FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT Internationalists

bauhaus

I know we have had a few ex internationals, and several who have gone on to win scottish caps, but how far away do you think Mssrs Rooney and Hayes are from being called up. If they have similar seasons to last year, do you think Trapatoni will be at the TCS by Christmas for a look. Would be brilliant if either or both were given a shout whilst wearing our colours.

It's way too soon for that. Hayes and Rooney have only just had their first 'full season' of playing regularly...

Give them another season or two, with maybe the chance of a B International and then we'll maybe see some callups.

They have as much chance as the next ones. Hayes would be my tip as well, but if Rooney can continue his scoring exploits then you never know.

Some people even said we would never catch Dundee............watch this space.

Not that i think it will happen for either player, but of the two, i think the forthcoming season will see Adam Rooney cursed by the Barrowman syndrome (ie...out of his depth). Time will tell, and i hope am wrong, but i have a gut feeling bout it. I reckon Hayes will still cause lots of problems at SPL level tho, but NEITHER will get a sniff at anything near International Footie IMHO

Hayes has 3 U21 Ireland caps and Rooney has 2 so they are both recognised already internationally. Whether they will progress to the full squad remains to be seen however they have youth and potential on their side.

I agree with starchief, this season will show whether they are up to the task

Not that i think it will happen for either player, but of the two, i think the forthcoming season will see Adam Rooney cursed by the Barrowman syndrome (ie...out of his depth). Time will tell, and i hope am wrong, but i have a gut feeling bout it. I reckon Hayes will still cause lots of problems at SPL level tho, but NEITHER will get a sniff at anything near International Footie IMHO

SMEE, will there ever come a time when you can make a comment without being so negative. There is a world of difference between Barrowman and Rooney. For a start the latter doesn't have an ego bigger than his abilities.

Plus Rooney has actually worked hard on his game and showed a big improvement last year. He'll handle the step up better this time. Mind you, Barrowman's a legend in his own lunchtime.

Both are absolutely capable of being internationalists. Rooney will maybe find it harder in his position as ICT wont be the dominant attacking team for long periods as was with last season but Hayes should be able to pick up where he left off. I'd expect them to be in the B squad next season

SMEE, will there ever come a time when you can make a comment without being so negative. There is a world of difference between Barrowman and Rooney. For a start the latter doesn't have an ego bigger than his abilities.

I would say that " I reckon Hayes will still cause lots of problems at SPL level tho" is pretty positive Alex. And i do believe i was one of the ones who stuck up for Butcher when many were questioning his management skills....again POSITIVE!....so maybe its YOU who just like to pick and chose what parts you see!

Bottom line is.......am as entitled as you are to air my opinion OK! If you dont like it...TUFF luck!

Funilly enuff....i was talking to an ICT supporter tonight about Rooney...and he also suspects Rooney may well struggle this season.

Edited by SMEE

For any of our Irish players to be considered for an international call up in the near future, he would have to have an exceptional season, and the team as a whole would probably have to be performing well above expectations. It's not impossible, though - George O'Boyle won Northern Irish caps whilst playing for small Scottish clubs, and Tommy Coyne won most of his Republic caps whilst at Motherwell (admittedly a pretty good side at the time).

FWIW I think Rooney should do OK next season as long as he gets decent service from midfield and doesn't have to rely on scraps from long balls. In his previous season in the SPL he certainly showed more promise than Barrowman, although, in common with the form of the whole team, this was very sporadic. I think Hayes might struggle to make an impact in some matches if opposing teams pick up on how to keep him out of the game - he had a few quiet games towards the end of last season once the other sides cottoned on to how much of a threat he could be and started making him more effectively. Looking forward to seeing how they do though, and also whether Sanchez and Odihambo can make any impact at this level.

Thought their might be a few maybes but for folk who think they are supporters to say they might be out of their depth is a bit much.

Johnny Hayes will cause many a defence problems, but he is a winger, and they will have hot days and cold days probably more than any other position. But I do think Johnny is also a confidence player who will go on hot streakes. Has the ability to rung rings round defenders and is positive in his movement all the time. Who else have the Irish got as wingers who stand out at the moment.

Adam Rooney has already proved he can handle the SPL. Was he not top scorer with 6 two seasons ago when he wasnt getting into the team. Gtets a proper run in the team and ends up with upper twenties. Fully expect Adam to get double figures again this season, and hope that avoiding injury can edge towards the twenty mark. Can see him average a goal for avery second game. And with that rate of scoring for a decend non old firm player, I think they would have a look, as international football is about players with different styles and strengths. Rooney has a very direct style that defenders do not often feel comfortable with, add a bit of pace and roberts yer mums bro.

I think it might be tough for Adam this season if we play the one up front. If we do, then maybe he'll be as much a provider than a scorer. That position can either work as a goal-hanger or someone to hold up the ball whilst the attacking mids get a chance to join. It's going to be a tough role, no matter who plays it.

Barrowman v Rooney? Both have played SPL and SFL1 levels. Compare the stats. That tells you all.

By the way, I also think that Richie Foran is our more important Irishman at the moment. Mainly down to his determination, experience, airiel strenght, Vision, aggression, cunning and ability is all their. Rooney and Hayes are both young and learning, which is where the promise lies at the moment.

Agreed with those who think Rooney will cut it in the SPL, he showed that despite being a benchwarmer most games that he can score goals at a high level, even if he gets half the goals he scored last season he will have proved his worth.

Jonny will be an intresting watch in the coming months regular first team football at the highest level will be something completely new to him, he will have his days to remember and his days to forget as i'm sure they all will during the course of the campaign.

I don't believe there is a huge gulf between the bottom of the SPL and the top of Div 1.

If TB can continue to convince the Irish trio they have what it takes to succeed at the highest level in the Scottish game, all three of these guys could go a long way.

I would say that " I reckon Hayes will still cause lots of problems at SPL level tho" is pretty positive Alex. And i do believe i was one of the ones who stuck up for Butcher when many were questioning his management skills....again POSITIVE!....so maybe its YOU who just like to pick and chose what parts you see!

Bottom line is.......am as entitled as you are to air my opinion OK! If you dont like it...TUFF luck!

Funilly enuff....i was talking to an ICT supporter tonight about Rooney...and he also suspects Rooney may well struggle this season.

Rooney has a great advantage over Barrowman. He's had near a whole season playing with the same guys he'll be playing with next season. He is a different type of player. Has more skill and commitment and actually wants to fit in with the team. To suggest he'll succumb to the Barrowman syndrome is totally negative and yes you are entitled to air your opinion but I think its wrong to bring the lad down with such comments before he's even had a chance to prove himself.

Alex...i did say in my original post that "I hope am wrong" about Rooney....so its not so much being negative for the hell of it...it is an actual fear i have for him. Lots of people on here are expecting a lot from him this season...and thats gonna put pressure on Adam...am merely trying to keep their feet on the ground.

I think the big difference this time in the SPL, not just for Adam Rooney, is that our strikers are a bit more experienced and we have Ritchie Foran. Foran is vastly experienced at this level and makes a huge difference to the team when he plays. An experienced front man was what was missing from Brewster's team in the SPL last time and it cost us dearly.

I think the big difference this time in the SPL, not just for Adam Rooney, is that our strikers are a bit more experienced and we have Ritchie Foran. Foran is vastly experienced at this level and makes a huge difference to the team when he plays. An experienced front man was what was missing from Brewster's team in the SPL last time and it cost us dearly.

That is bang on the money. I think we may spring a few surprises this year, but we better watch our stars.