FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Mike Newell - Feminist Icon!

nude_as_the_news

From the BBC site:

The former Everton and Blackburn striker was unhappy that Rayner and referee Andy D'Urso failed to award his side a spot-kick when QPR defender Marcus Bignot tangled with Carlos Edwards in the penalty box.

"It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have but if you start bringing in women, you have big problems," said Newell.

"This is Championship football. This is not park football, so what are women doing here? It is tokenism, for the politically-correct idiots.

"She should not be here. I know that sounds sexist but I am sexist, so I am not going to be anything other than that."

Two points - first, surely you don't have to be female to make bad decisions and, second, what was he thinking?!

Mr Newell sounds like a right plonker .... and one that may be out of a job very soon. The article linked above is a beauty that contains several of his post match comments .....

"It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have but if you start bringing in women, you have big problems"

"I have not spoken to the chairman for months. I cannot understand what he is doing here. The club has gone backwards off the pitch during the last two years. He has not made any decisions and he has contributed nothing.  Everything he has got involved in, he has messed up. I am not considering my own future because, apparently, he is going."

"I will not suffer fools - I never have and I never will. There are players out of contract at the end of the season but nothing is being done. I am up to my eyes in it."

"I very rarely say things I do not mean" (this one might come back to haunt him !!!)

"Whether I have been out of order, whether the comments are mistimed is a different matter. I'm just honest, sometimes too honest. I think the club will go forward in the future, hopefully the near future and whether I am here or not I want that to happen. Will I be the manager at the weekend? That is a question for the board but I am not going to resign."

To be fair - the referees association have backed Ms Rayner - an international player for England Ladies - saying

"She has the qualifications to officiate at Championship level and to say she should not be there is totally unfair. Amy Rayner earned the right to be an assistant referee in that game. Amy is a role model. Football remains a male-dominated sport but she has the bravery to do something she loves. If the decision was wrong he might attack the assistant referee but he should not say she should not be in the game simply because she is a woman. "

Think that is an appropriate response to neanderthal Newell

Absolutely class

3 ways to get the sack

1) Start a massive debate within the country over bungs in the game

2) Slag off your chairman by saying the club has gone backwards the last 2 years because of him

3) Declare yourself a sexist and slag off a female match official

:015: :015: :015:

He's probably got another job lined up already. Decided to get what he wants by ranting on, getting the sack, pay off from his current club and preventing his new club from paying compensation! More money for him to spend on players in January!

He's a winner!  :021: