FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Chilean Miners Rescue

Sorted

Spent half the night watching this amazing rescue process which looks like will go on for two days.

What amazing courage and spirit these amazing men show as the emerge from a hole 700m underground! Can only imagine the feelings they have experienced over the past couple of months and what emotions must run through their minds as they reach the top. Credit to them all and all those involved in the rescue.

Most of us have it pretty easy in our day jobs.

:werenotworthy:

Edited by Sorted

It will be interesting to hear what was going through their minds during those first 17 days before contact was made. They must have thought that after a few days there was no hope of them being rescued but they seem to have maintained their discipline as a group in consuming what little food and water was available to them. There must be some very strong characters amongst them. Breaking out the Casilero del Diablo sounds most appropriate as they must have thought they were doomed to die in the "devil's cellar".

Brilliant story,happy ending, amazing feat of engineering....and think oh the overtime these guys will get !!

Overtime! They'll be getting the sack - down the mine all that time and what have they produced?

Seriously though, I heard an interesting bit on the radio today when some international union activist was comparing the situation in chile with that in China where apparently several thousand miners die each year.

Only 3 to go now. I have to go to bed but keep just watching one more, that's been for about 2 hours now. I'm definitely not staying up for the last 3.

Amazing scenes though, great to see them re-united with their loved ones

I think that Chile earned a lot of worldwide respect for the way they handled the whole situation. The President was present for the whole rescue, could you see any of our "leaders" doing this? A big well done to the whole country for the way they stuck together and never gave up.:twothumbsup:

It's been a fantastic story and wonderful to see the joyous scenes as miner after miner is reunited with loved ones. Now they can maybe focus on the shambolic arrangements for coordinating Health and Safety which exist in the country and which may well be responsible for putting the miners in that situation in the first place.

I heard something on Sky News about the H&S standards of the mines. Apparently the mines that are run by the state have a very high standard of H&S, it's just the privately owned ones that are death traps. I don't know how many are state owned and how many are private but I bet there will be some snap inspections going on in the near future. better late than never I suppose.