FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Food dictatorship?

Fat-busting laws are branded ?nonsense?

22 Feb 2010

Restaurants, fast-food outlets and supermarkets will have to cut portion sizes or face legal action under a new Government plan to combat obesity in Scotland.

In addition to standardising portion sizes in ready meals and restaurants, the Government will scrutinise the composition of meals and snacks and assess the calorie value of linked products sold as ?meal deals?.

The measures were unveiled yesterday by Public Health Minister Shona Robison as part of proposals to tackle the ?ticking time bomb? of overweight Scots. However, her proposals were met with scorn by leading restaurateurs, who branded them unenforceable nonsense.

This is the top few paragraphs of The Herald's version of a story which has been doing the rounds today. I find it breathtaking that politicians are presuming to dictate to us by law what we can eat in a restaurant and what we can now. This verges on Stalinism.

And all of that before you even think that this is being proposed by a party led by a man who looks as if he himself has indulged in a great deal too many ?9000 lunches!

And all of that before you even think that this is being proposed by a party led by a man who looks as if he himself has indulged in a great deal too many ?9000 lunches!

:024: Yes, I would have thought he would have been one of the first to complain.

Yeap..... Sounds perfect!

Best Bet for Cardiac Arrest

The Coronary Burger Special at Dangerous Dan's

Famous for its massive 24-ounce hamburgers, this spoon with attitude will grill you up two 8-ounce beef patties, layer them with a heart-attack-inducing four slices of bacon and two of cheddar and plop a fried egg on top. Sided with fries 'n' gravy (pay extra and go for poutine instead), this artery-hardener comes with optional mayonnaise.

714 Queen East, 416-463-7310

Yeap..... Sounds perfect!

Best Bet for Cardiac Arrest

The Coronary Burger Special at Dangerous Dan's

nahh, thats wimpy at only 16oz (no pun intended) .... the Quadruple C is where it is at:

Quadruple C

"Collosal Colon Clogger Combo"

24oz burger served with a quarter pound of cheese, a quarter pound of bacon, and 2 fried eggs. Also comes with a large shake and a small poutine (chips and gravy with lashings of cheese curds).

colonclogger11.jpg

or maybe the 72oz steak at the LoneStar

HugeSteak1.jpg

In addition to standardising portion sizes in ready meals and restaurants, the Government will scrutinise the composition of meals and snacks and assess the calorie value of linked products sold as ?meal deals?.

Anyhow, to get back on topic (that I dragged off) ..... this is just ludicrous ! It is not the job of government to micro-manage down to this level ... if someone wants to eat healthy they will, if they want to go for a buffet luch they will ....

What next, not allowing pubs to sell crisps or nuts with beer as the combined calorific value is too high? Cant have a pie and a bovril at the footie for the same reason? or can you flash your gym membership card and get extra because you will work it off?

total and utter tosh and completely unenforcable where the only thing getting thinner will be the public purse.

I have had a Kilo Burger (that's 2.2lbs or 35 Ozs)....in fact, I had one and a half as I finished someone elses. Seemed like a fun idea at the time, but my sphincter was of a differing opinion the following day when it passed the remains and I thought "this must be what giving birth feels like".

I have had a Kilo Burger (that's 2.2lbs or 35 Ozs)....in fact, I had one and a half as I finished someone elses. Seemed like a fun idea at the time, but my sphincter was of a differing opinion the following day when it passed the remains and I thought "this must be what giving birth feels like".

:024: :lol::lol::lol::lol: Thats siiicck!

Gluttony-Michael-Moore--39143.jpg

And turns you into an antagonist too, it would seem.

or can you flash your gym membership card and get extra because you will work it off?

Now there's an idea! Maybe they should issue plastic cards on to which you can download an electronic record of your calorie consumption on machines in the gym and also the contents of your GPS if you are a runner or a cyclist. Then you can trade that in against the size of meal the Scottish Government say you are entitled to when you take it to your local restaurant.

Don't knock it! It's not hugely different in principle from the bizarre and rather sad practice of "carbon trading".

In all seriousness, why should the government not bring out legislation to protect our health?

It's called freedom of choice. The so called Nanny State is everywhere.

What's the point of prosecuting Salmond for being too fat anyway? Nicola Sturgeon would just write to the court to demand a non custodial sentence or if he did get put in jail, Kenny MacAskill would just let him out again.

In all seriousness, why should the government not bring out legislation to protect our health?

What's the point of prosecuting Salmond for being too fat anyway? Nicola Sturgeon would just write to the court to demand a non custodial sentence or if he did get put in jail, Kenny MacAskill would just let him out again.

How far do you extend your freedom of choice? At one stage in my life I chose to smoke cannabis but had to give it up due to the fact that drug testing has invaded my privacy to the extent that I can no longer smoke a doobie without fear of jeopardising my career. The government tells me that cannabis is banned for the sake of my health, should that decision be reversed in the name of freedom of choice?

:lol: :015: :015:

Small changes could make a big difference - especially where kids are concerned. It's one thing telling an adult what he can and can't eat. Quite another promoting addictive, dangerous foods to kids. But low-fat chips, wholemeal rolls instead of white low-fibre, sugared bread, lower fat meats with added vegetable protein, less sugar in products etc etc. A huge health benefit for little (actually, I'd say no) sacrifice.