FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dean McDonald to Toronto

Scotty

Dean McDonald is currently with Toronto FC in their training camp and may feature in one or more of these upcoming games ....

San Antonio Pro-Soccer Festival (Texas)

Wednesday, March 5th vs. Chivas USA @ 6:00 PM

Friday, March 7th vs. D.C. United @ 6:00 PM

Sunday, March 9th vs. Houston Dynamo @ 3:15 PM

Carolina Challenge Cup (South Carolina)

Saturday, March 15th vs. San Jose Earthquakes @ 6:00 PM

Wednesday, March 19th vs. New York Red Bulls @ 6:00 PM

Saturday, March 22nd vs. Charleston Battery @ 6:00 PM

He is one of several trialists so there is no guarantee of a contract offer but here's hoping he does well. I posted the "rumour" a little while back on some of the TFC message boards and - like us - fans seemed impressed with his youtube clips but underwhelmed by his height. Would be interesting to have some connection between TFC and ICT other than just myself and Luvgravy !!!

The rumour now seems to have been confirmed in this article and even though the reporter didnt get his name right I wouldnt read much into it .... http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobso...f_change/ 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC#Ch...2008_MLS_season

Yeah so it seems - although most TFC fans think its unrealistic ! Toronto play on "field turf" (astroturf) so that would do Wallace's dodgy knees no good, and both players might command a salary that TFC simply would not be prepared to pay.

The MLS squad system is very complicated and has rules for how many of each type of player you can have. It also operates a salary cap and your entire squad has to come in at under a certain amount of wages. If you have a player on a higher salary then it means less to go round the others unless you use a "designated player" spot like LA did for Beckham where only a portion of their wages count towards the salary cap. Cant see TFC using that coveted designation for Wallace or Miller.

- somewhat of an explanation here - http://www.torontofans.ca/articles/read/4 and here http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?sec...ontent=overview

I eventually found a match report for last night and Deano didnt feature but Toronto's 3 goals in a 4-3 defeat to the current MLS champs came from other trialists - Kiki Musampa, Martin Brittain (pen) and Tony Vairelles.

quality, could we swap him for danny dichio?

why??

because the danny dichio chant is awesome  :021: :021: i saw it on youtube, go to toronto fc ultras then danny dichio  :004:

lol - Both DD chants are great and one of them gets sung "officially" in the 24th minute of each game (as well as several other times) to commemorate the fact that he scored the first ever goal for the club in the 24th minute of the second home game

This is my favourite video of the goal as it shows the pandemonium in the stands .... the place went mental !!!! TFC gave out commemorative "seat covers" as you entered the ground that day .... they are now rare things as most ended up on the pitch !!! .... http://youtube.com/watch?v=XQvz01OKrsA&feature=related

Here's the favoured chant

and here's a recording I made of it from my "seat" in the south stand.

[attach=1]

MOV00048.avi

He's crap Scotty, wouldnt expect him to get get offered a deal.

How can you inform an opinion on a player who was never given a chance? He was maybe given 30 minutes on the pitch as an ICT player and you are saying he is crap  :018:

How can you inform an opinion on a player who was never given a chance? He was maybe given 30 minutes on the pitch as an ICT player and you are saying he is crap  :018:

He's attempted a career elsewhere pre ICT, I'm basing my opinion on what Gills fans have said and their reaction to him leaving.  What little I've seen of him in the flesh has been embarrassing.

I said from the start he would be a dud in the SPL, Craig Brewster obviously agrees and neither of us want him at the club.  What do you base your opinion on that hes even worth a chance?

Guest TonyICT

we all loved deano when he was here its just a big shame that he never got a better chance!

he must have a bit of class about him as toronto are a decent side!

He's attempted a career elsewhere pre ICT, I'm basing my opinion on what Gills fans have said and their reaction to him leaving.  What little I've seen of him in the flesh has been embarrassing.

I said from the start he would be a dud in the SPL, Craig Brewster obviously agrees and neither of us want him at the club.  What do you base your opinion on that hes even worth a chance?

He may well not be up to scratch but I'd have preferred to see him get at least a game or 2 to have something to base an opinion on. Like you say Brewster obviously doesn't rate him and that's the opinion that really matters

Guest pachuco

Hi guys,

I am a fellow Canadian and a big supporter of Toronto FC.  I am just wondering if you guys had heard anything else on Dean coming to Toronto?  It seems as at one point he was on trial with us but I have not heard his name mentioned in any pre-season game report where as all our other trialist have been getting playing time. 

Hello from Canada and good luck in your season.

pachuco - I am a TFC season ticket holder too (section 113) and the one who broke the story on the U-Sector and RPB sites .... I am guessing he perhaps didnt impress in training camp as he has not featured in any games .... shame.

Guest pachuco

pachuco - I am a TFC season ticket holder too (section 113) and the one who broke the story on the U-Sector and RPB sites .... I am guessing he perhaps didnt impress in training camp as he has not featured in any games .... shame.

Yeah I would've thought that he would've got a shot at a preseason game if he was actually there.  Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.  Thanks!!

Dean has returned to the UK and I think he is spending some time in England, therefore he remains an ICT player.  He must have a good agent as he's at least winning some good trials.  I hope he gets sorted with something soon.  He scores for fun in the reserves.