FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Man U connection

Harry Chibber

Not sure of the validity of this article - those who were at the Supporters Trust forum recently may be able to comment as I believe this is where it first surfaced.

It's amazing how things can grow arms and legs.  We did have the supporters trust AGM a couple of weeks ago and our chairman did make an off the cuff comment regarding Man U players.  Unfortunately one of a small group of us decided to leak this to the press (P & J carried the story as an exclusive on the Saturday).  Obviously the nationals pick up stories from papers such as these and the chairman became inundated with calls from journalists nationwide. 

It is really unfortunate that one individual may have jeopardised the future of what has always been a frank and open event following the trust meetings.  If you have a programme from Saturday's game, have a read of the chairman's comments and you will see how he feels.  He has even had to write to Man U to apologise for the story being leaked.

So to the person who felt that they had an exclusive for the press, thank you for embarrassing the club and possibly spoiling what might have been an amicable relationship with Man U.

I have spoken to the chairman about this and although he is disappointed that it happened he still feels that the forum is a worthwhile event and he has said he would do it again if asked, but clearly he will be a little less free with the answers he can give.

Quote from the Chairman's Comments in Saturday's programme

Last week I was in the 'firing line', answering questions at the ICTFC Supporters Trust fans' forum and it was a pleasure to meet so many people who care so much about this club.  I'm very keen to take forward the relationship between the Trust and the club.  Having a direct connection with such an organisation is healthy and sensible and I hope that the red tape will shortly be cut through to allow the Trust to take a shareholding in our club.

I'm also in the process of answering the supporters' queries online - - but don't expect me to name names about who we're keen to sign!

I learned a lesson about being too open when what I thought was an off the record chat with fans at the Trust meeting ended up in the media.  My comment about approaching Manchester United for loan players was 'leaked' the next day.  Commercial confidentiality will also restrict some of my online replies, but I'm establishing the principle of being as approachable to the supporters as I can reasonably be.

Back on the fans' forum, I was joined in the hot seat by Grant Munro and I'd like to congratulate him for being so friendly and frank in his answers.  He's a credit to himself and this club.

Okay I've included a bit more than necessary here, but Alan Savage would seem to be keen to support the fans where possible, thankfully he still feels he wants to be involved and I look forward to reading his answers to our questions

NOTE TO SCOTTY/DON:  Would it be possible to be allowed to print these articles from the programme on a regular basis following a game for those fans who are unable to attend every game. Also possible Manager/Captain pages too.????

Quote from the Chairman's Comments in Saturday's programme

Last week I was in the 'firing line', answering questions at the ICTFC Supporters Trust fans' forum and it was a pleasure to meet so many people who care so much about this club.  I'm very keen to take forward the relationship between the Trust and the club.  Having a direct connection with such an organisation is healthy and sensible and I hope that the red tape will shortly be cut through to allow the Trust to take a shareholding in our club.

I'm also in the process of answering the supporters' queries online - - but don't expect me to name names about who we're keen to sign!

I learned a lesson about being too open when what I thought was an off the record chat with fans at the Trust meeting ended up in the media.  My comment about approaching Manchester United for loan players was 'leaked' the next day.  Commercial confidentiality will also restrict some of my online replies, but I'm establishing the principle of being as approachable to the supporters as I can reasonably be.

Back on the fans' forum, I was joined in the hot seat by Grant Munro and I'd like to congratulate him for being so friendly and frank in his answers.  He's a credit to himself and this club.

Okay I've included a bit more than necessary here, but Alan Savage would seem to be keen to support the fans where possible, thankfully he still feels he wants to be involved and I look forward to reading his answers to our questions

NOTE TO SCOTTY/DON:  Would it be possible to be allowed to print these articles from the programme on a regular basis following a game for those fans who are unable to attend every game. Also possible Manager/Captain pages too.????

LG I'd certainly appreciate these articles being typed on the forum as generally when I buy a programme it usualy gets lost or stolen by one of my mates before I get a chance to read it.  Can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to leak an article like that to the press.. hope this could still be a possibility!

Just shows you how the media grapevine works though.

I'm sure Scotty or CaleyD could speak to the programme editor for permission to pulish these some time after the game.  I don't think it would stop people buying programmes at the game, but it would be a good service particularly for the fans who are not local.