FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT's Biggest Coups

ICTPaisley

Over the years we have been well known for reigniting the spark in players who have lost their way or have been out injured for a while.  We have also signed a lot of players who were completely unknown and used us as a stepping stone to other clubs but how many of our signings over the past few years have been big name players?

I was just trying to think of players who we signed and thought wow we done well getting him.  Who is our biggest "name" signings.

David Bingham and Juanjo was the first big signings we made for me, when Robbo brought them in i finally thought we were stepping up to the next level in terms of signing players.

Curious to know what other peoples opinions are.

'Coup' was certainly the operative word when we signed Marius Niculae. He was a player I was aware of and 'knew about'; a current international for a national team of some repute. He played at the European Championships as an ICT registered player - but for me, he too often flattered-to-deceive.

I also view Terry Butcher coming to ICT as something of a statement, at the time. His subsequent signing of his former player, Richie Foran also excited me - I'd always rated him highly when at Motherwell.

Aside from coups, there have been numerous 'landmark' moments in our history - the 3-1 win at Parkhead was hugely significant for so many reasons.

Also, I always remember when it was announced that we were going full-time, as a significant development. Of course, for younger fans, it will always have been this way, but again, this was another indication of the club's growing stature.

*wipes away tear*

:smile:

Steve Paterson was a big local successful name when he took over & the following years of some wonderfully exciting football moving through the divisions cannot be forgotten. Leaving us at the top of Div 1 was also one of the biggest disappointments tho. it would have been great seeing him take ICT to the spl,

Wasnt Sandy Robertson(?) signing a pretty big deal back in the day? Also....there was John Macdonald (ex rangers) or.......were they Caley players from the Highland league days? i cant remember

Yeah, both ICT players - but even back then, I didn't get excited about them.

Okay, I'm biased, but when Inverness Thistle appointed Leishman - that was a big surprise. His 'stock' in the game was still high.

We (The Jags) also managed to get Billy Abercrombie - now that was something. He was a player who'd gone up the Hampden Park steps to lift the Scottish Cup as his team's winning captain. An honour bestowed upon few, like John Greig at Rangers, Willie Miller at Aberdeen, Billy McNeil at Celtic and Billy Ab, latterly at Inverness Thistle.

I don't recall Caley ever recruiting a player of such high pedigree. 

Wasnt Sandy Robertson(?) signing a pretty big deal back in the day? Also....there was John Macdonald (ex rangers) or.......were they Caley players from the Highland league days? i cant remember

Okay, I'm biased, but when Inverness Thistle appointed Leishman - that was a big surprise. His 'stock' in the game was still high.

We (The Jags) also managed to get Billy Abercrombie - now that was something. He was a player who'd gone up the Hampden Park steps to lift the Scottish Cup as his team's winning captain. An honour bestowed upon few, like John Greig at Rangers, Willie Miller at Aberdeen, Billy McNeil at Celtic and Billy Ab, latterly at Inverness Thistle.

I don't recall Caley ever recruiting a player of such high pedigree

Umh.....Sergi Baltacha......capped by USSR numerous times including world cup finals and euro champs and Dynamo Kiev Capt!! Besides.....caley didnt sign has beens...they supplied quality to higher league teams....Like billy urquhart (scored in euproe for Rangers, palyed for Wigan) kevin macdonald (Leicester city captain, Liverpool champs lge medal winner....aston Villa and rangers) Steve whathisface...that went to Wolves when they were doing well

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 3

That's probably because you are too young.

Off the top of my head I can remember Bobby Bolt and Bill Patterson (both ex Rangers) and Paddy Buckley (ex Dons). These were all big names. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could think of several more.

That's probably because you are too young.

Off the top of my head I can remember Bobby Bolt and Bill Patterson (both ex Rangers) and Paddy Buckley (ex Dons). These were all big names. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could think of several more.

Wasnt the signing of Dave Johnstone and AnDy penman pretty big deal too? im sure my dad told me that

• Agree 1

I don't recall Caley ever recruiting a player of such high pedigree

Umh.....Sergi Baltacha......capped by USSR numerous times including world cup finals and euro champs and Dynamo Kiev Capt!! Besides.....caley didnt sign has beens...they supplied quality to higher league teams....Like billy urquhart (scored in euproe for Rangers, palyed for Wigan) kevin macdonald (Leicester city captain, Liverpool champs lge medal winner....aston Villa and rangers) Steve whathisface...that went to Wolves when they were doing well

I'll give you Baltacha, although I consider him more ICT than Caley. But the others were Caley players that were sold on - I could quote Darren McLean for £30,000 to Liverpool. Huge money in those days.

But that's not my point. '

Thistle secured a 'big name' signing - Caley liked to think they were the 'Rangers of the North' but like their Glasgow counterparts, who like to still trade by that name, are living on sheer fallacies from by-gone-days!

I'll give you Baltacha, although I consider him more ICT than Caley. But the others were Caley players that were sold on - I could quote Darren McLean for £30,000 to Liverpool. Huge money in those days.

But that's not my point. '

Thistle secured a 'big name' signing - Caley liked to think they were the 'Rangers of the North' but like their Glasgow counterparts, who like to still trade by that name, are living on sheer fallacies from by-gone-days!

Why do you consider him more ICT? He'd never have been at ICT if it hadn't been for the Caley Committee luring him North. Was a big deal at the time btw

• Agree 1

He'll obviously be recognised more as ICT's first manger than a Caley player! His time at Caley was instantly forgettable!

Picture BBC 1's 'Pointless' - "Name the clubs Serge Baltacha played for?"

Caley would be a Pointless answer.

Ach, hmm...appropriate!

He'll obviously be recognised more as ICT's first manger than a Caley player! His time at Caley was instantly forgettable!

Picture BBC 1's 'Pointless' - "Name the clubs Serge Baltacha played for?"

Caley would be a Pointless answer.

Ach, hmm...appropriate!

Obviously only forgettable to former jaggies then ha ha

Signing Iain Stewart. The best £30k the club has ever spent.

Absolutely brilliant signing but I was too young to know him before ict? Was he someone we thought would do well for us ?

ICT were desperate to land Iain Stewart for a while....i recall that much