FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Russell Duncan & Grant Munro leaving

Renegade

Surely that article can't be true?!?! That leaves us with Tokely as the only centre back! I would definitely have offered Hogg a deal, but maybe he doesn't want to sign for us and has options elsewhere.

This is more of an exodus than when we were relegated.

I wonder if the cull would have been as extreme if the 10 team SPL vote wasn't doomed to failure? If that went through, surely TB wouldn't have risked such a clearout of experienced players.

Interesting times ahead and I'm sure the boss knows what he wants to do. A year from now, if we're a top 6 side..... well, who on here wouldn't grab that with both hands?

I really do wish all the departing players all the very best and thanks for their hard work.

I'm sure TB does know what he wants to do the question is whether it will work. Plugging all the gaps with loanees and frees from English lower league reserve sides is a high risk strategy for ICT and for Butcher.

Personally I believe that while both Roy and Golly are no longer SPL quality, Both Russell and Munro could do a job for at least another couple of seasons. I would be surprised if we find two better replacements in the same wage bracket, which is the only bracket we can afford.

I believe that this is probably the worst mistake in Butcher's tenure at the club but only time will tell whether the manager is right or the majority of fans posting on this thred are.

I got the impression from his radio interview he has players in mind. This could work out well. Or could go disastrously wrong. Can't help but think this player movement stems from the 'clear the air' talks the squad had a while ago.

Personally I believe that while both Roy and Golly are no longer SPL quality, Both Russell and Munro could do a job for at least another couple of seasons. I would be surprised if we find two better replacements in the same wage bracket, which is the only bracket we can afford.

I believe that this is probably the worst mistake in Butcher's tenure at the club but only time will tell whether the manager is right or the majority of fans posting on this thred are.

The reality of this season, with the current players, is that we started with a flyer but have only picked up something like 15 out of the last 57 points. Taken over the season this is potentially relegation form.

Out of 10 players being released, probably only Russell and Grant really raise significant surprise (other than the shock of finding out that Bluminwho is still actually with us - I think we have seen more of Lord Lucan at the TCS this year!).

Is it really so radical?

I got the impression from his radio interview he has players in mind. This could work out well. Or could go disastrously wrong. Can't help but think this player movement stems from the 'clear the air' talks the squad had a while ago.

TB's body language (showing nervousness) on STV suggests that he knows that this move is likely to be controversial.

The worrying thing i am thinking of is the experience we have lost, and how many players have been released, we arent exactly going to bring in experienced SPL star's as there arent any available, so how long are players from elsewhere going to adapt to the SPL quickly, and how long are the practically new first team going to gel?

Teams dont do aswell with 5 or 6 changes to the starting 11, whereas 1 or 2 'tweaks' make all the difference, to start with anyway. My only worry is how long do we take to gel, and if we dont gel, it might be too late by the time we realise.

I do have faith though. Dissapointed, but it was only a matter of time before we had 'Butchers Team', rather than him inherit someone else's. Butcher obviously has some good contacts though.

Edited by Kylef

Judged upon the bit of a slump in the last couple of months it is probably not surprising that TB has lost patience.

I only hope that such a decisive , almost draconian, action does not reverberate as quickly on the club as it was taken.

Time will tell. the Manager has his rights to do what he thinks is best but the fans probably deserve greater reassurance than what is currently not being made available. It';s the fans that pay tyhe bills is it not?

He has surely justified his cause tonight for a new contract. He could have not bothered his arse with half of the defending he did tonight but we all know he is better than that and that for me is the reason why he should stay.

At least give him a year Butcher.

OMG OMG! Just saw TB on STV! He said we WILL be top six next year!!!

'bout bloody time. I've been sayin it for years...

Well, now that the pre-split games are finally done, we only missed it by 3 points: 41 to Motherwell's 44, with a better goal diference.

Motherwell's the only team in the top six with a negative goal difference, and we're the only team in the bottom six with a positive difference. If we vote for AV tomorrow, can we be top six this year?

OMG OMG! Just saw TB on STV! He said we WILL be top six next year!!!

'bout bloody time. I've been sayin it for years...

Well, now that the pre-split games are finally done, we only missed it by 3 points: 41 to Motherwell's 44, with a better goal diference.

Motherwell's the only team in the top six with a negative goal difference, and we're the only team in the bottom six with a positive difference. If we vote for AV tomorrow, can we be top six this year?

Either way, I still have to pay AM in to the Accies game. I may even treat him to a Churchillian rant afterwards.

This is my first opportunity to get to my computer since the news on the departures.

To release Munro and to a slightly lesser extent, Duncan, is truly unbelievable !

Just a couple of hours ago we had a superb victory over Celtic, for me though the whole mood is tainted over this.

This club is where it is because of guys like Munro and Duncan, the very basis of how the big success story was formed.

I could go on about this for ages, suffice to say I think Butcher has erred on this. He has done really really well since coming here, but I honestly think this is a shocking decision and not to the benefit of the club.

I will genuinly be delighted to come on here in a year eating humble pie. Have my doubts though.