FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

going to inverness

Guest meself

hi there first time on this forum, I was heading over to Inverness from Ireland to meet a few new found friends but I was taking some of my family with me, they say a good way to find out what the people are really like check out a soccer forum u will get there views on most things directly or indirectly, just from what i have browsed over at the moment i feel i would need to keep me head down and not say to much, are there any areas of Inverness where a fella could be comfortable in speaking on day to day stuff and sports without feeling a need to rephrase or crunch words hope nobody finds this offensive just trying to check out for the family to have a good time maybe get a match in also

Why would you feel the need to keep your head down and not say much?

What was it you browsed over to come to that conclusion?

well i had a good read of the celtic ticket thread and there was a few posts there to make a person sit up and realise not is all plain sailing, also not having a go at u at least u asked the question but my query is still unanswered, we are who we are life deals us the cards some of us are lucky and others not so its only if we get a chance to get away from or ideas and ideals for a while that we may or may not see this is all they are and may be a barrier to full inclusion in society and i do think this is in the wrong thread sry about that

Edited by meself

Inverness is not big on the religious divide so you shouldn't have any problems there if that's your concern.

I'd say that many supporters of Scottish teams may have an affinity with one of the old firm as well and as you've seen in the Celtic ticket thread, in some cases it's not far below the surface.

But I'll stick my neck out and say that generally in Inverness it's not an issue.

thank u for ur replies ill take what u say on board as u say alot of the time its just below the surface it just depends on how much it takes to bring it out and on the post I have seen about CaleyThistle it is only about since 1994 so it dont happen over night and it would be great to see the lower clubs getting closer to the top im not an avid football watcher but it seems to me that all is starting to get tighter in the SPL alot of fellas could be going round with there heads hangin down in the next 5/6 yrs wondering where did it all go wrong

The fact of the matter is ICT are the result of an amalgamation of Caley and thistle and most of us had a "big" team whilst supporting our own Highland League team so you now have the unique case of an SPL club with fans who also closely follow the results of one half of the old firm.

As said already you wont get any bother in Inverness.

i dont see you getting that much bother......... i presume you have more sense than to turn up at the game wearing celtic tops scarfs etc??

most people i know in the town are pretty easy going and if your on a family holiday then chances are you will be left to yourself. its always good to see a few more people in the crowd and who knows we might manage to "catch" some of your young into caley fans :rotflmao:

seriously though im sure you will have a good time and i really wouldnt worry too much about having to keep your head down

I don't think I've ever been involved in any trouble in Inverness which has resulted from a problem between ICT fans and fans of other clubs, nor have I ever witnessed any as a result of any dispute/problem with religion or nationality.

The "problem" that you might be picking up from in the Celtic Ticket thread is one which is born out of the fact that Rangers/Celtic fans seem to make a habit of securing tickets in the home end when they come to Tulloch Caledonian Stadium. For the most part this wouldn't be a problem, but those same fans seem unable to respect the fact that they are sitting among the opposition support, and some have even demonstrated the attitude that they believe they are entitled to be there.

ICT fans are a pretty tame lot, they'll make a lot of noise about this problem, but your unlikely to see them get physical over it or causing a fight at the football.

The only trouble we tend to get with football seems to be visiting teams who like to have disagreements among themselves and I think I may even be right in saying that this has never got as far as the stadium and has only 3 or 4 times in 14 years caused a bit of a rumpess in the City Centre (and 2 of those occasions were not OF fans).

You might be able to accuse Inverness of many things, but being a hot spot for trouble of any kind isn't one of them. I know many people who like to visit Inverness and who would tell you that they feel safer walking the streets here at any time of day or night than they do anywhere else.

It's certainly not the kind of place where you would feel the need to keep your head down for any reason. Sure, if you were looking for trouble then you'd be able to find some, but you could safely walk into just about any bar in town as a "stranger" and not get any grief.

You'll not have any bother in Inverness mate. My folks are from Lanarkshire and didn't want me being brought up in an environment where it mattered what school you went to, so they moved to the Highlands before I was born and are still there today. Its a cracking place to live and bring up a family. Just look at the fine human being I turned out to be :rotflmao:

Billy Connolly once said that folk in the Highlands don't always appear to take to you straight away but once they do, you'll need an operation to get them off you.

Have a good time in Inverness and try and make it along to see a game.

Inverness is a really nice place and i am glad my kids are growing up here. No matter where you go there will aways be a few people who are hell bent on causing trouble. But genralyy you wont have a problem here !!!

P.S watch there a few nutters from this site that venture out at night but they are harmless !! :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

Probably not the best time to be reading this particular football forum for a first impression !!!!

On the whole, as most people have said, I believe you will not have a problem in Inverness. The town and the people, are, for the most part, friendly and welcoming, and the sectarian issues you might expect to encounter with a relatively small group of people had Glasgow been your destination, do not exist to the same extent up here. Unfortunately, we cant say they don't exist at all, but they are not as prevalent or ingrained as they can be in other places. An Irish accent will not be a barrier to communication with most folk, and will not automatically swerve the conversation to football and/or religion ... unless of course you are talking to a local who happens to support Celtic or Rangers.

The Celtic ticket thread you highlighted, as mentioned by CaleyD above is more about frustration at our own club and/or local Celtic/Rangers supporters who buy or acquire large numbers of tickets in the home sections for our games against them. It is something we have highlighted to the club on a number of occasions and frustrates the hell out of a lot of supporters hence the tone you detect. It is not the supporters themselves, but the fact that they are in the home end and the club cannot seem to prevent it. If you were able to make a game, and it happened to be against a team outwith the OF, then I very much doubt you would have any bother in the home section although I would agree with the suggestion not to wear the colours of another SPL team as that is asking for un-necessary attention. If it were for a game agains the OF, then I would respectfully suggest you try to obtain an away end ticket.

As I said at the top of this thread, today is probably not the best time to be reading this particular football forum for a first impression as it has become apparent that some of our younger supporters engaged in inappropriate behaviour on Saturday vis-a-vis some of the banners and chanting/singing that went on. However, as much as the actions were indefensible, I hope you can see that true supporters of Inverness Caledonian Thistle are deeply embarrassed, shocked, and offended, at the behaviour of this small group of "fans".

hi there first time on this forum, I was heading over to Inverness from Ireland to meet a few new found friends but I was taking some of my family with me, they say a good way to find out what the people are really like check out a soccer forum u will get there views on most things directly or indirectly, just from what i have browsed over at the moment i feel i would need to keep me head down and not say to much, are there any areas of Inverness where a fella could be comfortable in speaking on day to day stuff and sports without feeling a need to rephrase or crunch words hope nobody finds this offensive just trying to check out for the family to have a good time maybe get a match in also

Why dont you just ask your new found friends - Im sure they'l give you the low down on where to go and not to go.

To be shure - To be shure - only a thick Oirishman could be so feckin naieve or so feckin clever - I can see a movie at the end of meselfs visit to Inverness - just hope it aint Four friends and a funeral. What the **** is this garbage doing on the main site anyway.