FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The asparagus effect

Yngwie

Not being much of an asparagus eater, I only recently made the connection that whenever I eat anything containing it (or have asparagus soup), my pee delelops a bit of a sulphurous smell.

I did some investigation and it turns out to be a recognised scientific phenomenon, caused by a chemical reaction.

Apparently it happens to everyone. It used to be believed that only a proportion of people experienced it, but after further research (probably by some Institute of Asaparagus P1ss Studies) they discovered that it actually happens to us all, but not everyone's nose can detect the chemical in question.

So there you go. Anybody else got any interesting tales of bodily functions?

Anybody else got any interesting tales of bodily functions?

why do i get the feeling that Gringo is gonna love this thread ......

Why does my urine smell funny after consuming asparagus?

Most authorities feel that the compound that causes the odor in urine after consumption of asparagus is methylmercaptan, which is a sulfur-containing derivative of the amino acid, methionine. This is disputed by a few individuals who claim that the odiferous compound is asparagine-amino-succinic-acid monoamide, which is derived from the amino acid, asparagine. In either case, the product is formed as a derivative during the digestion and subsequent breakdown of beneficial amino acids that occur naturally in asparagus.

Ref: Merck Index, 862; Food Chemistry, Belitz and Grosch, pg. 271.

Now you know....  :017:

All you ever wanted to know