FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Things you don't see anymore

DJS

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real town characters like Donnie Fridge, Kanses and Maplebeck.

I'm sure a new thread could be set up just for stories about them - if they could be repeated! Like when one employed all his pals to do a 'job' for a few weeks and stamped their NI cards each week with Brook Bond Dividend tea stamps!! Something else you don't see anymore!

Remember Suzie Mackay ,  in Summer she used to wear her kilt & sandals in Winter it was her navy blue raincoat & wellies , she used to chase us with her umbrella , a right character she was ,

Ive got her book "The Discarded Brat "

Remember Suzie Mackay ,  in Summer she used to wear her kilt & sandals in Winter it was her navy blue raincoat & wellies , she used to chase us with her umbrella , a right character she was ,

Ive got her book "The Discarded Brat "

If I remember correctly that wasn't the original title for her book. Remarkable woman, she went up in my estimation somewhat when I read her book.

Suzie was perhaps better known on the west side of the river as she lived in Dalneigh and would terrorise High School pupils with her brolly.

Come to think of it, most of Inverness's worthies lived on the west side of the river.

Another thing you don't see are Dr Barnardo papier mache cottage style collection boxes.

Milk in plastic bags that you had to put in a special jug then cut the corner off,usually spilled all over the place,did they make it this far north?  :004:  also fag packets that slid open instead of flip tops

Dickens Restaurant !

Can't believe I'm never gonna eat another Dickens Own Steak or Mauritian Curry or Szechuan Chicken.......absolutely gutted !!! :cry01:

Went to go there the other night only to find its now a building site. Where else can I get a fillet steak in delicious sauce and stuffed with prawns and mushrooms and all for £10.50 !!!

:cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cry01::cr

y01::cry01::cry01::cry01:

Milk in plastic bags that you had to put in a special jug then cut the corner off,usually spilled all over the place,did they make it this far north?  :004:  also fag packets that slid open instead of flip tops

Milk is sold that way over here !!! and the cigarette packs (25s) are also like that (mostly)

• 3 weeks later...

Yah!... yah!... yah!.....

I was watching an old western on Channel 4 this afternoon and suddenly the cowboys got on their horses and began this litany to get the critturs moving. It's something I haven't heard for years since the golden era of the western movie.

Surely I wasn't the only kid in the early 60s that used to run along the street, slapping myself on the left thigh and shouting "Yah!... yah! ... yah!...."?

At least I hope I wasn't!

Yah!... yah!... yah!.....

I was watching an old western on Channel 4 this afternoon and suddenly the cowboys got on their horses and began this litany to get the critturs moving. It's something I haven't heard for years since the golden era of the western movie.

Surely I wasn't the only kid in the early 60s that used to run along the street, slapping myself on the left thigh and shouting "Yah!... yah! ... yah!...."?

At least I hope I wasn't!

for some reason I am strangely compelled to post this .......

milkybarkid.jpgMilkyBar.jpg

Scotty... so is that what Caley D looked like when he was a kid?  :015:

Heilandee... that's EXACTLY it! And as a son of the City of Discovery, your knowledge of Oor Wulie is encyclopaedic. Jings, crivvens help ma boab! Actually it was only when a Glaswegian family called Brown (I joke not!) moved in across the road from us in Dalneigh in the 60s that I realised that people really did use phrases like "jings" and "crivvens", which until then I thought were entirely a figment of the imagination of DC Thomson.

Charles ,eh didnae realise the following untill very recently,(nicked fae a Broons and Wullie website......)

"The Broons and Oor Wullie are famous for their limited range of memorable exclamations. Back in the dusty past (and in Kelvinside to this day) it was considered uncouth to swear or take the lord's name in vain. But then, as now, people liked to have exclamations for their exasperations. I don't want to state the obvious but in case you don't already know - the ones used by our characters are basically corruptions of religious terms":-

Jings---  derived from Jesus

Crivvens----- derived from Christ

Help Ma Boab------  derived from help me god or so help me god

Michty Me -------derived from Mighty God or Almighty God or God Almighty

amazin the shect u can find out on the internet eh?

I had no idea Oor Wullie and The Broons were so unobtrusively blasphemous! Kryptoblasphemers even!

I'm not so sure that Kelvinsaaaiiide is quite so posh these days... given the number of footballers that live there now.

Morningside... now that's different. Down there a creche is a motor accident and crepe paper is something you find hanging on the wall in the toilet.

Scotty... so is that what Caley D looked like when he was a kid?  :015:

..... shame there is no picture of you on the BBC website or inside your book - I could have used it for comparison  :015: :015: