Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Newton

English Person Interested in Caley

Recommended Posts

Hello folks i am from Bristol and take interest in different football cultures from around Europe, i find it a nice tonic from the Prem where everyteam and their fans are basically sellouts who are happy to go along with the circus so long as their team is profiting.

 

I have delved into Italian,Spanish and few others because you find in those countries there is still a big sense of regional pride and they have strong vocal if smaller supporters and even the players they sign tend to be local and have the same mentality.

 

So i started to look at Scotand and Inverness came on to my radar and i was imediately attracted to them, the main reason being that you are so far away from the rest of the teams geographically. You are not just representing a city but an entire region, i then googled the the stadium and thought it was really tidy with the sea behind a nice little backdrop, ive later learned it's in an industrial estate in no mans land with sub zero tempratures

 

But then i delved deeper and read about the merger and how alot of the originals have never taken the new outfit so the club has lost a large portion of fans, also the atmosphere is dire although to be fair most outside the top 5 are not great, also been on a few general SPFL forums and the general consensus from other fans toward Inverness is indifference or at worst a plastic non club.

After winning the Cup a couple of years ago and having a couple of really good seasons you would think that would galvanize the fan base but it seems to have withered a bit and that would alarm me.

Inverness seems to be as a City a bit like the Club they have they seem to have had this really ambitious idea of rapid growth and alot of people from outside have moved there with no connection so maybe it will take 5 or 10 years to settle down for people to want to attatched to their new local cub, i don't know

My question i this, do you ever see things changing? i mean as i said not just Inverness but everyone in the Highlands should count them as their team so in theory you have a huge pool of potential fan, same goes for players.

What are the other main problems? is it the spit? is it a wealthy city so you have a Fulham situation where you are never going to get passionate hardcores?

I am very interested to know

Also the Liam Polworth thing was not cool, he was a really talented player who loved the team he should have been adored and your talisman but was hounded out it seems, it 

I just think on paper Inverness has so much potential it's like Naples in south taking on the establishment in the North, that should be your thing, sticking it to the South but when you have more Rangers fans than your own somethings not right, so fair play to the core how stick with your team it's not easy having an ugly wife but shows good character in my opinion, just need few more of you

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Jo,

welcome to the forums. 

 

I reckon you have captured everything in a nutshell there. General apathy tends to rule in the North and it's difficult to grow the fanbase. We definitely peaked three or four years ago but with cash issues comes the inevitable.

If you search the site you can see some really interesting topics regarding the merger and there are many of them.

Enjoy.

Here's your starter for ten...

https://caleythistleonline.com/files/category/8-against-all-odds/

 

Good luck sifting through the dozens of merger topics and deciphering the cryptic messages:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Joseph Newton said:

, so fair play to the core how stick with your team it's not easy having an ugly wife but shows good character in my opinion, just need few more of you

One wife’s enough for me, ugly or otherwise. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Joseph Newton said:

not just Inverness but everyone in the Highlands should count them

Ooh first post and already controversial - I think our 'friends' from Dingwall may not quite agree with you ?

Anyway, hello and welcome!

Inverness is far from unique, the falling attendance in Scottish football is very worrying and there are a multitude of reasons for it. I live in Norfolk these days so have another regional club to compare with and I'm still amazed at the enthusiasm and crowds I see at Carrow Road - still 25,000+ when they're outside the Prem! Contrast that with the Dundee derby last weekend, a city of similar size and the derby fixture only pulls in just over 11,000. In the larger cities, Aberdeen regularly average about 13,000, Hibs 15,000 and Hearts 16,000. From the match attendances I find it hard to justify our claim that Scotland is a football daft nation.

Apathy rules, but given the quality of entertainment served and the increasing cost to watch it, it's hardly surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tm4tj said:

 

 

 

Enjoy.

Here's your starter for ten...

https://caleythistleonline.com/files/category/8-against-all-odds/

 

Good luck sifting through the dozens of merger topics and deciphering the cryptic messages:lol:

 

Thanks i will have a look at that.

 

Yes it's not just scotland you notice that most nations outside the big league's seem to operate as a cyndicate where you have the one or two big fish who suck up all the talent and sell them abroad and thrive while everybody else struggle to exist.

It is a bit like society in general i suppose where people moan and accept there lot but if every one banded together at once things probably could change but most can't be arsed, My point is that take Millwall for example, say what you want about them i get they aren't most peoples cup of tea, but as a club their natural is probably league 1 but they have always over achieved because there is a hardcore fanbase and mindset within the club that demand certain standard so fancy dan players who want an easy ride won't play for them because the fan won't stand for it, so it's an example of how the fans can literally drag a team on and have a close knit spirit, same as Portsmouth, everyone from there support pompey because that's where they're from and who they are whether in Prem or League 2, you don't get to pick and it's shameful.

Heard a Cockney Liverpool fan on the radio saying 'us and 'we and it's just weird.

Another question, the three hot prospects you have Roddy, the left back can't remember his name and Mckay. what do you think is their ceiling? Top end SPL? International?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Joseph Newton said:

Another question, the three hot prospects you have Roddy, the left back can't remember his name and Mckay. what do you think is their ceiling? Top end SPL? International?

Realistically, most of our Youth are probably promising enough for a call up. Roddy has potential to get a youth call up, but has somehow ducked under the radar.

Can't think of the Left Back you're on about, Carl Tremarco is brinking on his 40s, so I doubt Gareth Southgate will be looking to add him into the lineups, and hasn't been called up in the 16 years of his career to any level. McHattie I cast my doubts, as he hasn't made too many games and Cameron Harper could have a chance.

And Mckay, not sure if you're referring to Brad or accidentally mispelt Daniel's surname, but no, the Mckay (Brad) isn't looking likely for a scotland call up, however Daniel Mackay, has quite a fair chance, and likely will be in the Scotland squad in the forseeable future (assuming he's not linked with an irrefusable deal down south)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha that's the pair, Harper and Mackay, 

Don't know if you lot are aware but there is a CB Morrison plays for Dunfirmline and ha been called up to U21s, 

Die hard Caley fan apparently need to keep n eye on him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joseph Newton said:

Haha that's the pair, Harper and Mackay, 

Don't know if you lot are aware but there is a CB Morrison plays for Dunfirmline and ha been called up to U21s, 

Die hard Caley fan apparently need to keep n eye on him

His mum and dad are ST holders 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum Joseph.

Inverness has expanded massively in the last twenty five years and the influx of incomers to the area has been huge so much so you really struggle to hear an Invernessian accent in the stands during home games at times.

Ross county have as many Inverness born and bred supporters if not more so than ICT astonishing that may sound but it’s true.

Think there are a number of reasons for this but Inverness has never embraced ICT and continue to not do so.

The so called guardians 25 years ago got it so terribly wrong the stench still remains today lingering about in the city all be it not so strong.

Time being a great healer and that I suppose.

We do attract  fans out with the city from  the likes of your rural Aberdeenshire’s, Chorley and Caithness yokels Etc but they also seem to have the baggage of being old firm fans.

As Inverness keeps expanding let’s hope more incomers arrive and swell the attendances at the dump

Dougal

 

Edited by dougal
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dougal said:

Welcome to the forum Joseph.

Inverness has expanded massively in the last twenty five years and the influx of incomers to the area has been huge so much so you really struggle to hear an Invernessian accent in the stands during home games at times.

Ross county have as many Inverness born and bred supporters if not more so than ICT astonishing that may sound but it’s true.

Think there are a number of reasons for this but Inverness has never embraced ICT and continue to not do so.

The so called guardians 25 years ago got it so terribly wrong the stench still remains today lingering about in the city all be it not so strong.

Time being a great healer and that I suppose.

We do attract  fans out with the city from  the likes of your rural Aberdeenshire’s, Chorley and Caithness yokels Etc but they also seem to have the baggage of being old firm fans.

As Inverness keeps expanding let’s hope more incomers arrive and swell the attendances at the dump

Dougal

 

LOL thank you i think i have that feeling it's what i was getting at that once the dust settles and the new wave have found their roots maybe in 10-20 years Inverness could be a power house, i know that sounds mental but apart from RC you have all of that catchment area to yourselves, ultra optimistic i know but just need to weather the storm, and it's a monsoon at  the present lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Realistically, most of our Youth are probably promising enough for a call up. Roddy has potential to get a youth call up, but has somehow ducked under the radar.

Can't think of the Left Back you're on about, Carl Tremarco is brinking on his 40s, so I doubt Gareth Southgate will be looking to add him into the lineups, and hasn't been called up in the 16 years of his career to any level. McHattie I cast my doubts, as he hasn't made too many games and Cameron Harper could have a chance.

And Mckay, not sure if you're referring to Brad or accidentally mispelt Daniel's surname, but no, the Mckay (Brad) isn't looking likely for a scotland call up, however Daniel Mackay, has quite a fair chance, and likely will be in the Scotland squad in the forseeable future (assuming he's not linked with an irrefusable deal down south)

There's some real talent in the youth squad. Roddy and Daniel had Scottish youth trials at some age group (Roddy up against Billy Gilmour...tough one!) Daniel got into Scottish schools u/18. Cammy is a super young full back - hope he gets more games this season. Jack Brown could have easily been in the first team squad this season - there's some good players there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings Joseph, RC have always been THE highland club simply because they have been around much longer than ICT. As someone mentioned, much of the support has come from people who have moved to Inverness, at the cup final I sat with two girls born in Inverness who had travelled from France and Canada, the club had 15,000 supporters that day most I reckon from outside Inverness. When I moved north during the Paterson years I was entertained by the style of football his team played and which led to many Scottish Cup upsets Celtic (twice) Hearts away, Motherwell away when we were still a 1st division team, few had taken notice of what was being built in Inverness which eventually culminated in the SC win and third in the league. The club then shot themselves in both feet, however, Livingstone have shown that these days can come again. That said the game has changed for supporters, the days of turning up paying your money and standing with your pals discussing the game have gone and the game is poorer for it.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joseph Newton said:

Charming

Don't worry too much about IHE. He's a little pussy cat really. He's very much a Caley man and loves England.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is, very definitely, an apathy towards ICT from within the City. Some blame the merger but this was 25 years ago now. Looks like old wounds will never heal in respect of this. Those born after the merger should have no say in what went on back in the day. These children would have mainly been brought up with parents supporting one of those big clubs from Glasgow - in effect glory hunters. I too am from England and I came across Caledonian FC back in 1978. I've been following them every since. I didn't want the two clubs to merge but it happened anyway and I accepted it. ICT have given me some great times over the years and I've been to over 200 games (a 900+ miles round trip for home games). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 7:57 AM, Gringo said:

There is, very definitely, an apathy towards ICT from within the City. Some blame the merger but this was 25 years ago now. Looks like old wounds will never heal in respect of this. Those born after the merger should have no say in what went on back in the day. These children would have mainly been brought up with parents supporting one of those big clubs from Glasgow - in effect glory hunters. I too am from England and I came across Caledonian FC back in 1978. I've been following them every since. I didn't want the two clubs to merge but it happened anyway and I accepted it. ICT have given me some great times over the years and I've been to over 200 games (a 900+ miles round trip for home games). 

Is it down to the type of people in Inverness? what i mean is from the outside looking in Inverness is beautiful location, Billionaire C.E.O's tend to move to the highlands, and Inverness has become sort of a mini London type so does the town lack a kind of close knit everyone knows everyone type of vibe, is it a little bit sterile?

 

It's just something that really interests me because you get some towns with seemingly nothing going for it but through  football you can see a buzzing proud bunch, Portmouth being one of first to come to mind, Leeds another,why do some towns have massive fan bases and some absolutely zero

Blackburn won the prem and are always in and about the top flight, good set up nice stadium but the stands are empty, it baffles me

Edited by Joseph Newton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s an interesting thought...weather the Roy MacGregor storm of investment over the bridge and the subsequent collapse of county when he dies, then the Highlands really are ours!! 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inverness has always been a football town, and has/had some of the oldest clubs in the world. For more than a century, the town supported 3 or 4 thriving clubs. So, whatever the problems ICT have, it is not that the town has no football culture or history. Quite the opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.