FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Daily Record coverage

givmeaccccc

Have just rung the Daily Record to complain about the poor one column coverage that we got in today's paper. I asked to get put through to the sport's editor and lo and behold found myself speaking to James Traynor.

I asked him why we had only got one column when even Brechin got a page and a half! To be fair to him he expressed grave disappointment himself saying that the production team had made this decision and that it was totally wrong to give us so little in terms of column inches. I went on to outline the fabulous day we had with a crowd in excess of 6000 in attendance.

Even although it was a 'meaningless' fixture he felt that we should have at least got a decent picture of our celebrations included.

The upshot is that Jim said he would definately be speaking to the production team who were due in the office at 2pm today.

He didn't exactly apologise but I did feel that he was genuinely narked about the lack of coverage for ICT.

Have just rung the Daily Record to complain about the poor one column coverage that we got in today's paper. I asked to get put through to the sport's editor and lo and behold found myself speaking to James Traynor.

I asked him why we had only got one column when even Brechin got a page and a half! To be fair to him he expressed grave disappointment himself saying that the production team had made this decision and that it was totally wrong to give us so little in terms of column inches. I went on to outline the fabulous day we had with a crowd in excess of 6000 in attendance.

Even although it was a 'meaningless' fixture he felt that we should have at least got a decent picture of our celebrations included.

The upshot is that Jim said he would definately be speaking to the production team who were due in the office at 2pm today.

He didn't exactly apologise but I did feel that he was genuinely narked about the lack of coverage for ICT.

Well done. The Sunday Herald was totally pathetic yesterday in terms of coverage.

Brechin must have a Rangers connection for The Record to warrent a page 1/2.

Their called The Daily Ranger for a reason., although i agree their coverage is gash. I dont read the tabloids anyway.

good on you though

We'll have very good coverage in the Inverness courier and the Highland news. There was a lot of cameras there so I thought there would have been a few pictures cause we had a few last week.

It's because it wasn't a must win game as we already wan the cup.

Well done for raising the issue.

The BBC sport website wasnt much better either yesterday with the main SFL page being covered by Stirling Albion winning the cup, how many were at this title deciding game? 1102 !

Aye, but it was a deciding game. We've been champions for over a week now! Since there is only one BBC page for Scottish League this is understandable!

The BBC sport website wasnt much better either yesterday with the main SFL page being covered by Stirling Albion winning the cup, how many were at this title deciding game? 1102 !

Aye, but it was a deciding game. We've been champions for over a week now! Since there is only one BBC page for Scottish League this is understandable!

Fair enough but seeing as I didn't check their website every day following Dundee's midweek loss I cant really comment on how much coverage ICT got, where the most important day should have had better coverage.

There's maybe a hint there in the bit I've highlighted. The media can't go on covering this ICT story in depth forever.

What you have to remember is that Caley Thistle won the title away back now on April 21st amid great media acclaim. In the case of the BBC, commentary on Raith v Dundee was laid on just for that purpose and Ross Tokely was on air within minutes of confirmation.

Then there was a great celebration at Ayr and a 7-0 away win which also attracted a great deal of coverage - in the case of the BBC, Chic on Open All Mics and a great deal of follow up, including parts of the manager's impromptu speech.

By the time you get to Saturday's event, yes it's a great day for ICT fans, but the fact that ICT did what they did is no longer NEWS. On the other hand, Stirling wininng the Second Division IS now news, and so is the relegation of Ayr and the ongoing Killie/ Falkirk scenario in the SPL etc etc.

I think you also have to look at this from the perspective of the vast majority of people who use these media and who are NOT Caley Thistle fans. Newspapers and other media have a major onus to report breaking news and the kind of gratifying ongoing coverage which, OK the fans of successful teams really enjoy, is only a minority taste and there is therefore a limit to the extent to which it can be indulged.

As for the BBC, coverage of Saturday's game amounted to the following -

* Robbo on air all afternoon on Open all Mics. There was also commentary (I'm not sure if it was used live or otherwise - I certainly used it on this morning's local news report) on the moment Grant Munro held up the trophy.

* A TV match report at 4:50.

* Further radio coverage on Sports Report at 6:30.

* An online match report on the BBC website from around 7:30.

* Extensive coverage on the BBC local news bulletin this morning, including interviews with Terry Butcher, Grant Munro, George Fraser and David Sutherland.

You also have to remember that something like this will obviously have a rather longer shelf life in the local media where it's a much bigger deal (but be prepared to be overshadowed very soon, possibly in all but the most very locally based Inverness media, by the run up to Ross County's Scottish Cup appearance). Nationally on the other hand there are far more fish to fry, so there really is a limit to which any one story can dominate other, breaking, fresher ones.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Fully appreciate what you're saying Mr Bannerman, but I've seen us get more coverage from an average mid-season game than what some media outlets have given following our lifting of the trophy on Saturday.

I don't think it's too much to expect more than a handful of column inches in the Monday papers given the fact that this was no average league win, it was one done in style which broke a few records along the way....the 21 unbeaten and 9 wins in a row was worthy of at least a half page on it's own.

Spot on Charles with what you say, however the coverage even when we won was very sparse from The Daily Record. I think we got half a paragraph when we beat Ayr.

Spot on Charles with what you say, however the coverage even when we won was very sparse from The Daily Record. I think we got half a paragraph when we beat Ayr.

Donald and EWS, I fully appreciate what you're saying but I obviously couldn't comment on the Record's sports editorial policy. All I'm doing is to try to shed some light on the general background to this scenario and in particular to respond to 12th Man's comment about BBC coverage.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

There's maybe a hint there in the bit I've highlighted. The media can't go on covering this ICT story in depth forever.

What you have to remember is that Caley Thistle won the title away back now on April 21st amid great media acclaim. In the case of the BBC, commentary on Raith v Dundee was laid on just for that purpose and Ross Tokely was on air within minutes of confirmation.

Then there was a great celebration at Ayr and a 7-0 away win which also attracted a great deal of coverage - in the case of the BBC, Chic on Open All Mics and a great deal of follow up, including parts of the manager's impromptu speech.

By the time you get to Saturday's event, yes it's a great day for ICT fans, but the fact that ICT did what they did is no longer NEWS. On the other hand, Stirling wininng the Second Division IS now news, and so is the relegation of Ayr and the ongoing Killie/ Falkirk scenario in the SPL etc etc.

I think you also have to look at this from the perspective of the vast majority of people who use these media and who are NOT Caley Thistle fans. Newspapers and other media have a major onus to report breaking news and the kind of gratifying ongoing coverage which, OK the fans of successful teams really enjoy, is only a minority taste and there is therefore a limit to the extent to which it can be indulged.

As for the BBC, coverage of Saturday's game amounted to the following -

* Robbo on air all afternoon on Open all Mics. There was also commentary (I'm not sure if it was used live or otherwise - I certainly used it on this morning's local news report) on the moment Grant Munro held up the trophy.

* A TV match report at 4:50.

* An online match report on the BBC website from around 7:30.

* Extensive coverage on the BBC local news bulletin this morning, including interviews with Terry Butcher, Grant Munro, George Fraser and David Sutherland.

You also have to remember that something like this will obviously have a rather longer shelf life in the local media where it's a much bigger deal than nationally where the are far more fish to fry, so there really is a limit to which any one story can dominate other, breaking, fresher ones.

Regarding the part that Ive highlighted, only joking,understandable that fresh news takes precedence over current news -the 'tomorrows news yesterday' philosophy. :022: Seeing as I was at the match and not checking media coverage, in the pub and not checking media coverage,or hung over and not checking media coverage, oh I nearly forgot, I didn't mention TV or radio coverage in my initial post. I thought you would be doing such a fantastic job promoting ICT, I didn't feel the need to raise the issue. My comments were only based on the BBC sport SFL web page.

Thanks for the reply Charles.

Jim Traynor did ackowledge ICT's achievement when I spoke to him, he was though I believe, more concerned that there wasn't a picture of the presentation rather than any script. I am sure he had a copy of the paper in front of him as I could hear him flicking through it.

The real reason I bought that paper in the first place is because I keep a scrapbook, I know pretty old fashioned, but it's for my grandson who lives in Newcastle and is growing up as a Geordie with few Inverness roots.

To be fair on the Daily record, they only ever write a half decent amount about 2 games each week in the SFL, and more often than not we've been one of the 2. But there were just 2 season defining games on this weekend in Greenock and in Airdrie. So we were never going to get much of a write up considering we already won the league. Surely you'd know by now to avoid the Daily Record for a decent write up and instead get the P&J or Highland News.

Regarding the part that Ive highlighted, only joking,understandable that fresh news takes precedence over current news -the 'tomorrows news yesterday' philosophy. :P Seeing as I was at the match and not checking media coverage, in the pub and not checking media coverage,or hung over and not checking media coverage, oh I nearly forgot, I didn't mention TV or radio coverage in my initial post. I thought you would be doing such a fantastic job promoting ICT, I didn't feel the need to raise the issue. My comments were only based on the BBC sport SFL web page.

Thanks for the reply Charles.

I think I would also like to pay tribute to the contribution of my colleagues over at Scorguie. MFR did a really fine job on Saturday afternoon, splitting frequencies to give separate coverage of the "party" aspect of the day from Gino Conti and contributions from Ian Auld into the normal sports programme. This is what the local media are for and they did it very well. It's not an option we have locally with the BBC, although frequency splitting is the backbone of Saturday afternoons nationally. But within the MFR transmission area, especially given the interest in ICT, this worked very well.

Jim Traynor did ackowledge ICT's achievement when I spoke to him, he was though I believe, more concerned that there wasn't a picture of the presentation rather than any script. I am sure he had a copy of the paper in front of him as I could hear him flicking through it.

The real reason I bought that paper in the first place is because I keep a scrapbook, I know pretty old fashioned, but it's for my grandson who lives in Newcastle and is growing up as a Geordie with few Inverness roots.

In terms of coverage it was extremely poor and to not even have a picture of the trophy being lifted was ridiculous, it doesn't matter if we won the league with two games to go or not it still warrants at least a picture especially if you take into account that Livingston won the Third Division before their final game of the season but even they got a picture in the Winner (not quite the full team but still a picture)

It is even more baffling when you look at todays Sun and we're spread over page 10/11 which no one has picked up on yet. If you get the chance go and buy one, you'll be able to use these, if you can't get one let me know and I'll post it onto you for your scrapbook for your grandson :lol:

In terms of coverage it was extremely poor and to not even have a picture of the trophy being lifted was ridiculous, it doesn't matter if we won the league with two games to go or not it still warrants at least a picture especially if you take into account that Livingston won the Third Division before their final game of the season but even they got a picture in the Winner (not quite the full team but still a picture)

It is even more baffling when you look at todays Sun and we're spread over page 10/11 which no one has picked up on yet. If you get the chance go and buy one, you'll be able to use these, if you can't get one let me know and I'll post it onto you for your scrapbook for your grandson :lol:

this alone should set alarm bells ringing at traynor towers. an english paper with more widespread coverage of scottish football than the record!!!! what a joke... if i want to read about ict, i have to emulate my grand parents and read the p&j and the sunday post. there's more chance of trophy lifting pics in the peoples friend than the record. it's not fair to call it the daily ranger as it has equal coverage of both of the ugly sisters, and far too much at that.

never mind, hopefully the courier will do something special tomorrow.

this alone should set alarm bells ringing at traynor towers. an english paper with more widespread coverage of scottish football than the record!!!! what a joke... if i want to read about ict, i have to emulate my grand parents and read the p&j and the sunday post. there's more chance of trophy lifting pics in the peoples friend than the record. it's not fair to call it the daily ranger as it has equal coverage of both of the ugly sisters, and far too much at that.

never mind, hopefully the courier will do something special tomorrow.

My route for info (in this order) is usually

NewsNow: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/...edonian+Thistle

P&J (usually a lot of decent coverage online)

BBC (adequate --> Good)

courier/HN

Scotsman/Herald etc online

Sun online

and very last, only if there is a link posted or something catches my eye elsewhere ... The Record !!!

From what I'm hearing, I don't think ICT fans will be disappointed with tomorrow's Courier. :huh:

One of the few instances on the globe where the print edition of a newspaper totally eclipses their online offering which is very poor.