FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Returning Players

RiG

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you respond to former ICT players returning to the TCS?

• Applaud
    • Abuse
    • Not Bothered

Tonight, as discussed elsewhere, sees the return of Wyness to the TCS for Peterhead. Personally I hope that he gets a great reception from the fans before the game but nothing more during the 90 minutes. I think it would be a shame if he was booed by anyone at the ground. Likewise, if Mann or Bavidge were able to play I would like to think that they would get the same reception. Both did well for us, to varying degrees, and I feel that neither deserves to be lambasted by our fans.

We've had players do well for us and move onto teams who, when they return to Inverness, get pelters from the fans. Recently Vigurs got some stick from fans when he returned with Ross County and I seem to recall Mackie also receiving the same "treatment" after his loan spell. John Rankin and Craig Dargo seemed to generate some mildly negative shouts when they returned to face ICT for their new clubs as did Mark McCulloch and Barry Wilson when they went to Livi. This season will see Ian Black come back to Inverness with Hearts and Dougie Imrie play for Hamilton Accies this Saturday. I wonder what kind of reception they might get when they take to the field.

How do you tend to respond when a former ICT player comes back to face us? Do you applaud his past contribution, criticise throughout the game maintaining he was never that good anyway or do you just not care at all?

Edited by RiG
  • Disagree 1

Clearly it depends who it is.

Booing players usually makes them play better (Rossco v St Mirren being a case in point) so the best treatment for a returning villain is probably to ignore them. And laugh loudly at their mistakes.

Like the guy as both a player and a person but his time with us is now consigned to the history books and he's now part of the opposition.

A gentlemanly welcome as he takes to the pitch and then Munro hitting him with a big challenge early doors to give the message that no quarter will be given and then we can just get on with the rest of the game.

I am with CaleyD on this one. warm welcome to the man, but once the game starts he is an opposition player and one of their danger men so needs to be dealt with on that basis.

There was a similar dilemma at the weekend for Toronto fans ..... Carl Robinson spent 3 years with the club until he was traded to New York before the start of this season. Last weekend we played New York and got royally hammered (courtesy of Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez and Juan Pablo Angel as well as the heroics of the NY keeper). With 15 minutes to go, Robbo came on as a sub and he got a tremendous ovation from the supporters. We hadnt been able to wish him goodbye as he went during the close season so he got a great reception. Thereafter he was just one of the opposition and subject to the same treatment. He actually scored a goal 4 minutes after coming on and being the classy guy he is refused to celebrate or wind up his former fans. Respect from us to him and respect from him to us ... very dignified !!!!

I think it's safe to say, RiG, that when the likes of wilson, mcculloch and xsaua went to Livi and dargo went to St Mirren, these guys all seemed to leave for the money. Something that many a football fan would say creates a certain degree of animosity.

Imrie was a hot-head (as shown in the challenge cup final) and although he did great for us, he jumped ship when we (thought) we needed him most.

Wyness and Mann, in my opinion, left to make themselves better players rather than for the money, as did Ian Black to hearts.

It's probably a safe bet as well that any player heading over the bridge will get dogs abuse, purely because they are our nearest rivals. Only Golly would stand out as a player to not get the hostlity treatment, not just because he was our club captain, but because he was fading at ICT and needed to prolong his career. I think he even had loans at peterhead and livingston too, but cant remember.

Imrie went because he wasn't being played. Nothing to do with leaving us in the lurch. There's every chance Black might have stayed had the Board got the finger out. Dargo moved for the location, rather than money - more like Dods than, say, Wilson.

In the case of Dennis Wyness he will get a warm welcome from me when he returns tonight.

As would be the case with the likes of say Wilson, Black, Rankin, Imrie etc.

The only player i would ever boo if he was playing at TCS is Barry Robson. I remember when he played here and scored a few years ago he took to winding up our crowd and jeering at us. After that i never had any real respect for him. :thumbdown:

I appreciate seeing former players in the crowd tbh. Darren Dods was at one of our games against Raith in Kirkcaldy last season and I remember seeing Ian Black when we were playing Partick away. I've never seen any of the former players who are on Peterhead's books at TCS in the ICT end supporting the team. Maybe others have though?

Indeed, darren dods was at Raith. A 1-0 win in midweek fixture if I recall.

I've seen a few faces return to TCS over the years, as well as other stadia.

Liam Keogh used to attend games, as did Hart and Wilson, Bayne and others.

What we must remember though that some have selom had opertunity to get to games becasue they continue to play regular. Wyness being a good example.

Always had a game at Heart, St Mirren, QoS and Dumbarton, and now with Peterhead he's playing every week.

Denis was a decent player for us - always plenty of effort and commitment from him, and several memorable goals.

I also spoke to him on a couple of occasions - a really nice, likeable bloke, but now he'll just be one of the opposition....

Sorry - I doubt if I'll even notice him tonight.... I certainly hope that will be the case!

Wyness was also at Raith to see us in a midweek cup game a few seasons back (when he was at Hearts I think), it was Challenge Cup or league Cup but we won.

Challenge Cup Quarter or Semi Final 1999 I think. We utterly rogered them that thanks to some hysterical keeping from Raimero Gonzalez!

A gentlemanly welcome as he takes to the pitch and then Munro hitting him with a big challenge early doors to give the message that no quarter will be given and then we can just get on with the rest of the game.

Me thinks Munro must read the forum....lol

Wyness was also at Raith to see us in a midweek cup game a few seasons back (when he was at Hearts I think), it was Challenge Cup or league Cup but we won.

Challenge Cup Quarter or Semi Final 1999 I think. We utterly rogered them that thanks to some hysterical keeping from Raimero Gonzalez!

Wyness didnt go to Hearts until 2003...!