Living In The Past?

Guest birdog

Guest birdog

Would have to go for...

Our best ever defender, Ian McArthur

Our best ever midfielder, Barry Wilson

and our best ever striker, Paul Ritchie

Aye, right!

this is what's wrong with ICT, from the board right down to the support!

Best ever...

Our best ever players are those that were...gee, let me guess...the best players, not those that were around during memorable times!

Thats why this clubs 'jobs for the boys' policy is so wrong, on both a football and financial front, just because these guys were around at times of joy doesnt make them the best guys to move the club forward. I hate this opinion in football that prospective players and management should be chosen from previous 'heroes', CC, BW, JR etc etc etc, do you see these guys in demand at other clubs...no...and why i might add...because they are deemed not good enough...this is where we are so so so wrong!

Our best ever players are those who showed that they were better than ICT...Cowie, Black, Brew, Robson etc.

And for that matter, when the managerial job does come up, shouldnt we be competing to recruit the in-demand, talented guys, or will the usual happen on this site and we should ask for JR, CC or BW to be appointed, the guys nobody else would touch with a bargepole!!!!!!!

I thought this was just a nostalgia thread? Why don't you take the negativity to the disillusioned thread or one of a similar mood? There's no need to have all the threads making us feel down, feel free to carry on bringing the mood down, that is your choice, but be ready for CaleyD to jump on you for his inbox filling up with complaints about the mood of the forum.

Fair point. Duly noted. Apologies.

I just really worry for ICT at times, I look at other clubs and feel that we are very much in the dark ages....not just reliving old glories...which is fine...but assuming we will return to them if we 'stick by' our so-called heroes.

I was merely pointing out, in relation to this thread, that our greatest ever players should surely be the best players that have hallowed the turf, not the favourites!

Sorry if i have depressed anyone....but out of interest....does anyone agree with me?

I thought I'd start a new topic away from the place this was originally posted, it's a good subject to discuss after all.

My thoughts are that everyone lives on past glories, who wants to remember the bad times?

The way humans operate is that they go for whatever was successful the last time when making decisions, if you go fishing once and catch no fish at that spot you will find another where you are successful and continue using it until it's no longer successful, it's a survival mechanism. It is only natural but you are right it is probably better to look elsewhere, the only drawback is the unknown factor (Barrowman for example)

EDITED because I can't spell worth a feck :D

Edited by birdog

No (serious) offence to the guys in senior positions at the club, but the best clubs in the world shop around for staff at all levels, Managers, Directors (Peter Kenyon) and Players. Staff they feel have excelled at other clubs so have developed experience and expertise that can influence the development of their club. We dont seem to be as procative. maybe this is down to finance - cheaper to employ 'local heroes' who have an affiliation to the club.

Guest birdog

It's difficult to live on the future.

Jethro Tull.

Moderators my @rse

:33: :party01: :offtopic01: :rules03: :tongue04:

Edit- Just to save confusion this was a light hearted reply to a light hearted post.

Edited by birdog

Guest birdog

If there is a problem birdog, please report it through the proper channel, and try and keep on topic.

No problem sir, I was just erm...see you later. :party01:

No (serious) offence to the guys in senior positions at the club, but the best clubs in the world shop around for staff at all levels, Managers, Directors (Peter Kenyon) and Players. Staff they feel have excelled at other clubs so have developed experience and expertise that can influence the development of their club. We dont seem to be as procative. maybe this is down to finance - cheaper to employ 'local heroes' who have an affiliation to the club.

Indeed .... didnt Dunfermline just appoint that chap McDougall who used to be chairman at Cowdenbeath as one of their new directors ........