like that from day one. Fair enough he was top scorer last year but its not exactly a total to be proud off. He adds nothing to the team and i have never seen a slower footballer in my life!! Its as if our fans are giving him more of a chance cos he has a famous surname giving them an easy chant at games!!!

Foran and either sanchez or odhiambo for me

I think Rooney could be decent poacher. Before anyone says it I know he missed a couple of good chances on Saturday but every striker has there off days. I thought his hold up and link up play on Saturday was far better than I have seen from him before. And remember you have to be in the right place at the right time to get these chances he missed. He's still young and compared to Barrowman he's world class. If he gets a decent chance in the team, even from the bench, I think he could get a decent goals total this season. I couldn't believe some of the people around me on Saturday, getting on at him for being slow when a long ball was hit miles away from him, it seems he can do no right in some peoples eyes just now. He should have scored on Saturday but you could probably say that about every striker in the league a few times a season.

The only problem is that I really don't see him and Foran as a partnership. I think the best bet is to have him on the bench and through him on if we are needing a goal because to me he's bound to get himself a chance.

What is is Brewster was always telling us "league tables don't lie"...

If thats the case then Rooney, has to be given more of a chance, because if it's down to minutes on pitch/goals scored then he has a higher ratio than any of the other strikers. Barrowman has missed more sitters than Rooney... that's for sure.

Mods can you please change the title of this thread to 'Biggest over-reaction thread ever'

You've written Sanchez off after one game so you're just as bad! :P

I didn't think Rooney had a great game for a striker but in terms of playing a target man style role he did well. As with the majority I would expect to see Foran start most games and I personally liked having Sanchez as a second, "further back" forward but to be honest I would be pretty happy with any of the rest of them partnering Foran.

Mods can you please change the title of this thread to 'Biggest over-reaction thread ever'

You've written Sanchez off after one game so you're just as bad! :(

I didn't think Rooney had a great game for a striker but in terms of playing a target man style role he did well. As with the majority I would expect to see Foran start most games and I personally liked having Sanchez as a second, "further back" forward but to be honest I would be pretty happy with any of the rest of them partnering Foran.

:D

Fair point but I just rated Sanchez's's's's performance on the day and because he is new to the club he needs to work his way up the pecking order. Rooney did enough last season and during the game to show he has plenty to offer the club... I don't think he'll be prolific but I he will still be a very important player this season (even if he only manages to chip in with another 6 goals)

You'll soon end up with a Renegade line-up by having Djebi-Zadi up front through default. Strikers miss chances. Fact.

I was gonna mention in my earlier post I couldn't wait for Renegade's take on this but forgot. :D I expect something along the lines of:

Striker Pecking Order:

• Djebi-Zadi
  • Tokely
  • Foran
  • Odhiambo
  • Get rid of the rest to save up wages and buy some Costa-Rican no-ones ever heard of.

You forgot to stick TB and CB on the list.

Rooney is just not up to it and to be honest he has been like that from day one. Fair enough he was top scorer last year but its not exactly a total to be proud off. He adds nothing to the team and i have never seen a slower footballer in my life!! Its as if our fans are giving him more of a chance cos he has a famous surname giving them an easy chant at games!!!

I totally agree. He would be a decent partner with Foran, beacause he is more physical and good in the air. Rooney is a decent finshed though. Hes just no good at chasing ball over the top, he likes balls into his feet.

Totally agree With you there, i,ve seen milk turn quicker!!! And all these idiots that love barrowman should get a bloody grip of themselves, he's a TW@T!!!!!!!!!!

post-4704-1250012659.jpg

I see it being Sanchez and Foran, with Barrowman or Odhiambo as bench players. Rooney will become a reserve and i wouldn't be suprised if Sutherland would be ahead in case of injury.

totally agree with your choices and i feel the same about rooney just dont think he is good enough

Get a grip folks. Everyone seems to be writting someone or two or three off. Cant finish, cant turn, too slow, Injury prone etc etc. They all have their strengths, and each weaknesses. Foran seems to be without doubt our chosen one, because he can finish, he plays like it means something to him and he has done it at a much higher level and on a regular basis.

Roooney was top scorer last season, and with probably the least amount of time on the park, so he must have something others dont. He has scored already this season, and will again until he hits double figures this season me thinks.

Barrowman is a penalty box player, a poacher, or a finisher. The way we should have a lot of pressure against teams this season he can score a load of goals, and I expect double figures.

Sutherland is a very promising prospect, and should get a good number of subs appearances this year. Depending on how he does, as he is just a loon, he will get more and more time to show what we have. By the end of the season he could be quite an important player for us, if he gets the chance, as this also depends on the previous mentioned goal getters.

Eric Odihambo will also get a chance because Tel likes him a lot. He will get time against some of the slower defences we play. And will come on in tight games to stretch the game too. Once he recoveres from the sore foot it will be interesting to see how soon he gets a game.

Sanchez will play most games, as a provider that can finish, but not as an out and out striker. Hope he gets to play in the hole behind a front two, and not as the support for a sole striker.

So we have a good number of options that will likely be fully used this season.

I however think that Foran will be first name, with Rooney and Barrowman playing swapshop, and Sutherland and Odiambo on the bench regular to suit the needs.