FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Should ICT settle for second best?

SMEE

Bennet in todays Courier regarding Dargo......"We have made him as good an offer as we are able to," he stated. "However, Craig has been honest enough to tell us that he wants to wait and see what becomes available.

Question is, should ICT allow themselves to potentially be Second choice should nothing come along for him? Personally, I dont want any mercinaries or the like at the club!

The way I see it is that if he doesn't go he will never be fully happy playing for us and will look to leave at any chance. He will either play his best to showcase his talent to other clubs watching, or become a lethargic, lackluster player with no dedication or ambition. The fact is if he isn't going anywhere then he will want the club to grow, do well and adapt to his needs, but without 100% dedication from his part that isn't going to happen. We are not second best. We have given him a place to play over the past few years so if hes going to be here then he needs to do us a favour and play his best.

He's hardly Nicholas Anelka is he?

He's seen out his contract and has been a great player for us.  If he stays, fantastic but if he gets an offer that will better his career and his circumstances then good luck to him/

The days of "playing for the shirt" are far gone for most players in the modern game, and if we are honest, then every player is a mercenary.  Some find their level with a club they are happy at and stick it out there for years, but the majority are always looking to move on to better things.

Dargo is still a risk to any club, the type of injuries he's had never heal 100% and although he has been largely fine since joining us (other than his shoulder), his knee may not last out at a "higher" level and clubs will be only to aware of that and will tailor any offer accordingly, as we will have I am sure.

With the above in mind, would these clubs be interested if he was still in contract and they had to pay a 6 figure fee???

He's been a great player for us and I hope he stays, I don't grudge him looking elsewhere, but if he was such "hot property" then someone would have had him on a pre-contract by now.  I think their is an element of Dargo "talking himself up" when he mentions the amount and level of interest from elsewhere.

Dargo's a professional. If he can't get a move to better himself financially then he will do a job for us for say another two years.

Nothing personal in it. If he'd never even heard of ICT 5 years ago, so what? The wee man's one of the classiest players ever to wear the shirt. I'd love to see him paired up with Denzil and terrorising defences next year.

He's seen out his contract and has been a great player for us.  If he stays, fantastic but if he gets an offer that will better his career and his circumstances then good luck to him

:021: :025: :025: :021:

These players never learn... no player/manger (bar maybe Robson) escapes the curse!!

In all seriousness I'm a bit gutted with both Dargo and Dods, not showing a bit more of the loyalty shown to them by the club.  It is down to the player himself on how good he perform and what standard he plays but ICT gave them both the platform to show they still had what it takes.  I wouldn't expect them to finish their career with us but it would have been nice if they at least extended their contracts for another year so we could get some cash for them.

Dargo has been one of our best ever signings. He's without question, one of the most talented players I've seen in an ICT shirt. And to his credit, he's said all along he wouldn't leave until he'd seen out his contract(even though clubs were after him back in Jan). He's kept his word.

Yes, we did resurrect his career, but equally his 30 odd goals for us have done as much for us as the club has done for him.

In short, he's been a pleasure to watch week in week out, and as much as I'm praying he stays, I'll wish him every success if he leaves. And I really do hope that if he does leave, it's to a club in England because I believe he has the talent necessary to make a success of it down there.

If a player honours his contract and gives his best til the end, we have no cause for complaint.

Couldnt agree more.

I would love to see Dargo stay but lets not forget that its a short career and he has to see whats on offer for what will probably be his last 'big' contract. If Notts Forest do offer him something it will certainly be out of our league in more ways than one and we should wish him well. I would be more concerned if he turned up playing for Falkirk, St Mirren or other teams that are at the same sort of size and level as us as we should be competing with them both on and off the park..

Guest Suspicious Mind

Answer to the question is yes.

If Dargs want to sit tight to consider options good luck to him. Hopefully (doubtfully!) he won't get many ,ore attractive offers and want to stay at ICT.

As they (never yet met anyone who does!) "don't bite your nose to spite your face" (I think?)

Dargo, who earns his living from playing football, wants to wait to see if he has any options at the end of his current contract, what's wrong with that ?

If nothing better is offered I'm sure he will stay with us and continue, injuries permiting, to be on of our most skillful players.

If on the othr hand some other team ofers him much better terms he's likely to take them, who wouln't in the same circumstances ?