FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is the G-word racist?

caleykid1994

This is what you mainstand guys just don't seem to get, and it's at the core of this. The use of "industrial" language does not imply hate. It implies that it is the common language of the common man who is (or most likely was) the mainstay of football support who went to games on a saturday and voiced their support as best they could. Like most ingrained traditions, they die hard and there will continue to be conflict with Keano's "prawn sandwiches brigade" who have adopted footy and hide behind euphamisms instead of saying things the way they are. It will be like this until one or other eventually prevails. And it won't be you lot.

True, so true!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what you mainstand guys just don't seem to get, and it's at the core of this. The use of "industrial" language does not imply hate. It implies that it is the common language of the common man who is (or most likely was) the mainstay of football support who went to games on a saturday and voiced their support as best they could. Like most ingrained traditions, they die hard and there will continue to be conflict with Keano's "prawn sandwiches brigade" who have adopted footy and hide behind euphamisms instead of saying things the way they are. It will be like this until one or other eventually prevails. And it won't be you lot.

Explain please.

Guest birdog

I thought some of you might like to read the email conversation with Mike Smith:

I pay an absolute fortune every season, I am more dedicated than most and I haven't enjoyed a visit to the longman in a long long time. It's obvious that recent home results aren't helping the situation but I am of the belief that if we can offer the vocal encouragement like most home stadiums offer and make the players feel like they are at home the results will come. At the moment I am struggling to justify traveling a 300 mile round trip so my club benefits from support rather than putting my money in the pockets of other clubs.

I look forward to your reply

Yours sincerely

Harry Chibber

Harry Chibber

You are so vain, I bet you think this thread is about you, about you.

I thought some of you might like to read the email conversation with Mike Smith:

I pay an absolute fortune every season, I am more dedicated than most and I haven't enjoyed a visit to the longman in a long long time. It's obvious that recent home results aren't helping the situation but I am of the belief that if we can offer the vocal encouragement like most home stadiums offer and make the players feel like they are at home the results will come. At the moment I am struggling to justify traveling a 300 mile round trip so my club benefits from support rather than putting my money in the pockets of other clubs.

I look forward to your reply

Yours sincerely

Harry Chibber

Harry Chibber

You are so vain, I bet you think this thread is about you, about you.

Do you not realise I'm ICT supporter of the year for the last 3 years running

Explain please.

Certainly. I'm talking about people like "mainstander" who use euphamisms like "the decent majoraty" (sic) who are being "chased away" through "hatred" from football by the "mindless majoraty" (sic, again) in support of a pretty vacuous argument. From the volume of posts hereabouts, it would seem that "majority" is not his term to use. The vast majority defend the behaviour of fans, even if in occasion it's expressed in words I'd rather not use, and as long is dosn't descend into hatred, bigotry, homophobia or racism. The OP was talking about the fact that the G word was banter, which it patently is and used by the majority around here. So, as long as they keep going to football, people like "mainstander" will be what they are; a non representative minority that are as free as anyone else to voice their opinion. And the big man's right - surely that's enough now.

HAS THIS TREAD NOT RUN ITS COURSE :( :( :(

if that is the case, it will slowly slip down the board until it reaches the obscurity of page 2 of the topic list ...... we close topics when they are duplicates, when they break our rules, or when they get out of hand. This one doesnt fit into any of those categories.

HAS THIS TREAD NOT RUN ITS COURSE :( :mellow: :mellow:

if that is the case, it will slowly slip down the board until it reaches the obscurity of page 2 of the topic list ...... we close topics when they are duplicates, when they break our rules, or when they get out of hand. This one doesnt fit into any of those categories.

not run its course maybe but off topic anyways, i blame the pikeys

IHE--did you not know that in Canada a rubber wheel for a car is spelt tire. That's Ameican English, don't you know?

I am having the same problem since I am editing my wife's new novel which is a trilogy fairytale involving animals that think and pseak like h8mans, forests and lakes and Princes, Princesses , kings ...and son. Very intereting and amusing really. with the first part already going to be 100 pages.The online dictionary in Windows Word uses American English. An example is ....American...," judgment", whereas in Engish English it is spelt judgement. Sigh.

My wife has only been in Canada, from Ukraine , for 12 years and can hardly write a word in English. Speaks it non stop , however. AAAAARGH.

Her son typed the first part of the trilogy , some 300 pages, but at 23 and basically Canadian educated , is well-nigh illiterate. So I have to now decipher her visions and intentions , altered by him into gibberish, and the spelling and the grammar. It's going quite well actually --approximately one hour per page !!!!!! Includng re-writing many parts.

Now Johnboy, if you are looking in I must tell you that Matilda the cat will appear in part three and I have a suspicion that she will be reverting to type with spells and incantations. She has been quite quiet recently but I have a suspicion that she may be working on a spiritual reading for you on your future ....... :thumb04:

Suggestion. - Use Tink instead of Gypsy or is that word also racist?

It is my belief that once were all brain washed that using the word Gypo is no longer acceptable or decent in society, the lobby responsible for this will then be doing the same with the word Tink, this lot have got an agenda, not even sure who this lot are? but once theyve vetoed Tink then be sure it will be something else.

Ive got a theory that its all about control!!

Guest birdog

Suggestion. - Use Tink instead of Gypsy or is that word also racist?

It is my belief that once were all brain washed that using the word Gypo is no longer acceptable or decent in society, the lobby responsible for this will then be doing the same with the word Tink, this lot have got an agenda, not even sure who this lot are? but once theyve vetoed Tink then be sure it will be something else.

Ive got a theory that its all about control!!

Tink or tinker is also considered to be derogatory.

Scottish Gypsies/Travellers is an official term, used by the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government, that immediately signals debates among the families who belong to Scotland?s indigenous ethnic minority as to how they want to be called. In the past, people comprising these communities were known as travelling people or Travellers, some of whom called themselves Nawkens or Nachins, or more famously ?tinklers? or ?tinkers?. The term ?tinker? is no longer an acceptable term as it is frequently used as a term of abuse.

Going by that statement I would say that tinkler is not a derogatory term but if you use it to wind up a C*unty fan then it would become derogatory.

SOURCE

Certainly. I'm talking about people like "mainstander" who use euphamisms like "the decent majoraty" (sic) who are being "chased away" through "hatred" from football by the "mindless majoraty" (sic, again) in support of a pretty vacuous argument. From the volume of posts hereabouts, it would seem that "majority" is not his term to use. The vast majority defend the behaviour of fans, even if in occasion it's expressed in words I'd rather not use, and as long is dosn't descend into hatred, bigotry, homophobia or racism. The OP was talking about the fact that the G word was banter, which it patently is and used by the majority around here. So, as long as they keep going to football, people like "mainstander" will be what they are; a non representative minority that are as free as anyone else to voice their opinion. And the big man's right - surely that's enough now.

Can the 'vast majority' (not your term to use?) ask that you substitute defend with tolerate?

Explain please.

"euphamisms" (sic)?... try "euphEmisms" :thumb04:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Explain please.

"euphamisms" (sic)?... try "euphEmisms" :D

Charles, I was in a hurry and oh dear! I hang my head in shame. :029:

Can the 'vast majority' (not your term to use?) ask that you substitute defend with tolerate?

read the posts, absent friend, and tally them up for and against. I did before I used that term, and it's ours to use.

Edited by davie

Birdog

If a tinkler is also derogative what term would you use for a litle boy standing around a toilet enjoying his performance and thinking about joining the local fire brigade when he grows up.

Check your post--you said it... :D

Ah feck them, they are all just tent (permanently placed so as not to be travellers) dwelling, rat eating, excrement bathing scumbags who the planet would be better off without.