FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Census 2011

Proctor

I see we are having another census. The last one was 2001. Just thinking about how much Inverness and its surrounding areas have grown since then could prove interesting. What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

I have wondered what an accurate population number for sneck is, latest figure i can see is about 44,000 i always thought there were a lot more here than that? find out soon enough i suppose.

I have wondered what an accurate population number for sneck is, latest figure i can see is about 44,000 i always thought there were a lot more here than that? find out soon enough i suppose.

It's a lot more than 44,000 already surely. Think it is around 55,000

Wikipedia (not always a reliable source) had it listed as 70,000 until fairly recently. I have read that figure other places. It seemed to have been lowered since then. My mum said that when she was in school (the 1970s) it was 40,000. It must be around 70,000 to 100,000 now.

I got my form tonight and, according to the rules I must fill it in on or around the 27th or risk a fine of up to a grand. Problem is I go offshore on 21st for two weeks.

Glancing over the questions one asks how do I travel to work and gives a number of possible answers. Trouble is the choices dont include planes and helicopters.

Finally I must tell them about anyone in my house on 27th. So if I have visitors from another city does that mean they cant fill there own forms in and thus risk a fine or will they just be included in the figures for Perth. And if I'm offshore then how do I know who'll be in my house on 27th so am I risking providing false information.

• 2 weeks later...

And if I'm offshore then how do I know who'll be in my house on 27th so am I risking providing false information.

If you want, I'll nip down to your house and let you know who is staying there tonight. :tongue:

What's the deal with Scots? On mine, I put down my language as English only, and as far as I'm aware, Scots is a dialect of English. So how do you know if you can speak it? I'm sure people think they're speaking English (aren't they?) and I can watch as episode of Still Game without a dictionary or subtitles (unlike in the Scheme!) so where does that put me?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

What's the deal with Scots? On mine, I put down my language as English only, as far as I'm aware, Scots is a dialect of English. So how do you know if you can speak it? I'm sure people think they're speaking English (aren't they?) and I can watch as episode of Still Game without a dictionary or subtitles (unlike in the Scheme!) so where does that put me?

You'll have Big Alec and Wee Nicola after you!

[if you want, I'll nip down to your house and let you know who is staying there tonight. :tongue:

You mean like John Terry? :biggrin:

The bad news for Alex is that there aren't enough pages on the form to list them all.

What's the deal with Scots? On mine, I put down my language as English only, and as far as I'm aware, Scots is a dialect of English. So how do you know if you can speak it? I'm sure people think they're speaking English (aren't they?) and I can watch as episode of Still Game without a dictionary or subtitles (unlike in the Scheme!) so where does that put me?

I puzzled over that one too. Looking up Scots language websites and listening to examples, it does appear these days to be nothing more than English spoken with a Scottish accent and with a few regional words thrown in. Do people in England get asked if they speak, understand, read and write Geordie, Scouse or Cockney rhyming slang? You can't seriously ask a question about Scots without defining or explaining what it is.

I've also had to decide whether my baby and toddler consider themselves to be Scottish or British, or both. I tried asking them but they didn't really understand. Maybe I should have asked in Scots. :doh:

• Agree 1

I'm sure thoosands and thoosands of " patriots" will answer positively that they speak " Scots" as they end sentences with "ken",have a "braw" time when out and are" scunnered" with the present government. This will prove without question the demand for Scots to be nurtured,result will be bi lingual road signs being ripped down and replaced with tri lingual replacements and demands for Scots medium schools to teach bairns to add twa an twa to get fower (or should that be fehv! )