FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Football Manager 2008

badger1

Hi all

New to the site. Having recently decided to get FM 2008, can anyone shed any light on what decent players/ Formations i can get for Caley? I haven't followed football for too long, so apologies for sounding like an idiot.

Badger

Edited by Yngwie
Inappropriate word use

Hi all

New to the site. Having recently decided to get FM 2008, can anyone shed any light on what decent players/ Formations i can get for Caley? I haven't followed football for too long, so apologies for sounding like an idiot.

Badger

Depends for a start whether you have downloaded the patch 8.0.2 for it from SI games website yet(advice strongly -few bugs). and if your running the 8.0.2 database or default database

(estimated sell fee)

But generally on default sell players like Dean Mcdonald (75k and 10-20% sell on fee) , Richie Hart (100k), Graham Bayne (100k) If your using updated 8.2 database sell Phil Maguire also (100k)

Terminate loans for Steven Watt and Zibi the Hibee to free up wages

fight tooth and nail to keep Black, Cowie, Niculae, Rory McAllister Offer all contract extensions but likelyhood Niculae wont sign one so offload him after 1st season if you want some decent dosh(ie real life). Cowie is a player along with Black who become very good and can be Scotland regulars. Black and Rory will in a few years get itchy feet and want a move. I got ?1m plus for Rory and ?1.6m for Black when they kept clammering for moves. Keep Duncan, Fraser, Tokely and Munro. Prob Hastings too. Wyness can get you around 100k in market if you so wish extra dosh. If you have update get 75k for Imrie

Youth players Dale Gillespie and Iain Vigurs (possibly shane Sutherland) and Gary Wood all worth keeping a hold off and weaning into the team as all become fairly decent. (you'll get interest but its worth not taking the money and running initially as you'll get tons more later) Vigurs is ready to play in 1st team in the 8.0.2 updated database.

Players to go for. Ive always found Neil MacGregor of Clyde a decent 180k buy especially on the right of a back 3.

Tommy Hoiland develops into a good player but can be tricky to get.

I love shoes Moshoe(just type shoes into search bar). Hes 38 but you can get him free on default database or 24k on update and is still fit for an old guy. Very creative. Dean Furman on loan from Rangers. Scott Cuthbert loan from Celtic - dont pay wages for either or fee,you should still get them.

Miki Roque after 1st season is a free from liverpool. Witschge is free at start but old. Marlet is abitious free at start.

I'll think of more if you need em. Just PM me

*note patch 8.0.2 fixes bugs which can ruin a game (i lost the fixture engine after a dream 2 seasons. Never had any domestic games) but gives you option of using the 8.0.2 database with all late and January deals 08(ie Imrie and Maguire) or the default so you can start as the team did last season 07. Just select when setting up game.

(oh eh central defender Oscar C Sanchez at 37 is a steal for 12k and lasts for years on DEFAULT database)

Hope I was of service

Well my best run was when i got to uefa cup group stages. I played a 3-5-2 of sorts. Flat back three with two wing backs running forward. 3 in midfield. with an att mid and forward in front. playing slightly defensive quick direct counter attacking game with a defence just shy of being described as deep. This worked well with MacGregor of Clyde until Hearts bullied me to sell him for 800k! Use Wing backs running forward with arrows up to midway in their half. Make sure they can cross!

Jonny Howson becomes an ace att mid who i got for 400k but sold for ?4.4m to Man City! It is dam near impossible keeping your players unless you start winning stuff. So push for as much as you can!

4-4-1-1 works well with the att mid running into box (ie arrow pointing up via right hold of mouse and drag)

4-2-2(wingers)-1 works ok as does the christmas tree of 4-3-2-1 with the "2" running straight out wide to either side (Motherwell deploy this alot in the game and can be a right annoyance - particularly with Darren Smith!

SMEE Posted Aug 3 2008, 04:07 PM

Am planning the new Championship Manager game when it comes out....pressuming it is due?

Championship Manager switched developers. SI games now make Footie Man and its way better in detail and accuracy!

Guest pompeyjags

i assume from this nobody else on here is doin the beta testing for football manager live???

going from players ive found there, look for eleazor rodgers, promise isaac and possibly a guy called hulk. cant mind what his full name is but he is listed as hulk in fml.

Not on 2008 yet but is something programmed in so ICT still can't beat the Dons. I constantly lose to them, many times to a last minute goal. Serious question. Is it just coincidence?

Chris Packthedefenceandmidfieldwithonelonestrikerupfront

(I'm not renowned for my silky football)

My gf hates the game already. lol. Still can't get tactics right

Be careful to keep the team compact and try to make them hard to beat. One up front can held this with a defensive mid who marks either their key striker or attacking mid and allows the rest of the defence to zonal mark. Set him to be defensive and not make forward runs (i've found black can be good at this but use Duncan as i want Ian to get forward)

try a 4-1-2(centre mids)-2 (wingers AMR/AML)-1. Or 4-3-2-1 like Motherwell.

Sometimes it just takes your highest offer to get a player not what they ask for. No doubt Marlet will sign for St Mirren. Done it to me in more than one game.

It can take a while to get the team winning. DO NOT change your tactics drastically from match to match as the team loses any momentum and struggles to gel.

Motherwell are generally my bogey team.

try Hjalmer Porrarinson...Norwegian player...did wonders up front for me once Niculaue & Rory for better & worse things

And if you can get them to the TCS, try Guilliherme ( Brazillian AMrlc) or Euziqeal Gray( AMLR)

• 1 month later...

How the blazes are you supposed to attract players to ICT? I was bored of being poor....so i had a wealthy investor invest money in ICT....(Football Manager Modifier v 2.25)

I have been trying to get players from the likes of gretna (who were relegated) and offered them 10 times their wage and they still wont come. Its frustrating!

On the upside.....i steered ICT to 7th spot finish, and had more points than Aberdeen in 6th place. That was before the injection of cash!

Niculae scored shedloads of goals for me, but was injured about 1/3 of the season.

Okee dokee jim bob fellow me lad, al give that a bash. despite my lil cheat, i wasnt intending on abusing it. Just wanted to sign some semi decent players. Maybe OF fringe players etc, so to try and keep the bonus of the cheat to a minimum

Cheers Mick

Ah...so the higher it is...the better. I thought i was putting them to tenth best reputation. What a prat i am!

did you get it sorted then?

nah its a points system, get more points for winning things etc! then your club rep goes up and players become more aware of your team

just dont cheat to much, soon becomes very boring