FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee -V- Inverness C.T.

Scotty

And 'Tic missed a penalty just before Morton scored. Sweet.

did they? It looks like the PA reporter got mixed up !!!  ..... It is the same feed on Sporting Life, SKY etc but there is no mention of a Celtic penalty on the BBC live feed.

According to the Press Association reporter ...... "Ambrose handles the ball and concedes a"   then he seems to take a penalty which is saved, and immediately concedes another which Imrie scores ..... too much half-time hospitality for that reporter perhaps ?

post-2-0-48032500-1380056498.png

From the Villa Spurs match.  This happened in the box (so to speak) and incredibly no penalty was awarded! 

_70101674_911b4778-2f1e-4f00-999a-983c2f

Also amused to see that in the match in the English league cup that went to extra time, who should score an extra time winner than Garry Hooper for Norwich!  I bet Lennon's on the phone to him now offering his sincere congratulations.

• Agree 1

Just home from Dens too, I tell you, that 2nd half was murder.

We started really well and looked pretty slick, and after 20 mins I'd have expected the full time score to be something like 4-1 to us.  We had quite a few chances blasted high or wide, then Nick Ross broke through on goal with a clear chance to put us 2 up but poked his shot onto the post. Early in the 2nd half Billy's delicate overhead kick hit the bar, but after that we didn't threaten, and in fact Letheren wasn't tested at all in the 90 minutes.

Unlike Brill. Two outstanding saves, both down low to his left.  One late in the first half, and one in the last minute which we celebrated like a goal for us.  A clever lay off by a Dundee attacker left them with a clear shot from within 10 yards, pick your spot son, extra time beckons, but somehow Deano gets a strong enough hand on it to force it round the post. Absolutely Brill.

Second half we were just so disappointing, uncomposed in possession and resorting to long balls for Billy to chase in vain.

Other than Brill, there were decent performances from Billy, Meekings and Shinnie.  Not at all impressed with Vincent or Polworth tonight.  Foran hobbled off near the end, thought he was wasting time at first but it does look like an injury.

Just relieved to be through.

Going by reports from those at the last 3 games, we have not played well in any of them. Is nobody else worried about this? Have we been rumbled and teams know how to play against us? have the players let all the plaudits go to their heads? any other reason? Or am I just a miserable auld git?

Match report from the Dee perspective.....   Highlanders pip Dee in entertaining cup tie

Dundee were pipped by Inverness Caley Thistle 1-0 in a tight and entertaining tussle at Dens Park tonight. An early Billy McKay goal clinched the game for Terry Butcher's Highlanders. However, Dean Brill was the real hero. He proved unbeatable in the visitors' goal and ensured Caley Thistle won a game they could well have lost.

John Brown made only two changes to the team that lost to Falkirk. Peter MacDonald and Craig Beattie were given starting spots after coming on as substitutes on Saturday. Steven Doris and Carlo Monti dropped onto the bench. There would have been a third change. Matt Lockwood was listed to start, but a last minute change brought Willie Dyer into the team and James Thomson was promoted to the squad as a substitute. 

Dundee started well and made some encouraging moves towards the away goal. However, in the 8th minute Caley Thistle showed their ability, ripping Dundee open with their first serious attack. Ross Draper cut into the penalty area from the left and Richie Foran who switched his pass into the path of Billy MCKAY, who finished neatly from 10 yards.

Caley Thistle's fast, accurate passing stretched Dundee in the first quarter of the match. The visitors were a cut above anyone the Dark Blues have faced so far this season. Not only were they impressive in possession, their energetic pressing made life difficult for the Dee, who struggled at first to get their passes away quickly enough before being closed down.

However, Dundee kept their heads and worked their way into contention. The visitor's defence, with the honourable exception of keeper Brill, was the least impressive part of the team and Dundee looked capable of causing real problems when they got into the final third.

Craig Beattie was looking fitter and stronger than in his first couple of matches and had a fine game. Sometimes he was operating as the bustling target man. At other times he was playing clever passes and linking well with the midfield. He and Peter MacDonald are clearly not yet familiar with each other, but there were signs of a promising partnership.

Beattie made space well on the right and his cross was missed by the central defence. MacDonald controlled the ball to set up the chance, but fell as he shot and the ball bobbled wide. Caley Thistle responded with a swift attack that nearly brought a second goal. Ross ran onto a Foran pass, held off Irvine and shot across Letheren only to see the ball come off the outside of the far post.

As the first half wore on Dundee looked increasingly dangerous. A good move through the middle ended with McAlister's 16 yard shot being deflected for a corner. Next it was Beattie shooting from the same range. Again the ball was deflected, looping up and over the keeper, but unfortunately over the bar too.

Caley Thistle were being pegged back, but still looked dangerous when they got out of their own half. Ross sent Shinnie to the byline, but his cross flashed across the goalmouth with no-one on hand to turn it in.

Craig Beattie must have been sure he was going to equalise on the stroke of half time. Great play by Conroy and MacDonald set up the chance and Beattie lashed the ball at goal from 15 yards, but Brill lived up to his name with a marvellous save. That was no miss, just a great save.

Caley Thistle came close to a second at the start of the second half. Dundee gave the ball away as they broke from defence. Foran's cross was hooked acrobatically by McKay over Letheren and onto the top of the bar. 

After a slightly nervous opening to the second half the Dark Blues took control. Brill again saved well from MacDonald after Riley had beat his man and cut into the penalty area. A MacDonald 30 yard free kick zipped just wide of the post. Conroy's mishit shot nearly proved a perfect pass for MacDonald, but the striker's lunge couldn't quite connect and turn the ball in.

Dundee were now far more aggressive and confident, both in possession and without the ball. Caley Thistle were being hustled into mistakes, and their crisp passing game deserted them. For a while the visitors were lumping the ball anywhere and couldn't Dundee away from their end of the pitch. Winger Nick Ross made a vital contribution on the edge of his own six yard box with a great last ditch tackle as Ryan Conroy was about to shoot.

McAlister put in a great run down the left, and his cross was met with a panicky header by Foran that nearly looped over his own keeper, but Brill recovered to save.

Caley Thistle's only fluent and dangerous move of the second half ended with Ross cutting in from the right and curling an 18 yard shot a couple of feet too high.

The Dark Blues were straight back onto the attack and a clever MacDonald backheel set up Conroy for a clear shot from 15 yards. The midfielder connected perfectly, but Brill again pulled off a magnificent save low to his left. Dundee's last chance came deep into injury time when MacDonald's run and cross from the left caused momentary chaos in the Highlanders' defence, but the loose ball was headed well wide by McAlister.

Dundee have stumbled through the early rounds of the cups this season in unconvincing style. Ironically their best cup tie performance was saved for a game they lost. In fact this was probably their best performance of the season. It was certainly night and day compared to Saturday. There was far more energy, pace and determination. Crucially the passing was sharper and more accurate, with the players moving better and more confidently both on and off the ball. The midfield might have consisted of the same four players, but they were far more effective with Riley and Conroy in their familiar wide positions.

Let's hope this was the real Dee we saw tonight, and that we see plenty more performances like this!

Dundee FC 4-4-2

Letheren

Irvine, Gallagher, Davidson, Dyer

Riley, McAlister, Rae, Conroy

Beattie (Doris 66), MacDonald

Unused subs; Twardzik (gk), Thomson, Monti, Boyle

Bookings; Beattie (foul on Foran), MacDonald (foul on Ross), Davidson (foul on Draper)

Inverness Caley Thistle 4-4-2

Brill

Raven, Devine, Meekings, Shinnie

Doran (Polwarth 60), Draper, Foran (Agdestein 90+1), Ross

Vincent, McKay

Unused subs; Esson (gk), Greenhalgh, Tremarco

Goal; McKay (8)

Bookings; Draper (simulation), Raven (foul on Conroy), Devine (foul on MacDonald)

Attendance; 1,682 

Referee; Stephen Finnie

Report; James Christie

• Agree 1

Good report, that.

I see at the end it puts Draper's booking down to simulation. I thought it was for handball. He went down, either clipped from behind or just fell, I'm not sure which. but he stopped the ball with his hand, either to prevent an attack or because he was expecting a free kick to us.

It was a yellow card for handball. He was bundled into and fell over somewhat theatrically and reached out to pull the ball back in to stop the Dundee break. The referee let play go on for a bit before coming back to book Draper.

Someone said to me last night, "What on earth happened to Craig Beattie?" Good question. Still in his 20's, he's resorted to playing for Dundee after failing to score for his last club, Barnet. Played for 10 clubs in the last 6 years since leaving Celtic.

Yet back in 2007 he was scoring a vital last minute winning goal for Scotland, sparking wild celebrations in the Yngwie household. I remember this because I became a dad 9 months later!

• Agree 3

Poor performance again from us.  We started brightly with McKay scoring and sending another effort just over the bar and Nick Ross hitting the post.  We seemed to drop deep as the first half went on and let Dundee have more of the ball.  They didn't really threaten until just before half time when their forward (didnt' see who) forced Brill into a great save low to his left.

The second half went the same way, we played too deep and were hitting long balls into the channels for McKay to chase.  This didn't really work and we weren't managing to get Doran or Ross into the game much.  Draper was booked in the first half and after that didn't seem as keen to break up play which meant we lost out in midfield.  Vincent didn't perform that well again, he seems to try and tear around doing all the jobs, but he should really be concentrating on playing further up the park, pressing the opposition there when we don't have the ball and trying to make things happen when we do.

We didn't retain the ball as well as we did earlier in the season and because of that dropped deep and had to hit the ball long. The two players we lost, Andy Shinnie and Tudor-jones, were excellent at retaining possession and I don't think the players we have in midfield now are as good at that, meaning we might end up pushed deeper. Shinnie could also carry the ball very well from deep. The fact that we were missing Gary Warren also impacted us, he is excellent at carrying the ball out of defence for 15-20 yards which helps us play further up the park. Devine is an able player and is a great option but he doesn't give us that.

Apparently Butcher wasn't pleased and was heard berating the players afterwards. We'll need to improve against Hibs on Saturday.

• Agree 2

Going by reports from those at the last 3 games, we have not played well in any of them. Is nobody else worried about this? Have we been rumbled and teams know how to play against us? have the players let all the plaudits go to their heads? any other reason? Or am I just a miserable auld git?

That performance, beyond all doubt, proves that changes need to be made and need to made for the Hibs game.  The first of which, is taking Vincent out - he hasn't played well for weeks.  I'm also not convinced that Nick Ross is winger.  

If I were Butcher, I'd be trying out Ross in the "Shinnie Role" on Saturday and have Williams, or if he's fit, Watkins on the wing in the place of Vincent.

Butcher post-match:

"The team that turned up tonight is not the team that got us to the top of the league and the players have been told that in no uncertain terms.

I have actually given the players two days off to go away and think about it because when they come back in on Friday I want them really focused on Hibs because if we play like that against Hibs we will get turned over."

To me that sounds like he's just looking for the players to play better, rather than planning to make changes in tactics or personnel.