FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Other teams you have supported?

SMEE

As the Subject lines asks...what all teams have you followed in yer life. Its not uncommon as a kid to change alleigences to teams frequently. Since mid 70s, I was a keen Caley fan, but have also followed in my time.....Ipswich Town and Aberdeen which was later swapped for Celtic (wen Caley were still a highland league team).

My English team i like to follow is Newcastle Utd and has been since late 80's

I was about 11 when I started supporting ICT, when we were in our first season of the 3rd Division.

Before that, my dad took me to a lot of Aberdeen games since he is a Dons fan; but I never much liked it. Instead I would look forward to Gazetta Football Italia on a Sunday, as I really liked the player Guiseppe Signori who played for Lazio; so I became a Lazio "fan". Spent 2 or 3 years in my back garden taking one-step penalties with my left foot, despite me being right footed, just to be like him. It was only when I was older that I discovered Lazio's fascist roots etc...

Then my dad took me to an ICT v. Aberdeen friendly and I really enjoyed it, much more than Pittodrie games. So then I became an ICT fan. At the time I was playing for Elgin City youths, so got quite a bit of stick for that, and didn't even celebrate when I scored a winning goal in an important league game  :009:

Guest couchpotato

Leeds United when i was young due to the Scottish connection, Bremner,Lorimer etc etc,Caley till the amalgamation and also Worcester City as i used to go and watch them with a mate

never really supported any team before ict although i've always watched it...

being born and brought up in glasgow i had a vague affiliation to the jags - but that was just cos there was sooo much crap going on with the other 2.  you used to go out and folk would ask first what your name was and if that gave nothing away what school you went to and if there were no clues there what team you supported....  hence the jags.

used to go watch local teams in lewis as a youngster and then when i moved back to glasgow with work it was scotland.

when i came to inverness i'd go to watch all three teams but probably more caley ones as i met folk there i knew.  once the merger came there was no contest!

been to games at pittodrie, celtic park and ibrox too and have had a wee soft spot for a few other teams down the years for various reasons.

in england at the moment it's forest (cos their manager's good... :003:) and have always looked out for wolves as my cousin is a diehard fan and season ticket holder..

I was a Caley supporter and a Celtic fan.

I make the distinction between supporter and fan as a supporter contributes to their team in some way (by paying in at turnstiles, buying merchandise etc) whereas a fan just follows the team and makes no contribution to their team monetarily or otherwise.

My Celtic allegiances died on the day ICT entered the Scottish leagues and despite one or two people trying to get through to "Off the Ball" to question those allegiances when I appeared on it after the 3-1 Parkhead game, the truth of the matter is that the two times I have been to Parkhead were both in the away end as a Caley Thistle supporter.

My English team was Arsenal as I did go to Highbury a few times when I lived in London. I also had a soft spot for both Wolves and Newcastle when they were in the lower leagues as I had friends from both places, and for Wimbledon as they travelled through the leagues because my uncle lived there.

Nowadays I guess I am a supporter of both Caley Thistle and Toronto FC as I do contribute to each team ... to ICt via this website, being a shareholder and ordering merchandise and to TFC by attending games.

Grew up a Rangers fan but, when I moved to England for University, realised just how disgusting the bigotry was.  Supported St Mirren then as they were my closest team but they never really did it for me.  I had moved to Inverness and liked Clach but when the merger happened, ICT became my main team.  As it was, ICT's first match was against St Mirren, so had to declare my allegiance straightaway.

Living in Egypt, I also support Ismailia.  They're like the Aberdeen to the Old Firm of Zamalek and Ahly.

In England, I've also flirted around the teams.  Notts Forest (success) and West Ham (family) as a boy, then Everton as they seemed full of Scots.  Also, follow some teams due to their players or manager (e.g. Matt le Tissier, Paul Sturrock's Plymouth)

Chris

Remember as a small kid liking Chelsea (early 70's) came home from school one day and told my old man that i was a Bristol City fan, he soon put me right on that, started watching Bristol Rovers 1973-74 season with my dad and have supported them ever since, been a season ticket holder longer than i can remember. Used to watch for Everton results around the Bob Latchford era, watch out for Exeter City results and support and coach my sons team Avon Athletic under 10's FC who play in the Hanham Minor League in Bristol.

Started watching Caley 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since, its only distance that keeps me from getting to more games.

I reckon I have "converted" about 25/30 people over here so that they either actively follow ICT as their "Scottish team" or at least look out for their results  :003:

As a young teenager I could hear the baying across the Howden's Nursery when a goal was scored and I knew instinctively when Caley had scored because there was always a mighty shout that seemed to reverberate like a firework going off across the rose bushes. About this time I would listen agog to the Internationals with England and Austria at Hampden on the radio and I started to get the feeling that this patriot stuff was quite a thrill.

Then the Caley stand was burnt down and that peaked  my interest. Shortly after I started going to Telford Street Park with my next door neigbour and once I ended up  in the stand with him and thought that was the absolute bees knees which  further instilled in me the growing feeling that being around Caley was great.

Moved on to England and once visited Wolverhamptom Wanderers when I was  in the RAF nearby--not a memmorable game but the atmosphere felt good to me. Although I subsequently stayed in London for a year I don't think I ever went to a game.

This was followed by another move to Leven and Methil for work and I started to follow East Fife where I saw some real rollicking games and all this did my interest in football no harm at all. A promotioon to Edinburgh  and I moved in to a house on East Restalrig Terrace in Leith which was just down the road from Easter Road and the Hibs. This was a different class of footie  and I followed Hibs religiously for 6 enjoyable years. I remember they slaughtered Kaiserslautern 4 -O one evening and Turnbull (I think ) hit an absolute 40 yard humdinger that had the goalie absolutely rooted to the spot. What a shot and a goal! I will never forget that one.

Subsequently another move to Blantyre in Lanarkshire  enabled me to go and see a Rangers versus Celtic match at Ibrox which was poor  and that did nothing to cement any possible affinity to any of the Old Firm teams.

My mnove to Canada came shortly afterwards and the only game in town  around that time and for the next few years was the Vancouver Whitecaps who were sweepinmg all before them in the North American Lweeague . But inevitably they went downhiull and the new Whitecaps neither had the location, the money nor the players to make it worth my while travelling half way across the city to Swangard Staium in Burnaby to watch them regularly.

About 4 years ago I stumbled across this site since I always had that lingering  "I wonder what Caley are doing now" feeling and I found them here on the net.  An article that mantis had written  took my eye and I contacted him for more information about what was going on in Inverness.Then he  told me about the merger and so on and I was stunned. The rest is history ....so you have him entirely to blame for the Scarlet Pimple being foisted on you all.

But thanks, Mantis, you have increased the enjoyment of my life no end my friend.  :002: :sillywave:

Cheers from canada.

Guest birdog

I was a supporter of Sellick until I attended a match the weekend after a cousin of mine was injured in Ulster. The so-called fans were chanting 7-0 in reference to my cousins dead collegues and some wee ***** rattled a tin in my face asking for "money for the cause" never set foot in the piggery since and never will.

Out of intrest....why was it you started watching ICT and what is it you like about it?

Good question SMEE, Two things got me watching ICT, the first was word was beginning to spread down south of the teams exploits, it got me watching for the ICT result. the second that actually got me watching Caley was visiting Inverness gave me the opportunity to watch, so i have a interest in not just the team but the area as a whole.

What i like about it? well Caley have quite a few things in common with Bristol Rovers, examples: limited finance, underdog status, unfinished ground, friendly atmosphere, Blue on the shirts, feels safe taking my kids to watch, local players, both clubs have a bridge(prominent bridge) and a castle(what's left of Bristol castle) Bristol Rovers players are and have generally been very good for mixing with the fans example coming into club house after the match to talk to the fans, if you happen to meet any of them outside of football they have always got time for you, i have found the same with the Caley lads.

When ICT was forming I found myself being really interested in what was going on there, so ICT are the only team I've followed or felt I cared about (and I really care, it's awful!).

Sadly family and friends are close followers of Dunfermline Athletic (booo) so I've no option but to hear what's going on with them....I pretend to be interested!   :014:

Guest slovak

Born sunny saltcoats, so killie was my local team growing up, trying to stop my father turnin me to a gers fan. I had my way , but then was uprooted to inverness just as ict were formed, and made sense me bein the only killie fan in my family and no one prepared to take me 200miles to games to support the wee third division team Inverness.

After ten years of attendin every home game apart from 2 friendlies i had  a emptiness in my heart, a lack of faith so to speak wit the regime, which i stated would end in tears, and it wasnt easy but i went to the place i knew best, 'home' to killie, but much time on from that day now, a spark has been reopened in my support for ict which truely never died and witnessed a few games by clacher he will state it is there and this passion will be again on saturday versus hibernian fc.

'and no, i didnt write the script for that film 300'  :014:

Many years on and an older mature figure of a man with responsibilities stands before you, one void of thirst for a typecast persona on sum messageboard but with a real hunger  for life as its meant to be lived.

Not moaned to death at  :32:

howdy

i started *ahem* supporting *ahem* ICT after i dandered on to this website and folk randomly started inviting me to their social evenings.......

i also like Sheffield Wednesday. :)

Buffy x