FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

6pts needed for European Footie?

SMEE

I was just looking at the table. i reckon if we can get 6 pts from the next 15 (easily acheivable) then we should make history and get into europe. IF IF IF, we get them 6 pts, that will put us on 57 pts. St Johnstone our nearest threat can now only reach a maximum of 61 pts...should they WIN all their remaining games. I cant seem them doing it. And C*unty are *****...so they dont figure in this at all :P

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 2

Oh...and we should be rooting for Cellic to win the Scottish Cup, coz if they do...i beLIEve that 4th spot in SPL will also qualify for europe

No and no.

If the Scottish Cup winners have already qualified for the Champions League, the Europa League place is handed to the runners-up, and if the winners have already qualified for the Europa League, the Europa League place is given to the fourth placed SPL club.

Unless Celtic fail to win the league, St. Mirren appear to be going to Europe next season. :ohmy:

Oh...and we should be rooting for Cellic to win the Scottish Cup, coz if they do...i beLIEve that 4th spot in SPL will also qualify for europe

No and no.

If the Scottish Cup winners have already qualified for the Champions League, the Europa League place is handed to the runners-up, and if the winners have already qualified for the Europa League, the Europa League place is given to the fourth placed SPL club.

Unless Celtic fail to win the league, St. Mirren appear to be going to Europe next season. :ohmy:

Well, that is contrary to what was said on Sky Sports. However...i dont pretend to know one way or the other for sure

Found this on SPL site

~ If the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the SPL third-placed club enters at QR4, the fourth-placed club enters in QR3 and the cup runners-up enter in QR2.

• Agree 1

No and no.

Well, that is contrary to what was said on Sky Sports. However...i dont pretend to know one way or the other for sure

Found this on SPL site

~ If the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the SPL third-placed club enters at QR4, the fourth-placed club enters in QR3 and the cup runners-up enter in QR2.

I may well be wrong but in 2010, Motherwell got a European slot because both the winners and runners up of the SC had already qualified for Euro competition. One less place up for grabs so I assumed it would be St Mirren. Gretna played in Europe without winning SC? This is hurting my brain, away for a lie down now.

• Agree 1

No and no.

>Found this on SPL site

I may well be wrong but in 2010, Motherwell got a European slot because both the winners and runners up of the SC had already qualified for Euro competition. One less place up for grabs so I assumed it would be St Mirren. Gretna played in Europe without winning SC? This is hurting my brain, away for a lie down now.

I dunno....but, it seems for the good of Scottish hopes in europe, by way of number of teams competing (and to increase ICT's chance of getting into Europa Cup) we need Cellic to win scottish cup

• Agree 1

No and no.

No and no.

Doh! That's the league cup the midden are in the final of. Lost interest when we went out to Killie.

However if Utd. win the SC and finish top 3 then either way 4th in SPL will go to Europe.

• Agree 1

In simple terms, the cup runners up if the winner have qualified for Europe get nothing. Used to be that they got into Europe but not any more.  Rule was changed after Gretna, Queen of the South and another lower league team got into Europe.  Gretna interestingly never beat a SPL team on their way to the final and got Europe so the rule was deemed unfair.  IF Celtic win the cup then the European spot goes to the 4th place team.  The League Cup winners St Mirren get nothing apart from the trophy. Soooooo come on Celtic...............

Obviously unless we're secure in 3rd and County are 4th, in which case come on everyone else!!!!

• Agree 1

In simple terms, the cup runners up if the winner have qualified for Europe get nothing. Used to be that they got into Europe but not any more.  Rule was changed after Gretna, Queen of the South and another lower league team got into Europe.  Gretna interestingly never beat a SPL team on their way to the final and got Europe so the rule was deemed unfair.  IF Celtic win the cup then the European spot goes to the 4th place team.  The League Cup winners St Mirren get nothing apart from the trophy. Soooooo come on Celtic...............

Obviously unless we're secure in 3rd and County are 4th, in which case come on everyone else!!!!

If I'm right they also get a fiver!

I really don't get the anti County pish on here, it's not like they've ever really been our rivals at all. It's nice that a wee local team can share success with us.

My dislike for them harks back to the Old Highland League days. There was a healthy dislike between Caley and County fans. 

Guest Mahonio

I agree that 6 points will be enough for Europe and secure 3rd and on 4th making Europe, we don't need to worry about that ;-).

How does this affect fixtures, I worked our that we'd be away to Celtic, County, Saints and Dundee U and home to Motherwell but think I am wrong.

Been a great season :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

Edited by Mahonio

How does this affect fixtures, I worked our that we'd be away to Celtic, County, Saints and Dundee U and home to Motherwell but think I am wrong.

We'll have a minumum of 2 home games, so we'll end up playing someone for a 3rd time at TCS.

Only two games left then for the peeps of Inverness-shire (and beyond) to see the best ICT team to date - home to Celtic or County would be good for the coffers :wink:

Don't think there's any way we'll be at home to County for a third time - although Mr Adams would certainly seethe if it was to happen!!!