FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Petrol and Diesel

Alex MacLeod

Its come to my notice that a certain boy called john managed to mistake the petrol nozzle for the diesel one at the pumps. Even though everyone knows the petrol nozzle is green and the diesel one black. (I know its not the same at all stations) And besides not many chances come up to take the mick out of him.

Anyway, my question....You cant put diesel in a petrol car because the nozzle is bigger and shouldn't fit into your filler, unless you've a very old car. The fuel pump manufacturers spend a lot of money researching ways that the opposite, like what Johnboy done, can't happen. So far nothings come up.

One problem is that we dont have a colour standard for hoses at all stations. BP use the green and black route. Shell is all black but with different nozzles. Others vary. It is estimated that some 400 people make this error every day. What would you all suggest that could be done to reduce this.

Oh! and Johnboy, reference to your predicament is just a bit of rib tickling to keep you :lol: You'll be :) when Richard presents the bill.

This generally happens when there are two cars in the family/business etc, one being petrol and the other diesel( johnboys case) its pretty easy to do putting petrol in the diesel filler when you are in a hurry/mind on other things.

We have had cases where diesel has been squeezed into a petrol filler ( it took the woman ages and she still didnt get it) the trouble arises when you dont notice the error and attempt to drive away.

Making the diesel neck square and the petrol round might help, but the cost would be enormous.

I've seen cases where people have somehow managed to get Diesel into a modern Petrol car...despite the apparent full proof nozzle size solution.

The obvious answer is different shaped nozzles as opposed to different sized ones, or you could have a "Notch" with it being at the top for petrol and bottom for diesel, you'd have to put the nozzle in upside down then to get it wrong.....this solution has the added benefit of allowing you to offer it as a retrofit to existing vehicles.

Is it beyond technology to fit all new cars with a chip embedded in the neck of the tank and to market separate installable chips for older vehicles - one type for petrol, the other for diesel? All you would need to do then would be to instal corresponding sensors in the pump nozzle which would set a loud alarm off, or even make the pump fail to work, if they sensed a chip of the wrong type.

Is it beyond technology to fit all new cars with a chip embedded in the neck of the tank and to market separate installable chips for older vehicles - one type for petrol, the other for diesel? All you would need to do then would be to instal corresponding sensors in the pump nozzle which would set a loud alarm off, or even make the pump fail to work, if they sensed a chip of the wrong type.

It's entirely possible.

Presumably the motor industry as a whole makes a lot of money from these mistakes! As do the forecourts, who still charge for the petrol, and then charge you again when you come back to fill up correctly. Not that I blame them.

There are a few gadgets on the market to prevent 'misfuelling'.One is Fuel Angel.

See on www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/installation.asp

Sorry, can't do the linky thing.

And no, I havn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I know a man who has - cost ?3600 to put right but was able to claim off insurance, few companies will cover you for this.

Why not call one of them petrol, and the other one diesel.

No thats a sensible solution...it would never work. :)

I don't posses a car myself so have never had the Diesel/Petrol problem. I'm assuming that on many cars these days you need a key to unlock the filler cap. How about putting a Petrol or Diesel tag / key fob and the key ring concerned.

Also, when you open the filler cap, isn't the smell of the fuel a give away or does blend into the background of the general petrol station odour?

I still can't believe I did it....I've been driving diesel cars since the mid-nineties. One of the reasons for doing this was filling up at a different petrol station - I normally use Morrisons, but on freezing cold Sunday morning, having been to B&Q, it was more convenient just to use the Esso filling station next door and as Alex has pointed out the colour codes for the nozels are not always the same. I also didn't get a receipt there (automatic at Morrisons) and if I had I might have noticed I'd filled up with petrol.

Reading some of the horror stories on the internet, and from Ms Guzz (above) I'm awful glad I took the car to Caley100.... Could be very easy to get ripped off in a situation like that.

The only problem I'm left with now is having to live with the smug, self-satisfied expression on you-know-who's face...

I know what she'll say next time she's with me when I fill up....probably for the rest of her life... :)

The only problem I'm left with now is having to live with the smug, self-satisfied expression on you-know-who's face...

I know what she'll say next time she's with me when I fill up....probably for the rest of her life... :(

No no no. The biggest problem you'll have is smug, self-satisfied people HERE, for the rest of your life.

:030:

Mrs L got a new automatic (her choice) after her last mini mishap, and she did the same , managed to put petrol into a diesel car, we have the same colour hoses here, but bless she realised what she had done, frantic phone call to our friendly garage, and he drained the system, for 150gbp, so no pocket money for her

I know what she'll say next time she's with me when I fill up....probably for the rest of her life... :(

No no no. The biggest problem you'll have is smug, self-satisfied people HERE, for the rest of your life.

:030:

We wouldn't do that kind of thing now........would we? :030: :(

Just wait till hybrid cars are more common then someone will try and pour electricity into the tank.

Aye... electricity that's been generated in a power station by burning more fossil fuel because renewable sources have already been spoken for against other uses.

Oh, but there's also the alternative of hydrogen power... from hydrogen made by electrolysing water using electricity from a power station.... etc etc.

There's a lot of pseudoscience out there - and that's before I get started on the myth of biofuels grown in spaces which would otherwise be used for growing food anyway.

Hey Gringo... have you never put petrol by mistake into your diesel locomotive? :030:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

A stick on chip issued by DVLA with your road tax to fix to your car and a reader on every pump nozzle would be the simplest solution and could be implemented quicker allowing untaxed, uninsured and/or non MOTed vehicles to be excluded from fuelling.