ICT -V- Morton : matchday thread

Scotty

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree with everybody, this is more like it and best game I've seen at home for a while. Still a little shaky at the back but even when they scored you felt there was still more goals to come. Sanchez was excellent today and has the potential to be really good playmaker. The players really go stuck in today and if we can keep turning in performances like this we will will be hard to beat. If he can keep the same squad for the next while I am sure it can only get better. Bring on the County.

Excellent result. Rooney was excellent the only disappointments were conceding a goal and Barrowman's miss. Just a shame after two such great wins we haven't moved up any places.

Two more great wins and we could be top of the table.

I thought this was a very solid and assured performance today. If Butcher sticks with the core of this team we will soon be up there battling with the leaders.

Yet another top class performance, 9 goals in 2 games, 2 hat tricks in 2 games and 4 games unbeaten, it all makes good reading. Every player did there undoubted best and it was pleasing to see how little the Morton goal affected them. Came right out of the traps in the 2nd half and Rooney took every goal well, though i didn't see the 1st(due to a bathroom break.)

Hayes and Cox came on and made their own good contributions to the game, while Barrowman missed a sitter.

Bring on County.

spot on, cant remember the last time i enjoyed a home game so much

ICT 1-0 Ross County in the ALBA Cup?

i didnt enjoy that game as much as today to be honest, it made up a bit for the league defeat but we were shaky and it was a very close game.

Today i saw hunger, passion, energy, skill and teamwork in abundance not to mention some very good goals, so for me today was a lot more enjoyable than the county game.

Absolutely the best fun I have had a TCS for a couple of seasons, fun fun fun. I am not going to single anyone out, but Golly was brilliant and demands, nay demands the captains arm band. Sanchez was a hungry harrier in midfield, the best game I have seen Counsellor Fo_ran play, what a versatile player he is. Esson was unworried. Rooney, lived up to the well-publicised faith that I have had in him, strength to strength. He will be going for ?1m at the end of the season. (whatever) Duncan should have got two goals, but must learn not to lean back when shooting. Imrie ran and ran and ran and tat wa good enough, and pleased that Hayes got a turn as he too, will have big part to play. I ws very impressed with Bully, not because of his flukey goal, but from his probing and yes, circular run upfield, are you listening McBain? Granty was ***** and will be gone at the end of the season, ah ennui, and that's about it.

In honour of Helloween blude red wine has been taken, but I am very happy and moderately optimistic.

The most enjoyable home game this season I reckon. Great result and it could of been more, but on the whole, I don't think there was three goals between the two teams but ICT deserved to win. Morton weren't exactly amazing, but they did have a couple of chances. The standouts for me today were obviously Rooney, Foran and Sanchez. Rooney strangely enough didn't do much else than score his goals, but after all, that's what he's there for and he took each one well. He could've even had four or five today, with the Morton keeeper excellently saving a goalbound header of his, just after he's scored the penalty. Foran was very hard working and has some leap on him. Again, he was all over the pitch and switching with Imrie regularly on the wing and Sanchez now an again. The only thing about him though, is he seems awfully hot headed at times, and the impression I got was he was taken off before he was sent off. For me, that was the best I've ever seen Sanchez. He looked quite good going forward, and passing to wings was excellent. Seemed to beating men on the wings as well today which was very good and fairly effective.

Of the rest, Proctor had a productive if quiet game. The same could be said for Duncan, who was effective at times knocking the ball wide, but did have a few spells of his regular wayward passes. Imrie was good but maybe tries too hard. He was good and hardworking on the wings, but could do with improving his first touch and not going for the glory himself all the time. There was a couple of times when he should of knocked the ball into the box, but instead went on his own to the line, which wasn't as effective.

Of the backline, Esson barely had a save to make but had no chance with the goal. How refreshing it is to see a goalie in an ICT shirt just rolling or throwing the ball out wide. Far better than Michael Fraser's tactics of holding it, holding it and holding it somemore, and then punting the ball aimlessly forward as hard as he could. Tokely didn't have the best of first halves from what I could see but was better in the second. He was like a battering ram at times down the right wing, and his slinky keepy uppys on the byline to knock the ball out for a corner were ace. :lol: The only thing is now is that he seems to get quite puffed out towards the end of games. Maybe not fully fit just yet. Bulvitis seems to get better every week and took his goal well. Look the more solid of the two centre backs today, but needs to look for a pass times instead of hoofing the ball forward. He could've had two or three as well today! Golabek was fairly effectively down the left flank though was quiet for spells, but solid nonetheless. Don't know if he's the absolute answer but will do for now with his current performances. Munro wasn't his best today, but wasn't bad. The first 20 minutes or so he looked a bit shakey, and at one point punted the ball to a Morton man on the wing, and then a wayward pass to a Morton striker about 20 feet away led to a Morton attack, all in the space of a minute. As the game went on he became better and seems to have finally realised that these long hoof down the middle are no use and seems to be punting the ball wide to Imrie down the right today which was good, especially when the latter was in space. Not an overly bad day at the office for him.

Of the substitutes, Hayes look very good when he came on. Fairly fast and can beat a man as well. I like him. Cox didn't have much time to do much, but still did alright. Barrowman was unlikely not to score in the last minute. It could've been either him or Sanchez to knock it home, but in the end it was neither. Snazzy boots mind. :022:

For me today, the unusually unhatted Butcher got it right today. A fluid sort of style was used, with the front four, especially Foran and Imrie changing fairly reguarly, with Proctor or Duncan occaisonally peeling out to the wing as well. It reminded me of last seasons Man U with many players not playing a set positions. Passing and first touches were a heck of a lot better today asw ell, but a couple still need to work on them. It's been obvious for months that attacking football has to be used, especially at home if ICT was to get promoted this season, and today we got just that. I'm not going to count my chickens yet, but if ICT keep playing the way they are, promotion is not an impossible dream this season.

i think ur wrong i think rooney did more for the team than just score his workrate of closing down the central defenders was outstanding but id agree with everything else :D

Absolutely the best fun I have had a TCS for a couple of seasons, fun fun fun. I am not going to single anyone out, but Golly was brilliant and demands, nay demands the captains arm band.

Totally agree. It was like watching the Golly of old. Absolutely immense.

Absolutely the best fun I have had a TCS for a couple of seasons, fun fun fun. I am not going to single anyone out, but Golly was brilliant and demands, nay demands the captains arm band.

Totally agree. It was like watching the Golly of old. Absolutely immense.

He was doing all the shouting and pointing, and telling Munro what should be done, as far as I could see. Old head, but still some life in the legs too.

Just back from the game - well, lets face it, we don't usually have much to celebrate after a home game! :lol:

Have to agree with all that's been written before, Foran being the standout, and maybe Golly too.

There was nothing between the teams up till the first goal and then we suddenly came to life. Could we maybe come to life a bit earlier next time?

I wonder how it would have ended if Morton had scored first though, which at one stage was quite likely. Not being negative - just adding a bit of balance to the euphoria, which is maybe a bit premature.

Great result though and I'm cautiously optimistic.

renegade said " I don't think there was three goals between the two teams but ICT deserved to win".

He was of course right, we did deserve to win, and there was not three goals between the teams. It was more like six or seven goals between the teams.

This was a throwback to the rampaging style of bygone days. At the end of the game Morton were simply ran ragged. Just when they thought it was all over for them, wee Jonny joined in with the game and tore them a new one. Quiet first quarter and then we opened the throttle. Rooney was just superb. His second goal was a brilliant placed shot which looked in as soon as it left his boot. No slackers today with Rooney getting the headlines deservedly, but everyone played their part. I was particularly impressed with Proctor playing in the deep midfield slot with Duncan. This seems to be working well for both of them. Imrie's only downfall was his final ball options, usually choosing the wrong one, however he had a good day. Sanchez was looking good as was Foran. The Samba flair was back as we horsewhipped the Ton rearguard time and time again and could have doubled our tally.

No complaints from me.

Yet another top class performance, 9 goals in 2 games, 2 hat tricks in 2 games and 4 games unbeaten, it all makes good reading. Every player did there undoubted best and it was pleasing to see how little the Morton goal affected them. Came right out of the traps in the 2nd half and Rooney took every goal well, though i didn't see the 1st(due to a bathroom break.)

Hayes and Cox came on and made their own good contributions to the game, while Barrowman missed a sitter.

Bring on County.

Not sure I totally agree with the highlighted part. We seemed to lose a bit of shape and discipline when Morton scored, it was as if panic was about to set in for about 7-10 minutes after (I commented on it via Twitter at the time). However, we did prevent it taking grip and settled back in to the game and stopped Morton dictating the run of play for too long.

That, for me, was evidence that we might just have a team out there that's turned a corner, because it's moments like that which have been our downfall a few times this season and they'll now have the belief and confidence to ride through moments like that in future.

We were a bit unfortunate to lose the goal. It should have been cleared a couple of times, but a couple of ricochets and bobbles saw the ball return to the feet of the Morton players. Still, Morton were guff and we looked pretty comfortable for the most part.

Hayes looked good when he came on and Barrowloads looked woeful missing the easiest chance of the match with just about the last (mis)kick of the match. My granny could have scored that - and she's dead.

I think folk are being harsh on Barrowman with that chance. The ball from Cox (?) was unfortunately just behind him as he ran into the box. He couldn't do too much with it as a result. Given he was only on for a matter of minutes and only had that one chance I fail to see how his performance could be described as woeful.

Oh right, I don't usually enjoy games that aren't very good.

:lol:

ZING!

Game was easy. Morton are garbage. Thought all the guys did well on Saturday. Some slack play at times but it wasn't overly costly but maybe want to iron out a few misjudged clearences, poor passing etc. But on the whole a great performance. I think Foran whines more than Duncan and that's saying something! He was an excellent foil for Rooney and had some great set up play. Rooney took his goals very well indeed.

I thought both Sanchez and Imrie supported the attack well. There was still very little creativity coming through the middle but with both Dougie and "Juanjo" out wide then maybe that won't be too much of a problem. I did notice the swapped quite frequently during the game as well and Danni often came infield to try and start something through the middle.

Despite some static defending for Mortons goal and a feather weight punch from Esson in the second half I can't say the defence looked too troubled at all to be honest. All in all a very happy day to be an ICT fan - for once!

Edited by RiG