FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

At the end of the day whether we were positive/negative or undecided on the Hughes appointment I believe that through the years the board have got the managerial appointments right the vast majority of the time. For that reason alone they have my support on Hughes appointment and like any manager that comes into ICT Hughes will have my full support from day one. 

• Agree 1

I'm really struggling to be reasonable about this, I'm still in disbelief that he was the best candidate we could find.

Levein would've been my number one choice way ahead of Hartley, with Shields 3rd and the rest equally unwelcome.

If at some stage it turns out Craig Levein or Hartley were realistic options and we just plumped for the cheaper candidate in Hughes, I'll go buy a Real Madrid top and none of you will ever hear from me again :cry:

I agree completely, I can't honestly believe he was the best we could of found, I would of taken Hartley, Shiels maybe Levein, Laszlo or anyone as bad ahead of Hughes, don't want to believe he is our manager so I'm off to a dark room, in a dark house and I won't be on here for a while :?

I'm really struggling to be reasonable about this, I'm still in disbelief that he was the best candidate we could find.

Levein would've been my number one choice way ahead of Hartley, with Shields 3rd and the rest equally unwelcome.

If at some stage it turns out Craig Levein or Hartley were realistic options and we just plumped for the cheaper candidate in Hughes, I'll go buy a Real Madrid top and none of you will ever hear from me again :cry:

I agree completely, I can't honestly believe he was the best we could of found, I would of taken Hartley, Shiels maybe Levein, Laszlo or anyone as bad ahead of Hughes, don't want to believe he is our manager so I'm off to a dark room, in a dark house and I won't be on here for a while :?

Do you not think he deserves a chance??

To be fair I think you have to be in on the interview process to decided who the best candidate is 

He can't read that - he's in a dark room.  :furtive:

• Agree 1

Can we not summarise this endless thread as follows:

Many were underwhelmed with the CV

Many were impressed with the interviews of Yogi, Kenny C and Richie

Most want to give him a chance and reserve judgement.

There's a game tomorrow !!!

• Agree 2

I see the new manager is already a hotter topic than Butcher offski.

I actually thought it may be Chabba.

Yogi deserves a chance and we probably couldn't afford  some of the managers mentioned, he gets my vote, the type of players we have will suit him down to the ground.

I can 100% confirm that Levein and Hartley were willing to come in on a joint managerial roll but we turned them down because Hughes was willing to take the job on £50 a week.  :tongueincheek:

Wonder how many people miss the sarcasm?

As I suspected would happen. it is the aftermath of the breakdown of most narcissistic relationships. Butcher was idolised by many who became co-dependants and were undoubtedly traumatised by the manner of his selfish departure. You can feel hurt and betrayed and become reluctant to become involved in any new relationship. There Is a pronounced lost of trust and a fear of being let down again. Many will feel that Hughes has let people down in the past but Hartley is a fresh faced virginal option.

"Did we get the best available? On the basis that we only offered the job to one person and they accepted, then yeah, I trust that Kenny Cameron and the board appointed the best person available"

What about Maurice Malpas?

I did say "available" (twice).  He crossed himself off the list before it was even drawn up.

Let's face it no matter who was selected as the new manager some on here would have moans and groans about him. Seems to be the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Butcher had the same dung thrown at him from time to time and probably by some of the same critics on here.

I suppose it makes them happy and feeling important.

Where is the psycho analyst when you need him !!!

Sooner the fitba starts the better

As I suspected would happen. it is the aftermath of the breakdown of most narcissistic relationships. Butcher was idolised by many who became co-dependants and were undoubtedly traumatised by the manner of his selfish departure. You can feel hurt and betrayed and become reluctant to become involved in any new relationship. There Is a pronounced lost of trust and a fear of being let down again. Many will feel that Hughes has let people down in the past but Hartley is a fresh faced virginal option.

I haven't sensed any disillusion or breakdowns on here over the past couple of managerless weeks, the majority seemed to be of the opinion that as things stood, we wouldnt miss TB, especially after Foran signed on again.  People were entirely optimistic about who we could bring in next and what direction we would take, nobody was feeling abandoned by Butcher.  You've got this little analysis wrong about people being likely to reject any and all new leaders, no doubt you'll argue the toss on that.

I was critical of Butcher for the same maniacal reasons you were but was happy to have him as the figurehead/spokesperson for the club knowing most of the work was being done by others, I was one of the few people on here who wanted him to bugger off to Barnsley last January.  I certainly won't miss him and the response from the players and everyone within the club was telling of how missed he will really be.

• Agree 1

You have evidently missed out on the long running dismissals of my narcissist theory on Mr Butcher. He has torn apart the heart of many posters. You appear to have a more resolute psyche but many posters have been affected by the powerful aftermath emotional psychology - as much unconsciously as consciously.

I don't believe for one minute, that Hughes was the real first choice for board.  I mean, taking almost four weeks to employ an unemployed manager is the giveaway and Hughes was no way the man they really had their heart set on from the off.  I know the board "voted unanimously" for Hughes, but that's not really that difficult when you consider that the other choice was Sutton United coach Paul Telfer (what...I am what?!).  It's all done now though.

It's quite interesting actually.  A lot of prominent players at ICT right now, were by no means the club's first choices.  Billy Mckay was only signed after Terry Gornell turned us down.  Some argue that Mckay is worth £1,000,000 - Gornell has since left Shrewsbury (who he turned us down for), before being released by Rochdale and is now at Cheltenham.  Ross Draper only came in after Lee Beevers pulled out at the eleventh hour, and Dean Brill (I'm led to believe) was only signed after a loan move from an Arsenal keeper in the summer fell through.  And this mob will be by no means the only ones.  Have we landed on our feet again?

Hughes, despite needing subtitles, certainly seems enthusiastic.  That can only be a good thing, and his statements that very little needs to be changed, has certainly put me at ease for the time being.  It'll interesting to see though, what (probably minor) changes he will make.  Will we finally see Curtis Allen is the squad?  What'll he do with Doran and Watkins?  Will he change the formation somewhat?  I for one, am looking forward to finding out.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

[/quot

He can't read that - he's in a dark room.  :furtive:

I think kc put the names in a hat and pulled one out in a dark room /just saying like!

I am without any logical reason coming round to the new gaffer.

I judge on what he and the players have said since his appointment.

Especially our captain.

In a few weeks we'll kinda know how things are panning out.

Until then its wait and see as this is the part of the season we generally tend to have a slump.

I aint #teamyogi yet but am definitely more open minded

onwards and upwards and lets keep it goin and lets be honest if we remain in a good position top 6 and hump the dwellers on the 1st then ah'll be fairly convinced it was the right choice after all.

Finally after seen the sceptic destroy everything in their path domestically recently probably best to discount any humping we may receive from them in our analysis of hughes as our manager

• Agree 3

Especially our captain.

Until then its wait and see as this is the part of the season we generally tend to have a slump.

onwards and upwards and lets keep it goin and lets be honest if we remain in a good position top 6 and hump the dwellers on the 1st then ah'll be fairly convinced it was the right choice after all.

Finally after seen the sceptic destroy everything in their path domestically recently probably best to discount any humping we may receive from them in our analysis of hughes as our manager

What he said. Agreed! Edited by Caley80

Especially our captain.

12 goals in two games ! Now I'm worried.

I spoke to my daughter yesterday on the phone.( she lives in Brighton)  I mentioned ICT had signed Hughes as the new manager. She said that's a surprise, he hasn't been at Stoke long" I had to smile

• Agree 2

I cannot believe some people on here would prefer Levein to Hughes. Levein is highly overated and his teams are boring to watch. Tactically, he also thought he was cleverer than he actually was. At least with Hughes in charge, the next few weeks might be quite entertaining.