51 members have voted

1. 1. Who plays up front?

• Rooney + Barrowman
    • Rooney + Wood
    • Rooney + Imrie
    • Rooney + Wilson
    • Rooney + Rory
    • None of the above

I've now seen Wood, Barrowman and even Imrie up front this season, and none of them impressed me hugely.

Rooney comes on and makes a difference in every game he plays in, last night saving a point for us and saving our blushes. He rarely starts a game, but is now our joint top-scorer. He shows good pace, finishing, positioning and ariel ability. He shows passion and has the ability to spark us to life. None of the aforementioned strikers have shown me this (apart from barrowman in the 1st game of the season) and yet they are chosen ahead of rooney every game.

How long is it going to be before he gets a prolonged run up front. He is clearly a talented boy that can score goals.

Barrowman and wood look lumbering and lacklustre most of the time (apart from some minor brief flashes). Adam provides at least some mobility, and looks for the ball whenever he can.

PLAY ROONEY AND WE ARE A MUCH MUCH BETTER TEAM.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to give a clear indication on which of our Strikers is "the best". Rooney has looked good because he has been brought on in games where Brewster has finally clicked late in the game that things aren't right and is making changes which can only improve the situation, or where we are already down a goal or two and chasing so all effort is being made to go forward and, as a result, he gets more service/action than the striker he has replaced who's had to suffer from the fact that up until then the tactics were "everyone behind the ball".

Woods did little last night, and it's not surprising as he got ZERO service due to the tactics employed in the first half. He was having to drop back into his own half to get the ball at times and was being ushered back to defend at set pieces and corners. How on earth can he be expected to do anything or show his true worth under those circumstances?

Until we settle on which striker/s we want to use up front and start setting up the team to give them more consistent service (some service would be a start) then I think that it's impossible and unfair to say who's likely to be most effective.

Rooney's performances so far, although welcome, only shine a little more than the others due to circumstances, and not because he is necessarily any better than the others.

Also agree with CD. Impossible to say what the best partnership is as these things take time to develop and whoever it turns out to be needs a run in the team playing together, understanding each others pros and cons, of course most of all they need service and it would be nice to see some width in the team giving them that service.

At the moment I think Rooney and Woods both have potential but I am still a little bit unsure on Barrowman, but then again if he was given a run of games it could make a difference.

Edited by stevico1

Rooney and Barrowman should be given a prolonged run up front. They looked eager and sharp last night. Barrowman won plenty of aerial balls and also made decent runs without getting the service and some neat flicks and interchanges. Rooney looks the most likely if we are only playing one up front.

Edited by themann4thejob
fekkin keyboard

Rooney's goal return says to me he must play. Even disregarding performance, goals win games and he's scoring them. Add to that he looks a larger threat than any of the other forwards.

I'd like to see Wilson play just of him playing away. Give him some creative element to feed of. Either that or Imrie's energy.

At home get Barrowman up there in a 2 man forward line.

The last time i saw Barrowman start was against Killie a month ago and he was really impressive. Gave their back four a torrid time and didnt just score but created a bit as well.

Combine that to Rooneys decent finishing and we have a fairly good striker force, what they lack in experience they make up for with energy and enthusiasm. If we were to get an experienced striker in January to increase competition that can only make them better players imo.

Rooney and Barrowman should be given a prolonged run up front. They looked eager and sharp last night. Barrowman won plenty of aerial balls and also made decent runs without getting the service and some neat flicks and interchanges. Rooney looks the most likely if we are only playing one up front.

Totally agree. I think Barrowman in particular is the type of player who needs to get a run of games under his belt to get the best out of him.

I know it's not actually the case but it almost seems that we start with a different forward(s) each week!! There seems to be too much tinkering going on with different tactics, formations and personnel being used. I know you have to approach each game differently but we seem to be going OTT.

I do think Barrowman and Rooney tried to link up the other night - but of the two Rooney seems to be the more natural stricker - he has played in the championship league - he has played against some of the Premiership players when he played for the Ireland under 21 against England and he has scored goals - but still needs someone with a bit more experience with him - at this moment we dont have that person in our team so maybe Brewster should give Barrowman and Rooney more games together.

Totally agree. I think Barrowman in particular is the type of player who needs to get a run of games under his belt to get the best out of him

Yes that is true but there is another factor, whoever is playing up front needs service or they will never perform as they should.

On Wed it was impossible to judge how well Wood played as he was so isolated, I think that there is a good chance he will be dropped on Sat but this is not down to him, Rooney and Barrowman did ok when they came on but that was due to the change in the system, if either of them has to play Woods role in the first half I dont think they would have done any better. Until we get the system right and give the lads up front some service none of them will perform as well as they could

Dont most of our strikers historically get off to notroiously slow starts before hitting true form? I feel that Rooney and Barrowboy are our best option, therefore, we have to persist with the two up fornt to allow them to gel and create an understanding. This chopping and changing is no use, thats what pre season is for!