FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT's Biggest Coups

ICTPaisley

Can we keep this thread on topic please. In danger of becoming yet another merger thread.

I think every mod should have that as their signature just to save time in future.

Why do you consider him more ICT? He'd never have been at ICT if it hadn't been for the Caley Committee luring him North. Was a big deal at the time btw

I would have to agree with OCG here. Sergei arrived at Caley in June 1993, spent a year there as player manager and was then appointed by the new board in 1994 as the first CT manager where he lasted a year before a quite civilised sacking. Given his 50 Soviet caps and all the other things (described by Charlie Christie at the time as "playing credentials others could only dream of") it must be between him and TB to be the highest profile individual at the club.

And it was indeed a very bold and imaginative move by the Caley Committee who may also just have been manoeuvring their high profile name into pole position at a time when merger was in the air and a manager for some new club might be required fairly soon (as turned out to be the case).

Unfortunately Sergei didn't quite deliver either as a player or as a manager. Indeed in the 2-1 defeat by QoS in CT's first ever Scottish Cup tie at Telford Street, Sergei gave away one of the two identical 20 yard free kicks which led to the QoS goals - and then turned round and blamed keeper Mark MacRitchie!

The thing that struck me most when Norman Miller took him to Telford Street that day in 1993 to introduce him to the media was how bad his English was. IHowever I also have to suggest that when he left after two years at Telford Street it had probably become a whole lot worse!

For instance, how do you translate "Howyadooen Sergmun?" into Ukrainian?

Can we keep this thread on topic please. In danger of becoming yet another merger thread.

You could always merge them to one thread...

but then 30, 300, 3000 of our members would refuse to post on the thread ......

anyway, back on topic before Kingsmills bans me from the thread ..... Biggest coups for ICT are all relative to the divisions we were in at the time I think

In HL days - getting into the senior setup in the first place

In D3 days - Getting Baltacha as manager. Regardless of his record after he came to Caley/CT, he was, at the time, a player from the top league with a very impressive playing career mostly behind him and the hopes of an equally successful managerial one ....

In D2/D1 days - attracting Robbo and Brewster as managers. Again, ignore what happened afterwards (esp with Brewster) but at the time both could be viewed as a big coup. Attracting the likes of Shearer, Niculae, and even former international keeper Nicky Walker to the club as players. In fact, any time we signed a player from the top league or one with an 'established name' could probably be called that. .....

In Premiership days - Getting Butcher as our manager and Malpas as assistant is maybe the biggest one but now we are up playing with the big boys perhaps it doesnt feel that way. Between them they have loads of international caps (cant be bothered looking up the amount) and we would have salivated at getting either in days gone by let alone both of them ..... Getting the likes of Foran may also have been a coup back in the day too, but he followed his managerial mentor so not as big a deal. I have a feeling our biggest Premiership coup (as well as achievement) is yet to come ...... no idea what/who it is or when, but will look forward to it ....   

Paul Cherry, what a player he was

I saw him as competent and reliable, without ever being particularly spectacular - he was past his best when he came to us, if truth be told.

But he did a job in the lower leagues. Decent, but not 'Hall of ICT Fame' material! (in my opinion)

Why do you consider him more ICT? He'd never have been at ICT if it hadn't been for the Caley Committee luring him North. Was a big deal at the time btw

I would have to agree with OCG here. Sergei arrived at Caley in June 1993, spent a year there as player manager and was then appointed by the new board in 1994 as the first CT manager where he lasted a year before a quite civilised sacking. Given his 50 Soviet caps and all the other things (described by Charlie Christie at the time as "playing credentials others could only dream of") it must be between him and TB to be the highest profile individual at the club.

And it was indeed a very bold and imaginative move by the Caley Committee who may also just have been manoeuvring their high profile name into pole position at a time when merger was in the air and a manager for some new club might be required fairly soon (as turned out to be the case).

Unfortunately Sergei didn't quite deliver either as a player or as a manager. Indeed in the 2-1 defeat by QoS in CT's first ever Scottish Cup tie at Telford Street, Sergei gave away one of the two identical 20 yard free kicks which led to the QoS goals - and then turned round and blamed keeper Mark MacRitchie!

The thing that struck me most when Norman Miller took him to Telford Street that day in 1993 to introduce him to the media was how bad his English was. IHowever I also have to suggest that when he left after two years at Telford Street it had probably become a whole lot worse!

For instance, how do you translate "Howyadooen Sergmun?" into Ukrainian?

Remember reading somewhere that big Vlad offered Sergei the Hearts job a few years back. 

Paul Cherry, what a player he was

I saw him as competent and reliable, without ever being particularly spectacular - he was past his best when he came to us, if truth be told.

But he did a job in the lower leagues. Decent, but not 'Hall of ICT Fame' material! (in my opinion)

Paul Cherry was class, one of my favourite ICT players, With Stewart and Teasdale