FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

James Vincent for Northern Ireland

ICTRoughi

Especially since he's been playing in the fifth tier of English football! What an achievement for him (if he does get picked). Billy McKay almost scored last night for NI but it would be great if ICT had 2 different players playing at international level! :smile:

Edited by HeScoresWhenHeWants
  • Agree 1

As I understand it, James Vincent is English, his parents are both English,neither he or his parents have ever resided in Northern Ireland and he only has a vague idea that there may be a connection with that country.

It would be a sad reflection on International football if he were able to turn out for a country he only has a remote connection with. 

As I understand it, James Vincent is English, his parents are both English,neither he or his parents have ever resided in Northern Ireland and he only has a vague idea that there may be a connection with that country.

It would be a sad reflection on International football if he were able to turn out for a country he only has a remote connection with.

But if you want to play internationals and your asked by NI even though you only have the slightest connection with that country, your surely going to accept aren't you? England may be his main country but no one since Gary Hooper and Fraser Forster have been called up to the England squad, also they play/ed for Celtic so he would never get international football if he rejected. I see what your saying but that's the temptation of international football as it has a great impact on your career! Edited by HeScoresWhenHeWants

But if you want to play internationals and your asked by NI even though you only have the slightest connection with that country, your surely going to accept aren't you? England may be his main country but no one since Gary Hooper and Fraser Forster have been called up to the England squad, also they play/ed for Celtic so he would never get international football if he rejected. I see what your saying but that's the temptation of international football as it has a great impact on your career!

Hooper has never been called up

But if you want to play internationals and your asked by NI even though you only have the slightest connection with that country, your surely going to accept aren't you? England may be his main country but no one since Gary Hooper and Fraser Forster have been called up to the England squad, also they play/ed for Celtic so he would never get international football if he rejected. I see what your saying but that's the temptation of international football as it has a great impact on your career!

Hooper has never been called up Oh I thought he had, but still Forster has definitely been called up.

I wouldn't have thought so.  I'm sure that Jackson Irvine at Killie (on loan from Celtic) has switched to Australia, despite playing for the Scotland U20.  Might be different if it's a "C" squad and not a youth level though.

Edited by Renegade

I think he will still be eligible. You need to play in a competitve game at senior level, i.e. World or Continental Cup qualifiers or finals to become ineligible for a switch. Germany had this case on Tuesday, with Sidney Sam coming on at the Faroes he won't be able to play for his father's country of birth (I think Nigeria) now. Before that, he had played in two friendlies but could still have switched.

Edited by Rainbow