FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dean Macdonald

BornCaley

Ive been noticing a few negative words being mentioned about Dean....has he really been given the chance to prove himself apart from the odd sub appearance and a pre season tour..

what do you say brothers & sisters...is he worth a chance?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me (and i sponsor his shirt) he doesn't want to be here. He's had three or four trials at other clubs in the season he's been with us, including in Canada, but hasn't made the grade with any of them. He's also been allowed time at home. I think if he showed any potential at all he would have gotten the chance, if only to justify the wages he gets.

I've seen him a fair bit in the reserves and although he knows where the goal is, he's far too easily pushed off the ball, maybe he needs lessons from Blackie on how to look after himself! Until he sorts that out, the SPL would be too tough for him IMO

Not sure why we brought Deano up here in all honesty.  He's not typical of the type of striker who succeeds in Scotland and was always going to struggle to make the team unless he was something really exceptional....and if he had been that we would never have got a sniff at him in the first place.

Like him and think he has some talent but he's not got the physical presence to make it in the SPL IMO.

I can only reserve judgement on the guy as i dont think he had a decent enough crack at the whip. I dont think he is the style of player CB would consider

I do though think he is a crackin player and should be kept on the books for a second season.

Gringo Jr...i m glad someone else agrees that Dean has the potential, so should get the chance in a 2nd season. I get the impression that CB isnt interested because Dean was a Charlie Christie signing

Getting back to Dean .... I havent seen him play other than in the youtube links we saw when he signed which made him look excellent. This opinion - based on video - is probably similar to many of us on here other than those who go to reserve games.

I believe he has done reasonably well in the reserves but he has now had two or three trials elsewhere and not seen anything come of them. In his Toronto FC trial he didnt even make the squad for any of the pre-season games and believe me when I say that TFC going into pre-season was definitely severely lacking in wide midfield and up front. Maybe the new manager had a plan or knew he was going to get certain players and this screwed things up for Dean but to not get any game time whatsoever seems to suggest that he didnt exactly set the heather on fire !

I wish him well, I would like to see him get a chance if he can prove he is worth it but think he may be cut loose .....

Guest gordon_p1

I often come on here and view the messages as i like reading others thoughts and opinions but this thread made me join as i just had to reply.

I often pick Deano up from the airport and reckon he uses taxi's more than anyone else in town and just by talking to him and also knowing someone quite connected to ICT i feel i can give an insight to things.

As someone stated Deano was signed by Charlie and during pre season he was an exciting prospect he was unfortunate to get injured at Peterhead but made a quick recovery to play a part against Rangers.  For whatever reason Brew doesn't like him as a player.  Dean lost his mother in September and although she was poorly he was on the bench on the day she died and drove back to London straight after the game.  Dean decided to come back to football the following Monday and wanted to get back involved more than ever but even at this sad time didn't get a chance.  He then continued to try and get back into the first team and featured in the reserves.  He even travelled from London straight to the Kilmarnock game away the day after his mothers funeral and was rewarded with a whopping 5 mins on the pitch.

Now, Gillingham requested for Dean to go back but after a short period Deano didn't feel it was a move he wanted to go ahead with as there was a new manager and practically a new team.  Yeovil also requested him for a trial but he was unable to feature in a match which didn't go down too well with Yeovil.  Then for Toronto, Dean flew out there and the very next day trained and pulled his hamstring.  This is why he didn't feature, but i have good knowledge that Toronto did in fact want to sign Dean but in order to do so he would need to be released from his current contract at ICT.  So bottom line is ICT are happy to pay for a player who now trains with the under 19's.

Oh and also i saw him in town with his young lady and they are expecting a baby.

So all in all it's been a bit of rollercoaster...from what i can gather Dean is keen to play for ICT and believes in his ability to do a good job for us and the players also believe he is being treated unfairly. 

I'd personally like to see him return for next season and feature but some how don't think this is going to happen not unless Charlie does get his old job back!!!

I'm not taking sides i just felt i could offer some insight because we don't always get to find out the truth.

Gordon - thanks for this one ..... there was nothing said about his Toronto trial over here as he was one of many on trial in the pre-season and from my own point of view, knowing who was available at the time in the first team it disappointed me that he didnt get a look in. your response goes a long way to explaining it.

I think most fans want him to do well, lets hope he can have a less traumatic 2008 season and maybe push his way into Brewster's plans.

Thanks for that Gordon...i also heard about the Gillingham & Yeovil trials, but not the Toronto one....interesting

Ive been dissapointed with ICT making a fuss with Dean when he signed and then nothing. And as for his size, i dont think that means anything...Archie Gemmel  or Nacho Novo anyone. I think Dean is suited to a attacking role from the midfield/wing, so his stature is suited to that type of role.

Anyway...i think we have talked about this to its end. There is obviously those who feel he should go and some who want ICT to give him the chance.

Peace out

• 1 month later...