Radio Scotland have just announced

Johnboy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok then, wonder who will be on the short list?

Will Robbo make it?

Butcher, Knox? Malpas? hope Craig Brown aint on the horizon..

Seems as with Brewsters appointment there will be mixed feelings about Robbo's return, then again the board have surprised us in the past, maybe they will do the same again.

Not sure how much difference this makes, the board already know Robbo wants the job and I have this feeling that if they wanted him they might have already approached him, hopefully I am wrong and they are just biding their time.

The board meet tomorrow to draw up a list of short candidates...

Fixed it for you Johnboy :rotflmao:

Well that rules Butcher out then :thumb04:

I doubt they would have made an approach already, the same could be said for Butcher and Ardilles if that was the case.

Yes maybe you are right, its just when CC went Brew was approached right away

Brewster had been lined up well in advance of CC stepping down.

Glad Robbo has formerly applied as it removes the "we didn't have anything from him to say he was interested" excuse.

John Robertson has submitted a formal application..

The board meet tomorrow to draw up a short list of candidates...

Hey Johnboy,are you on a commision if Robertson gets the gig?

I will be submitting my standard agents fee/invoice to the club assuming he is appointed... :rotflmao:

He's certainly put the ball into the club's court although I suspect that if he was their preferred candidate he would have the job by now.

I have never seen or heard the actual quote but did Sutherland actually say that he would not be back at ICT under his watch?

He's certainly put the ball into the club's court although I suspect that if he was their preferred candidate he would have the job by now.

I have never seen or heard the actual quote but did Sutherland actually say that he would not be back at ICT under his watch?

I don't think he's ever said that publically but that seems to be the general consensus.

John Robertson had been ruled out as a possible contender by David Sutherland (Chairman) in a TV interview where he made it clear the John Robertson was part of ICT's history and would be remaining there.

http://caleythistleonline.com/news/archive...end-a-fans-view

Link doesnt seem to be working

Perhaps he would be kind enough to tell us why, as from his postings on here Robbo doesnt seem to know the reason, and it might have been a good idea if he had decided to let 2 others, Brewster and Malky remain in ICT history instead

Edited by stevico1

At the end of the day, Robbo would be the easy option - local, knows the players, always passionate about the club on the radio (even before the fan uprising) etc etc etc but I cant fault the club for at least taking a little time over it .... You never know who will come out of the woodwork when the job is available (Ardiles aside) and there is the possibility that a previously unconsidered candidate might come forward and be perfect for it.

However, now that he has put in a formal application, I would hope the club do consider him as a strong candidate and if there are any personal issues clouding anyone's judgement on the matter they can put those aside and make a decision based purely on merit.

Personally, I am on the fence here. I like Robbo's persona and manner and think he would do well in healing the dressing room as well as the fan/board split by bringing us all together again. However, his SPL stats weren't much better than Brewster's although you could argue mitigating circumstances in that we had just been promoted to the SPL and were finding our feet and had to do it playing at Pittodrie so were on a steep learning curve in an unusual place. He hasnt been a spectacular success elsewhere, but neither has he been a spectacular failure either, something which cannot be said of Brewster and DUFC. On balance, I would be happy with his appointment initially until the end of the season, and if he can keep us up, permanently. The fact that a respected (former) player has come out and backed him also puts an additional plus mark on the application for me.

Of the other names mentioned, I do like the idea of Butcher as I always thought he was decent at Motherwell and can remember having discussions on here about how refreshing the likes of him and one or two other managers were in their honest comments after games. My big fear over TB is that he has a good number with his TV work and part-time Scotland gig so we would be nothing more than a third part-time job and this relegation dogfight needs the full attention of the manager. I very much doubt we could compensate him adequately if he were to give up either of his other P/T jobs so unless he is prepared to do the job F/T it has to be a no from me.

The only other candidate who is resonating with me at the moment is Archie Knox and it is not clear whether he is just a name on the bookies list or a real candidate. If he is a real candidate then he might just eclipse Robbo in my mind. He has vast experience, is respected by some of the top names in the game (like Fergie) and might be the very man to take Barry and Charlie under his wing for a few seasons before inevitably moving on to a bigger club once again.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can we not turn this into another so and so is better than so and so and I want someone else thread and keep it on the subject of Robbo's application. There's plenty other threads on the go discussing the merits of everyone's favourites/suggestions.