FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hayes Aberdeen FC Official (Maybe)

Donview

I appreciate that Aberdeen are not at the level where they used to be but the fact is that they can offer him a lot more than we can. Can you honestly say that if you were offered the chance to be paid 2 - 3 times more for doing the same job you wouldn't do it?

It's a real disappointment that we have lost such a great player but it's not as if we didn't know his contract was running down. When Foran was offered a new deal why wasn't Hayes?

What nonsense he's on about. The same old stuff about how big a club Aberdeen are, you'd think it was Barcelona he was signing for! I can't say the move surprises me though however and (going by some of the stories about his behaviour [his involvement in the Lee Cox assault incident for one]), he never did strike me as one of the sharper tools in the toolshed. Ah well, the Caley Curse will strike again!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

What nonsense he's on about. The same old stuff about how big a club Aberdeen are, you'd think it was Barcelona he was signing for!

Cliched PR puff to calm the Aberdeen fans who were getting frustrated at the fact the transfer took forever to actually be confirmed.

Bit of a difference though. Robson went to Dundee United who were in the league above ICT at the time. Cowie went to the Championship with Watford.

That's the thing here, if Hayes had signed for Bristol City for example, as was rumoured a while back, I think the ICT fans - like they did with Rooney - would see how he was going to a far bigger team, in a better league and unanimously wished him well. Hayes hasn't done that though, he's moved sideways for nothing more than money and that attitude could be detrimental to him in the long run.

• Agree 3

More money perhaps but to a team which is not that much better at all than ICT --so if he continues to shine amid the relative mediocrity around him and comes out still shining at the end of the season why is that not a good move for him? If he went to a bigger team with a lot of so-called stars in it then he might not stand out so much.

He is not from Inverness so he can hardly be called a disloyalist and he is still very young and not THAT experienced a player so if he keep his cool, and his mouth shut and does the business on the field, I think he could ultimately get a very good move south within 2 seasons. At his stage he has plenty of time to develop and is quite entitled to move on to pastures new if he is ambitious.

Good luck Jonny; just concentrate on working hard and doing the business.

• Agree 1

God, how quickly the fans turn. Whatever HIS decision was, whether it be football or financial then he was a good servant when he was with us so I wish him well, whether its the right move or not time will tell but it was his choice to make.

To those who dont see Aberdeen as a step up, they may be in the same league and not been that competeitive over the last few years, but they have got to cup semi's regullarly and bigger crowds regardless of being good or bad than we do. The potential is always there for Aberdeen to be the 3rd (or now 2nd) force in Scottish football - sadly for us that will probably never be the case!!

I think that one of the reasons behind this move, and I am assuming no Championship sides were interested, is that if Hayes does well at Aberdeen, he will be more noticed than if he was with Inverness and the more chance there will be for a move to a "bigger" club than if he reamined at ICT.

Undoubtedly, he will be on more money at Aberdeen and as the previous poster stated, there is currently more potential at Aberdeen than at ICT (for the moment anyway he said hopefully!)

Has anyone stopped to consider that this was finally completed on the back of contractural and legal issues. Aberdire are ot stooped enuff to have made an initial announcement like they did without confidence. I am informed by a seagull that the agent made a binding agreement verbally which only requied Jonny's signature which he was reluctant to do as he wanted to look at Englandshire. There has been a lot of legal type brokering going on with Aberdire clearly wanting to save face. Not exactly a partnership made in heaven and possibly fated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Curse of the Highlands strikes sooner than most:

LINE-UPS

ABERDEEN: Langfield, Osbourne, Anderson, Reynolds, Robertson, Hughes, Rae, Clark, Fraser, Vernon, McGinn. Subs: Rogers, Hayes, Naysmith, Magennis, Shaughnessy, Jordon Brown, Smith.

A sub again. How long before he's "excited to be signing for a big club like Elgin"?