Spl2

Guest Murdock

Guest Murdock

Linky

OK so the SPL has just been given the green light for SPL 2. They are proposing 2 leagues with 22 teams in total. How do you think this will affect us?

Some reports are even saying this could happen next season. Would this mean that the bottom team goes down to SPL 2 and there is no promotion or would the bottom 2 go down and one team promoted? However they work it there will be an SPL or 1st Division team that are shafted by not playing in the top league when in other years they would have been.

Unless they increase the number of teams in the top tier to 16 then I'm afraid it doesn't matter what set-up they have or what they call it. People are getting bored of playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season (more when they meet in the cup) and I'd rather they spent the time and effort expanding the current SPL than faffing about with a second tier SPL.

Unfortunately the introduction of an SPL2 for next season (although unlikely IMO) might just be the get out of jail card our board need and I can't see them having any objection.

My understanding is that any changes would come into effect at the beginning of a season so if it started next season then the league standings at the end of this season would apply. i.e. one down one up SPL1. SPL2 would consist of all those who qualify for div 1 at the end of this season.

The effect of all this must surely be less money to go round.

I cannot quite fathom out what all this is intended to achieve. Anyone interested in advising me.?

I agree wholeheartedly with Caley D's post. They must increase the number of teams to 16 to avoid fans from becoming bored and if they reduce the teams to 11 each :thumb04: per SPL 1 and SPL 2 -it will be very bad for the fans enjoyment in MHO. :rotflmao:

I cannot quite fathom out what all this is intended to achieve. Anyone interested in advising me.?

I agree wholeheartedly with Caley D's post. They must increase the number of teams to 16 to avoid fans from becoming bored and if they reduce the teams to 11 each :thumb04: per SPL 1 and SPL 2 -it will be very bad for the fans enjoyment in MHO. :rotflmao:

Idea is, apparantly, to encourage more full time football. But at what cost? Do the SPL2 clubs have to meet stadium criterea etc?

The leagues will be 12 and 10.

I heard on the radio that the SPL 2 teams would receive around 250k as opposed to the current 40-50k in sponsorship/tv ? Which would also act as a financial buffer to the relegated spl team and maintain full time football.

The SPL could also raise the standard of the Spl 2 grounds which would also mean maybe only one relegation from SPL2 providing the new SFL div 1 champions(currently sfl2) ground was up to SPL2 standard.

SPL. financial help for relegated team. 1 relegation,and 1 play off ??? being a fan of a Self Preservation League team.

1 in 1 out sounds better to me with only 12 teams in the league.

SPL2. more cash,higher spec grounds maybe only one relegated team

SFL1. same or less cash, more difficult to get in to SPL 2.

SFL2. same or less cash.