FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Paul Coutts

Yngwie

Nairn County centre forward, Davie Johnstone, went straight into Aberdeen's first team, playing in Europe, if I remember correctly.

He then got homesick and returned to Nairn before again joining the big boys, this time with Hearts.

Don't know the chronology but he also played with Caledonian, where he broke the record for the number of HIghland League goals in a season. A record that still stands. I have no idea of the exact number, but I am told it is astonishing. Any HL stattos?

Davie Johnston went from Nairn to Hearts, returning to Nairn before joining Aberdeen. Signed for Caley in summer of 1969 and in his first season at Telford Street, hit 52 goals; his strike partner that season, Chic Allan, scored 49.

David Shearer, Clach to Middlesboro. He is of course Duncans brother, and was a better player in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shearer

And what about the guy that played for Bolton and Scotland, thingamyjig, John McGinlay, he started at Nairn County before ending up at Bolton via numerous clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGinlay

Both born in Inverness according to my mate wiki.

Cant dispute whether or not they were born in Inverness, may have been cos it was the nearest mattie hospital, but they were brought up in Caol, Fort William as was another two I could add to the list.....Donald Park and George 'Pele' Cambell both went from Caley. Parkie to Hearts and Pele to Aberdeen then on to Australia where he's still involved in football.

"Pele" Campbell was never on Caleys books. Caley signed two other Lochaber based youngsters around that time - Stuart McKinnon, who was a schoolboy international played season 72-73 before going to Edinburgh Uni to study maths and Joe Toal, a striker, who packed in football shortly after to concentrate on shinty.

David Shearer, Clach to Middlesboro. He is of course Duncans brother, and was a better player in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shearer

And what about the guy that played for Bolton and Scotland, thingamyjig, John McGinlay, he started at Nairn County before ending up at Bolton via numerous clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGinlay

Both born in Inverness according to my mate wiki.

Cant dispute whether or not they were born in Inverness, may have been cos it was the nearest mattie hospital, but they were brought up in Caol, Fort William as was another two I could add to the list.....Donald Park and George 'Pele' Cambell both went from Caley. Parkie to Hearts and Pele to Aberdeen then on to Australia where he's still involved in football.

"Pele" Campbell was never on Caleys books. Caley signed two other Lochaber based youngsters around that time - Stuart McKinnon, who was a schoolboy international played season 72-73 before going to Edinburgh Uni to study maths and Joe Toal, a striker, who packed in football shortly after to concentrate on shinty.

I think Joe Toal died at a very young age.

Donnie Gillies was another Fort William player who played for Clach and went on to play for Bristol City.

Not from Highlands but the player I remember from my younger days playing in Stirling area who went on to do quite well was a player called Ally Dick. He scored 2 or 3 goals at wembley v england in an U15 international, same game where Paul Ridout scored a hat-trick for england. Scotland won 5-4. He signed for Tottenham when at school, became their youngest ever first team player(until recently),won a winners medal when he came on as sub in UEFA cup final when Spurs won it. Signed by Johan Cryuff for Ajax but suffered some bad injuries and retired early.