FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

C.C Tactical genius?

Guest Hilts

With Falkirk springing three at the back on us it wasn't really a surprise that they dominated possesion in two thirds of the field , albeit their opener was well worked it was only Grants slip that put Stokes through with only Dods and Brown to beat , apart from all their possession they didn't look that dangerous.

As for tactical genius well it was a decision ( to match their formation ) that needed to be made but I'm not sure if we hadn't conceded the second so early whether CC would have stuck to the 4-4-2 and just made orthodox substitutions.

Fair play to CC for going for it but I can't help but feel that the team eventually twigged how garbage this keeper was around the 65-70 minute mark. You could see the change in tact instantly - get the ball in on this keeper because he was rubbish! Worse than Samson and that's saying something!  :015:

RiG, it was clear from 15 mins in that their keeper was on the Night Nurse - we just couldn't capitalise on it. It's bad enough the media not giving Charlie & Parky credit without us shaking our heads too. Aye, there have been some dodgy moments but it sounds like they got it spot on last week; they made the changes today, when they needed to be made, and to great effect; and that's six games unbeaten. I reckon they're onto something now and, whilst tactical genius might be a moniker too far, at least they're showing better thinking than Brew's old 'get the ball to me, lads, then run like ****, oh and I'll only sub you if you're bleeding'.

My, that was a long post after all these months - back in ma box  :sleep01:

RiG, it was clear from 15 mins in that their keeper was on the Night Nurse - we just couldn't capitalise on it. It's bad enough the media not giving Charlie & Parky credit without us shaking our heads too. Aye, there have been some dodgy moments but it sounds like they got it spot on last week; they made the changes today, when they needed to be made, and to great effect; and that's six games unbeaten. I reckon they're onto something now and, whilst tactical genius might be a moniker too far, at least they're showing better thinking than Brew's old 'get the ball to me, lads, then run like ****, oh and I'll only sub you if you're bleeding'.

My, that was a long post after all these months - back in ma box  :sleep01:

It's definately an vast improvement on CB and his tactics but surely the players didn't need CC and DP to tell them this keeper was mince? Kudos for making the subs for sure though.

I can't really mind him looking dodgy in the first half but 1) I don't mind us having a shot on goal in the first half and 2) I couldn't see what on earth was going on down that end of the pitch!  :015:

Have to admit I was shaking my head in disbelief when I saw McBain and Hastings go off. I couldn't believe that Rankine was staying on cos I thought he was having a poor game !!!!!

Then Hart comes on and is outstanding. Rankine stays on and scores 2 !!!! :015: Have to hand it to CC  :clapping04: and wtf do I know.........eh ? :010:

Has to have been the best and worst game I have ever seen in my life ! For 70 minutes we were as poor as I can remember. Then someone switched the lights on, quite literally, (and I'm thinking...the way we're playing we'd be better leaving the f**kin things switched off!) and before you know it we're 3-2 up !!!! :010: :010: :010: :010: :010:

The way we played in the last 20 mins is how we should be playing every home game. The whole stadium came alive with the football and spirit shown by the team! :notworthy01:

You've got to say that the transformation in the last 20 mins, with the subs and tactical changes were entirely due to the management team....

If CC doesn't win the manager of the month award this month, I'm a Dutchman....

Van der Johnboy....

Maybe Charlie should try playing effectively two teams, one at home and another away.  Its clear that we need to play a different system at home so maybe a bit of squad rotation is required?  We need to be more attack minded at home and going from today 3 up front with Denzil linking between midfield and the strikers seems like the way to go.

i think it was a last throw of the dice for us today which worked. im sorry but i can't bring myself to say that it was tactical genious from CC as we had struggled badly right up until we scored. If we can beat rangers at ibrox, why are we sitting back and letting falkirk come on to us at home??????

I think its about time that we started to take the game to teams at home and show them what a good football team we are.

More attacking at home please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree whole heartedly that CC should play the 3-4-3 or 4-5-2 formation at home.  It seems to put the team into over-drive and attack most of the time.  Just like we used to in the old First Division.  Falkirk just had no answer when the switch was made.  Latapy never saw the ball again and as for Hughes's substitutions, he only wasted time sending them on with 2 minutes to go.

Well done CC for recognising the need to change things, despite the fact that if it was up to me I would have made the switch at half time.  

If this is the way ICT play when they go 2 down then let's give the lead away more often!! :005: The last 20 minutes was like the swashbuckling ICT of old when we used to put 6 goals past teams in the lower divisions.

Charlie's change of tactics after going two down were simply a master-stroke. He called it exactly right. It seemed rash to throw everything into attack by subbing Hastings and McBain for Wyness and Hart - especially when playing against Latapy and Stokes - but it was the only sensible option and his timing was spot-on. Compare this with Brewster's practice of subbing with 5 minutes to go when it was already too late!!

Charlie threw the kitchen sink at them and it was the most exciting 20 minutes of football I have ever seen from ICT. Well done Charlie.

And well done John Rankin. I have been screeming at him to have a dig himself for some weeks now - seems a bit shot-shy at times. But today's goals were of the highest order. He fully deserves the Man-Of-The-Match award.  :clapping04:

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

Just as against Dunfermline we gave Falkirk too much respect for the majority of the match, and once again as soon as we 'went for it' they crumbled like a wet biscuit.

Despite going with 3 at the back, and playing perhaps the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen in professional football, Falkirk were barely tested. I can only remember one decent shot on target for the first 70. Bayne and Dargo got virtually no service or support whatsoever.

Their decision to put 5 across the midfield totally stifled our normal system, it looked like they had 15 men on the pitch they were so dominant. We should have adapted before we found ourselves 2-0 down. Sitting 4 defenders deep in our own half virtually seded the centre of the park, and the flanks to them.

Rankin's first goal was a simple sidefoot around a misplaced wall of midgets on the 'goalies side' which he failed to cover. His second was virtually an OG, the keeper pretty much goofed up what should have been a simple catch, having punched it into his own net John Lucic style for our first (I think it was over the line before Dargos rebound). We were VERY LUCKY with our goals today. Those 2 well executed free-kicks apart Rankin had an absolute mare, in the midfield battle he was a virtual spectator, his passing was shocking, and he didn't get into a dangerous position, beat a man, or put in a single decent cross for the whole game. He and Hastings ended up almost holding hands, they were making the same runs in the same areas so often. Still not convinced by him, but maybe the 2 goals will be the making of him.

On the plus side, Wyness and Hart were terrific today. Hart dribbled the ball about 40 yards almost every time he picked it up, shades of Davie Cooper, he was by far our most dangerous and creative player. Denzyl looked like his old self again, sharp, keen and causing havock with his quick feet and turns, not like the lethargic zombie he's been in recent months.

Anyway, a win is a win no matter how they got there, they got the job done. It seems that ever since he took over Charlie gets all the good luck, and ever since he left Brew gets all the bad luck  :015:

I can't really mind him looking dodgy in the first half but 1) I don't mind us having a shot on goal in the first half....

RiG that's two lapses of memory at yesterday's game now - 1) one shot on goal first half  :001: (have to agree not agood return for 45 mins of play) and 2) Wyness's disallowed goal - whistle had gone before he struck it though....

Are you feeling all right  :015:

I agree whole heartedly that CC should play the 3-4-3 or 4-5-2 formation at home.  It seems to put the team into over-drive and attack most of the time.  Just like we used to in the old First Division.  Falkirk just had no answer when the switch was made.  Latapy never saw the ball again and as for Hughes's substitutions, he only wasted time sending them on with 2 minutes to go.

Well done CC for recognising the need to change things, despite the fact that if it was up to me I would have made the switch at half time.  

I agree... Not only did they take three valueable points yesterday, they learned a **** of a lot as well.

:notworthy01: :notworthy01:

I agree whole heartedly that CC should play the 3-4-3 or 4-5-2 formation at home.

Aye good luck with that!  :015:

RiG that's two lapses of memory at yesterday's game now - 1) one shot on goal first half  :001: (have to agree not agood return for 45 mins of play) and 2) Wyness's disallowed goal - whistle had gone before he struck it though....

Are you feeling all right  :015:

Mentioned on the other thread the only thing I can think of regarding Wyness's 'goal' was that I was too busy hurling a buse at Dougal for a ridiculous decision so looks like I missed whatever happened next.

I seriously though cannot mind anything from the first 45 that was good for ICT. Was pretty shattered and vision a bit hazy... :017:

*Charlie Admits It Wasn't A Tactical Masterstroke*

Christie claimed it wasn't tactical mastery but simply "going for broke" with no other option that precipitated an astonishing turnaround. Yet, the Inverness manager did admit to having identified early on that Higgins seemed afflicted by the heebie-jeebies.

As I mentioned earlier , if we hadn't gone two down so early  I don't think CC would have switched formation until nearly the end - even though it was obvious the 3-5-2 was hurting us...the other thing about the comeback that hasn't been mentioned much is the fact that Russell Latapy is well known for only having a good hour or so of football in his tank - before the fags kick in and he fades out of the game...like he did yesterday. :004:

"Going for Broke" is just as valid a tactic as any other, especially in a league which is shapping up to be so tight that every goal/lost goal could count come the end of the season.

You really are turning in to a bit of a boo-boy RiG - forget the last time I actually saw you on here giving any praise or credit where it was due without countering it with a dig of some form.

You really are turning in to a bit of a boo-boy RiG - forget the last time I actually saw you on here giving any praise or credit where it was due without countering it with a dig of some form.

My posts are often noted for their pessimism but I give plenty of credit as well. Have a hunt around, I was able to find a few posts on Saturday evening that were plenty positive  :003:

Just because I don't laud everything ICT doesn't make me a boo boy. IMHO we were poor right up until about 70 minutes on Saturday. I will not overlook that and allow other things to gloss that over but that's just me.

While at the game though I wil get behind the team. Shame so many other people felt the need to boo the team at half time when only one down and there was still another 45 to play given that we had just beaten Rangers the previous week  :006: Now that would be a real boo boy.