Jump to content

Lets be feckin serious


Recommended Posts

Based on the rest of the teams in the league bar County and Dundee Utd most seem to have a balance of 1st team players and youth starting games. We throughout an 11 have a higher standard throughout the overall 11 to most but i dont believe our better players are as good as the rest. 

Most of our starting 11 would get games at other teams in the divisions but few would be standouts and those that would aren't in the right areas to win us games Ridgers, Coll etc. 

I'd like to see us lose a lot of the average players in the squad put the youth guys in and the wage saved to be put into bringing a higher standard of player to start in games. Ayr and QOS have poorer squads IMO but the better players in their sides would start easily for us.

Charlie Trafford is no better than Jack Brown, Roddy MacGregor.

Anthony Macdonald and Macauley were brought in to take the burden of young daniel and haven't yet shown why we are playing a 17 year old hearts loanee over one of our own lads to gain vital experience and Macauley looks no better so far.

Mchattie, macauley and macdonald all are reasonable squad players but do little to improve the 11 as opposed to the squad and are simply a wasted wage imo when we could have allowed Harper, Macgregor, Mackay, brown etc to pick up vital minutes and experience.

Are they ready yet? Maybe not but id sure as hell rather watch them play with the understanding its the long game as opposed to failed journeymen who are clearly playing at their level already.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sean93 said:

Anthony Macdonald and Macauley were brought in to take the burden of young daniel and haven't yet shown why we are playing a 17 year old hearts loanee over one of our own lads to gain vital experience and Macauley looks no better so far.

For the record I thought MacDonald was pretty good when he came on yesterday, brought a bit of spark that was otherwise lacking. MacCauley just looked like what he is, a part time player thrown into a full time team without much time to adapt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Who would you trust with this "judicious" recruiting wev needed a striker for 2 seasons and Robbo still hasn't found 1 the reason why we aren't battling for the title!

An extra million pounds or so from promotion might just help in that regard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the money is not there then JR needs to use encouragement to ends the season on as high an emotional  note as he can.

He has to think over and deliver at least one  or more inspiring speeches without a hint of failure being added and  he should be seen as a positive , "onward and upward" thinker,.

If the current set of players can't make it into and beyond the play-offs  they will still probably be here for next season so they have to have something inn their hearts and minds to spur them on. Depression,  or just having a sense of failure , will serve no useful purpose for either JR or the club. So he must have the players leave for their end of season break with definite positivity ringing in their ears.

Then, at least, they can grit their teeth and look forward to next season.

And hope that a very wealthy backer will appear from the mists of time before that season begins...…………………………

EH?:cheer01:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

If the money is not there then JR needs to use encouragement to ends the season on as high an emotional  note as he can.

He has to think over and deliver at least one  or more inspiring speeches without a hint of failure being added and  he should be seen as a positive , "onward and upward" thinker,.

If the current set of players can't make it into and beyond the play-offs  they will still probably be here for next season so they have to have something inn their hearts and minds to spur them on. Depression,  or just having a sense of failure , will serve no useful purpose for either JR or the club. So he must have the players leave for their end of season break with definite positivity ringing in their ears.

Then, at least, they can grit their teeth and look forward to next season.

And hope that a very wealthy backer will appear from the mists of time before that season begins...…………………………

EH?:cheer01:

Robbos no winston Churchill telling White he's Harry Kane won't make any difference lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

For the record I thought MacDonald was pretty good when he came on yesterday, brought a bit of spark that was otherwise lacking. MacCauley just looked like what he is, a part time player thrown into a full time team without much time to adapt.

He had a couple of lovely slide rule passes that almost led to something but then he had a bizarre period where he seemed to be afraid to get involved. At one point Rooney had the ball on the right and MacDonald went into hiding offering no support and Rooney just ran past him. He's still very young so perhaps he was nervous / unsure what to do but I think he's potentially a real creative spark for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RiG said:

He had a couple of lovely slide rule passes that almost led to something but then he had a bizarre period where he seemed to be afraid to get involved. At one point Rooney had the ball on the right and MacDonald went into hiding offering no support and Rooney just ran past him. He's still very young so perhaps he was nervous / unsure what to do but I think he's potentially a real creative spark for us. 

Thats my problem with taking him on loan. That development in his game from match experience will benefit hearts when he returns in summer. 

It's exactly that experience that our own youngsters need to develop them. If he made a difference consistently and added real quality to push us to promotion great but it just isn't the case.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anyone would take promotion even if it meant relegation the following season just for the cash injection it would bring. Don't think there is any chance of the youngsters being risked for as long as the playoffs remain a possibility. The club were able to introduce Christie at an early age not just because of his ability but because the team was full of good professionals who could cover for him if things didn't go well. He was also playing in a position where a mistake was not going to be disastrous. This league doesn't tend to be won by a team full of youngsters which is why Ayr's performance has been  excellent although, they have had a couple of years of playing together and an outstanding centre forward.

Part of our problem is attracting players of the right quality, we need a scouting system similar to what Butcher had finding young rough diamonds in the lower reaches of the English leagues who are prepared to come to Inverness and work for a pittance in the hope it will further their football careers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And, Alan, maybe you are a wee bit behind what I am thinking. If a player just doesn't have it  quite yet the worst thing, I say , is to highlight the weaknesses unless you also comment favourably on the strong points and offer encouragement to this player at every opportunity. Hopefully this will allow the player to face up to the realities but know that if he does have some more experience then the boss will help him along the way and maybe he does have a future after all. Unless you just want to keep him on until you let him go, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Satan

I didn't say treat him like a weak little lamb but beating the stuff out of a player who makes a mistake is hardly likely to bring him on either is it.  Frank discussions followed by, perhaps, more supervised training may also work to benefit him and the club. Working on his mistakes  but not in a way that makes the young guy feel  like a failure is another road to take. Every young  person needs guidance and encouragement. Me? I got belted too many times at school for inattention and fidgeting. But when I left school and had to stand on my own feet so to speak , and study hard or die so to speak, I was off to the races.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, Satan said:

The scouting system you refer to was Steve Marsella and YouTube.

Marsella is now at Kilmarnock. I hear YouTube is still available.

Was aware of Marsella not sure where u tube comes in? Fact is he found us decent players from the southern leagues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SM has plenty contacts in the south so received plenty of tips for players. Unfortunately finances dictated that a lot of initial scouting was done via YT until the player could come for trials. I remember it being a bit of a joke at the time, but I guess we ultimately did quite well out of it overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started reading your italicized post , wondering why it was such, and I became quite disinterested, quite quickly, so skipped to the bottom and found that you were 'off to the races '.

Kind of missed your point what with the italicized waffling.

Oh, and here's an emoji.

?

Enjoy.

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy