FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Paul Coutts

Yngwie

Was reading recently about the rapid rise of this young Scot, getting an U21 call-up and now a regular in Championship side Peterborough. He joined them a year ago from Cove Rangers, where he'd been for 3 seasons.

I'm trying to think of other Highland League players of recent times who have gone on to much greater things, but I'm struggling. Ritchie Hart going to ICT was a success, but not as impressive a story as this Coutts chap.

played with paul when we were in the aberdeen youth team together, very skillful player, deserved his break.

cant think of any other story coming close to that. you get a few junior players down central belt jumping to 1st division quite often but in comparison not the same as highland league to championship.

Guest birdog

Duncan Shearer was quite successful, dependant on your definition of recent. He moved from Clach to Chelsea, I think.

Edited by birdog

Dougie Imrie has to be considered ..... Juniors to SPL in about 3 seasons ?

A few of our players - like Rosscoe, Hastings, and one or two others might be worthy of consideration but theirs was more of a gradual rise than a rapid rise to prominence ..... or how about Alan Smart although his flame didnt burn that brightly or for long :rolleyes:

David Shearer, Clach to Middlesboro. He is of course Duncans brother, and was a better player in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shearer

And what about the guy that played for Bolton and Scotland, thingamyjig, John McGinlay, he started at Nairn County before ending up at Bolton via numerous clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGinlay

Both born in Inverness according to my mate wiki.

Edited by themann4thejob

David Shearer, Clach to Middlesboro. He is of course Duncans brother, and was a better player in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shearer

And what about the guy that played for Bolton and Scotland, thingamyjig, John McGinlay, he started at Nairn County before ending up at Bolton via numerous clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGinlay

Both born in Inverness according to my mate wiki.

Cant dispute whether or not they were born in Inverness, may have been cos it was the nearest mattie hospital, but they were brought up in Caol, Fort William as was another two I could add to the list.....Donald Park and George 'Pele' Cambell both went from Caley. Parkie to Hearts and Pele to Aberdeen then on to Australia where he's still involved in football.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Seems to be a few big jumps in the past, but now with football where it is now, you rarely see big teams looking to lower non leagues like the highland league to find players. 20 years ago there wasn't much money invested in youth systems so moves like Paul's back then was not that rare. It is far less likely you'll see moves like Paul Coutts's to Peterborough, now that all teams pretty much have youth systems and the money to buy from other teams. Much more impressive to get a move like that nowadays.

Edited by CaleyP

Going back a few decades, local boy, George Ross, went straight from schools football, as a 15 year old, to Preston. He then stayed with them all his career. Also, didn't Ted McDougal go straight from Highland league to an English league team?

Ted MacDougall was born in Inverness but never played in the Highland League - moved down south at an early age - but hey he still scored nine goals in a FA cup game for Bournemouth - currently coaching in the US according to yer man's mate :blink:

Nairn County centre forward, Davie Johnstone, went straight into Aberdeen's first team, playing in Europe, if I remember correctly.

He then got homesick and returned to Nairn before again joining the big boys, this time with Hearts.

Don't know the chronology but he also played with Caledonian, where he broke the record for the number of HIghland League goals in a season. A record that still stands. I have no idea of the exact number, but I am told it is astonishing. Any HL stattos?