FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Scotland manager

Yngwie

Here we go again.

With Burley set for the chop this week, who should replace him?

There doesn't seem to be any obvious choice. Strachan would surely have been favourite if the SFA had done the right thing when the last qualifying campaign ended, but he is now at Middlesborough. Even Souness has ruled himself out, saying that not even the likes of Wenger couldn't do anything with this team.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckon Craig Levein should be the man for the job,I grudgeingly accept he has done well with limited resources in his current position and reckon he's one of the few up and coming managers Scotland could afford and could possibly turn things round in the longer term, if given the time.

Assuming Alex Ferguson, Davie Moyes (although he's taken an underfunded Everton as far as they can) and Owen Coyle (he's Scots really) rule themselves out (as seem likely) and we're only employing Scots (I disagree that any international team should have a foreign manager - why shouldn't the USA be able to have all foreign players from Spain and Italy then? What's the difference between a player and a manager?)

1. Craig Levein (good on limited resources but I don't think he wants the job)

2. Jim Jefferies (wonders with Falkirk and Hearts, plus keeping Killie in the SPL despite the cuts - also at the right age where he might fancy a crack)

3. George Graham (been out of it but no denying his talent)

4. Kenny Dalglish (see George Graham)

5. Bobby Williamson (did well at Hibs and especially Killie, plus international experience)

6. Jimmy Calderwood (improved Dunfermline and Aberdeen - might not be popular though with some)

7. Paul Sturrock (did amazingly well with Plymouth, with successes at St Johnstone, Sheffield Wed, Swindon)

8. Joe Jordan (thought he was a decent manager but too content to stay in the shadows?)

9. Graeme Souness (mixed track record as a manager despite big name players - not for me, unless someone like Jordan/Dalglish etc is an assistant)

10. Gary McAllister/Ally McCoist etc (be a decent club manager before international surely)

The problem is the budget the SFA would be willing to allocate.

Any decent manager could secure better conditions in club football.

What Scotland needs is an affordable young(ish) manager with unlimited belief in his own abilities, but untried at this level.

Step forward, Craig Brewster!

:010:

The salary has been reported as being in the region of ?300,000 + bonuses.

Clearly that is not going to attract the top tier of managers. But it is still a remarkable salary for picking the team 10 or so times a year, when the Prime Minister runs the country every waking hour, for less than ?200k.

Walter would do for me, and with the current problems at Rangers, he may want to hedge his bets somewhat !!!

The bigger problem is getting the game itself back on track. It needs ripped apart and put back together again from the ground up with a focus on youth development and streamlining the bureacracy that comes of having so many governing bodies. I think it was Andy Roxburgh who warned of our current predicament many years ago. He may not have been Mr Personality but he did see the warning signs for the international team and we all chose to ignore them .....

The salary has been reported as being in the region of ?300,000 + bonuses.

Clearly that is not going to attract the top tier of managers. But it is still a remarkable salary for picking the team 10 or so times a year, when the Prime Minister runs the country every waking hour, for less than ?200k.

The Irish managers income was quoted on Radio 4 today as ?3million, part funded by industry!!

at the end of the day, the amount on offer for wages is not going to improve the pool of players he has to choose from. We need someone who can get the best out of what he has got at is disposal.

In that respect, I would go for Walter as I mentioned above, or if we could get him for the national team, Craig Levein.

Will it make any difference?

The manager doesn't kick the ball on the park..and whatever his ability in the motivation stakes.........he can't make world-class players where there are none.

Walter Smith and Alex McLeish managed to do alright with largely the same players. And who's talking about world class? All we're talking about is not losing 9 goals to zero against the might of Norway, Japan and Wales! Hardly world beaters!!

One things for sure, no manager in their right mind that is in a secure management job - your mcleish's, strachan's, levein's, moye's etc etc are going to come to the scotland job - no one wants it!!

However, at this moment in time, id put a bet on Smithy leaving Rangers after January, and hes the man that could do it, again, in my eyes.