FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Booing

Guest WynessLegend

I dont have much of a problem with swearing , kids hear as much in the playground

What annoys me is the so called fans who whinge & moan about their own team

What results do they expect with so much negativity :angry:

Did you do anything to create some positivity? If not then you are as much to blame.

As for the swearing, deserves it's own topic really, I was listening to Off the ball on the way home and a couple of callers mentioned that the poor state of our national side could have a lot to do with the lack of kids using parks to kick a ball about. Could this be because so many parents are wrapping their kids up in cotton wool and not letting them leave the house in case they hear the odd bad word? Get a grip people, the raised emotions that are part and parcel of football lead to the odd sweary word coming out. Complaints about no atmosphere, complaints when we have atmosphere. At least we don't have our kids listening to hate filled bigoted bile at TCS.

I think you summed it up there by saying "the odd sweary word"... i think any reasonable person expects to hear a few sweary words in most walks of life most certainly including football... i think it is totally unreasonable however to expose children to an environment where every 2nd word they hear is a swear of some sort... i certainly dont hear any of my friends swearing in front of their kids in that manner... maybe thats the way i have been brought up and the friends i choose to keep... but i would like to think that I am fairly normal... so why should going to a football game be any different... we had season tickets last year also in the north stand but in a different section and there was never an issue,,,

Maybe its a sad reflection of society in general that most people nowadays have such a limited vocabulary that they have to resort to foul language to express themselves... i can also see that most fellow ICT fans find it acceptable, so maybe im wrong... but it is certainly putting me off and so i thought i would have a rant on here!!!

PS - You also mentioned: At least we don't have our kids listening to hate filled bigoted bile at TCS. - what was being shouted at one of our own players today by a few mindless numpties was a disgrace and could have been deemed an offence under the law

To address the PS first, I never heard anything of that nature and couldn't comment. Would you like to expand?

As for what you describe as a sad reflection on our society about limited vocabulary when I first started to attend football matches violence, drunkenness, hatred, bigotry, urinating in terracing, broken glass, pickpocketing and all sorts of other unsavoury practices were common place. I believe that we should consider ourselves lucky that our game has progressed to the stage where a bit of colourful language is the worst we can expect at TCS. These words can be heard almost anywhere, like said before probably most prevalent on school playing fields or play parks I probably would not have taken my kids to a football match before they were in their teens if this was still the 1980s I consider myself lucky that I can take them now.

Put brilliantly Birdog. Personally i would have prefered to still have the football the way it used to be. Then it was how football really should have been. I think all this about the swearing is just another case of overprotection by parents.

Also, Bigoted? I see you havnt been out of the TCS much in your life? Do you know what Bigot means?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest birdog

must be the fresh air, but Birdog, I agree with what you have just said... I'll always remember the smell of pot that would come from the stands some days on the Highland leauge.. this was in the 80's, now there isnt even a wiff of ciggy smoke.. Whats the chances of getting a smoking area going, 105 mins today between smokes..... I was gagging!

I use snuff at matches now, not as relaxing as a nice long draw on a ciggie but it takes the cravings away.

I dont have much of a problem with swearing , kids hear as much in the playground

What annoys me is the so called fans who whinge & moan about their own team

What results do they expect with so much negativity :angry:

Did you do anything to create some positivity? If not then you are as much to blame.

As for the swearing, deserves it's own topic really, I was listening to Off the ball on the way home and a couple of callers mentioned that the poor state of our national side could have a lot to do with the lack of kids using parks to kick a ball about. Could this be because so many parents are wrapping their kids up in cotton wool and not letting them leave the house in case they hear the odd bad word? Get a grip people, the raised emotions that are part and parcel of football lead to the odd sweary word coming out. Complaints about no atmosphere, complaints when we have atmosphere. At least we don't have our kids listening to hate filled bigoted bile at TCS.

I think you summed it up there by saying "the odd sweary word"... i think any reasonable person expects to hear a few sweary words in most walks of life most certainly including football... i think it is totally unreasonable however to expose children to an environment where every 2nd word they hear is a swear of some sort... i certainly dont hear any of my friends swearing in front of their kids in that manner... maybe thats the way i have been brought up and the friends i choose to keep... but i would like to think that I am fairly normal... so why should going to a football game be any different... we had season tickets last year also in the north stand but in a different section and there was never an issue,,,

Maybe its a sad reflection of society in general that most people nowadays have such a limited vocabulary that they have to resort to foul language to express themselves... i can also see that most fellow ICT fans find it acceptable, so maybe im wrong... but it is certainly putting me off and so i thought i would have a rant on here!!!

PS - You also mentioned: At least we don't have our kids listening to hate filled bigoted bile at TCS. - what was being shouted at one of our own players today by a few mindless numpties was a disgrace and could have been deemed an offence under the law

To address the PS first, I never heard anything of that nature and couldn't comment. Would you like to expand?

As for what you describe as a sad reflection on our society about limited vocabulary when I first started to attend football matches violence, drunkenness, hatred, bigotry, urinating in terracing, broken glass, pickpocketing and all sorts of other unsavoury practices were common place. I believe that we should consider ourselves lucky that our game has progressed to the stage where a bit of colourful language is the worst we can expect at TCS. These words can be heard almost anywhere, like said before probably most prevalent on school playing fields or play parks I probably would not have taken my kids to a football match before they were in their teens if this was still the 1980s I consider myself lucky that I can take them now.

Put brilliantly Birdog. Personally i would have prefered to still have the football the way it used to be. Then it was how football really should have been. I think all this about the swearing is just another case of overprotection by parents.

Also, Bigoted? I see you havnt been out of the TCS much in your life? Do you know what Bigot means?

I take it you are referring to Birdog's post as I didnt once refer to what was shouted at Kyle as Bigoted... i was referring to it as hate filled bile :)

must be the fresh air, but Birdog, I agree with what you have just said... I'll always remember the smell of pot that would come from the stands some days on the Highland leauge.. this was in the 80's, now there isnt even a wiff of ciggy smoke.. Whats the chances of getting a smoking area going, 105 mins today between smokes..... I was gagging!

I use snuff at matches now, not as relaxing as a nice long draw on a ciggie but it takes the cravings away.

I have to go for a smoke now!!! I was thinking patches, that way I could have put them over my eyes and protected them from CaleyD's shirt.. and fought off my cravings..

Guest birdog

:angry: :) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I was a regular in the Jungle from 85-89 I have been spat on and had missiles thrown at me after old firm matches and others, I have probably forgotten more rebel songs than you know, but I grew up. Ask your mate who is a neighbour of mine, I passed on a good few old programmes to him when he was a wee bhoy.

EDIT- Your comment about not being out of the TCS much has me a wee bit miffed, I have been to stadia all over Europe, all over England and probably 70% of grounds in the Scottish senior leagues. I would even say that I have been to Celtic park more than you have been to the TCS. You really should think about what you post. I was a wild wee **** when I was younger and an incident in my life made me realise just how narrowminded the fans of certain teams really are. That is why I hate bigotry, I have seen the error of my ways and believe me people who hold these views too strongly end up dead or in the nick. I am just passing on advice which I wish I had followed at one time, perhaps I wouldn't have as many scars or regrets if I did.

Edited by birdog

:angry: :) :rotflmao: Did you see the guy that came in with a fag in his mouth? He walked right past the steward who was beside the No smoking sign :rotflmao::rotflmao::lol:

Ah thats better, I love seeing people smoke beside No Smoking signs and that Park under No Parking signs, I saw an old man roll a fag from the middle of the section to the bottom in one hand and spark it up just an the gate in the ground in a really defiant way... good man,

N.B

Kids dont smoke, its bad for you and stuff!! dont start!

I have to whole-heartedly agree with this thread. Booing a team off the pitch when you are there to support them is f*cking ludicrous.

If you want to show up to a football match on a Saturday to vent then f*ck off to the other side of the bridge or sit in the away end because you are NOT contributing positively to ICT at all.

We can win the league this season but we are never going to win every game and it is going to be very hard going - if you can't handle disappointment without expelling the sound of a dying cow then football spectatorship is not the hobby for you.

The role of the supporters is to back and encourage their team's players not to try and break their spirits when a result doesn't go their way. This booing coupled with that ****** at half time who urged Butcher to "get his finger out" when we had a very promising first half are prime examples of what is wrong with football - the kind of attitudes which are native to Ibrox.

GET BEHIND THE F*CKING TEAM OR STAY AT HOME.

As Ive said..If you felt the boo's were not to your taste then you should have tryed to Cancel it out but cheering and clapping, everyone has a right to an opinion and paid there ticket to have the right to do so however you like, I however am in neather camps on this one, some good football some not so good football, I clapped boo'd and said a couple of bad words too, I did however give a wee lad infront of my my program and old scarf.. so i left on an even keel...

Guest birdog

the kind of attitudes which are native to Ibrox.

:angry:

Today at TCS we kicked off our first home match back in division 1.

Today at Ibrox they unfurled the Championship flag, kind of blows your argument out of the water?

Guest birdog

As Ive said..If you felt the boo's were not to your taste then you should have tryed to Cancel it out but cheering and clapping, everyone has a right to an opinion and paid there ticket to have the right to do so however you like, I however am in neather camps on this one, some good football some not so good football, I clapped boo'd and said a couple of bad words too, I did however give a wee lad infront of my my program and old scarf.. so i left on an even keel...

Sounds like the traditional football supporter to me.

:angry:

Today at Ibrox they unfurled the Championship flag, kind of blows your argument out of the water?

Em no it doesn't. I am referring to the attitude that we should walk EVERY single game we play. It is a common Hun trait that any disappointment in their team's outings ends in either an out-break of violence or a call for the head of the manager.

I am hinting that if we assume we are going to win every single game we play then we are no better than them and hold a similar attitude to the blue-filth-faithful.

And George I don't give a sh*t if you didn't enjoy the game or the result, it is just common courtesy to not boo your team off the pitch. You don't have to clap (which by the way I did - thank you for the suggestion) but booing your own team is a form of negativity which helps nobody but the nine other teams in the league.

:)

Just like some clubs in the SPL, 1st, 2nd & 3rd division

Out the water :angry: At the end of the day Rangers are a bigger and better club than ICT no matter what.

Guest birdog

:024:

Em no it doesn't. I am referring to the attitude that we should walk EVERY single game we play. It is a common Hun trait that any disappointment in their team's outings ends in either an out-break of violence or a call for the head of the manager.

I am hinting that if we assume we are going to win every single game we play then we are no better than them and hold a similar attitude to the blue-filth-faithful.

And George I don't give a sh*t if you didn't enjoy the game or the result, it is just common courtesy to not boo your team off the pitch. You don't have to clap (which by the way I did - thank you for the suggestion) but booing your own team is a form of negativity which helps nobody but the nine other teams in the league.

:024:

Just like some clubs in the SPL, 1st, 2nd & 3rd division

Out the water :( At the end of the day Rangers are a bigger and better club than ICT no matter what.

I certainly don't think we should win every game nor did I boo once today but I did watch our manager shout at our team at times, I saw anger in his face. If the man who is in charge of our team is angry and expecting more should our fans not be entitled to the same emotions? Most of us have followed the team for years invested time, money and emotion into the club and all I am hearing from a lot on here is that we should be putting that aside and cheering poor play and lack of effort. I am well aware that Ayr shut the game down very well but TB has said he knows this will happen, it is up to him to figure out how to counter this and up to the players to follow his plan. Surely we are entitled to voice our opinions? I did not think there was anything worthy of booing today, others did, I respect that.

Some of the people on here have a strange view on football and supporters and how we should conduct ourselves. Courtesy? First time I have heard that word used in conjunction with football fans! Perhaps some people would be better going to the thread on catering and asking for prawn sandwiches.

If people dont like the booing and think it is not deserved then stand up and clap and cheer.. theres a positive move... If your not happy with anything and feel the need to boo then boo you have your opinion, If you dont think thats a sutable thing to do then do the positive thing and cheer and clap Fire and Ice affect... sorted..... I wasnt happy with the folk walking out with 10 mins to go, some were booed for that..............I booed quit alot due to the decisions made but the yellow shirts... Am I a bad person, I swore a couple of times at the Decisions am i a bad person?

yes, a very bad person.

no, i am a traditional enough fan, if you don't want to hear bad language then don't pay ?15 to sit in a crowd where you are 100% likely to encounter just that.

i did not boo at the end of the game, just left silently. i'll be at dundee, with any luck i'll be at all of the games this year, i hope never to have to see a performance bad enough to boo, and plenty to cheer on.

Edited by tokelyisvictorious

Guest birdog

I would like to apologise for, but not retract, any posts which might offend on here. I am frustrated at what the sport I love has become. At one time football was where working men used to get two hours of escape from the tribulations of real life, it was where we could go to get a bit of banter, meet our mates after having a pint or six and vent the steam of a week's hard graft, where we would leave either refreshed from getting rid of all the frustration or delighted that the team we love has put a piece of pig skin into some knotted rope one or more times than the other guys. Now it has, like everything else, been taken over by do-gooding sweety rustling, sandwich munching toffs who are more worried about the queues for a nice cup of tea than they are the level of commitment on the pitch. It's okay to moan about refreshments but not the product you actually pay for? I will keep going but the beautiful game has died, killed by those alien to what it was, invading with their new ideas and their knitting needles, I thought football died at the merger (maybe that was the start) but it seems to me that the SPL and the new blood it brought to our ground was the final nail in it's coffin. RIP.

I would like to apologise for, but not retract, any posts which might offend on here. I am frustrated at what the sport I love has become. At one time football was where working men used to get two hours of escape from the tribulations of real life, it was where we could go to get a bit of banter, meet our mates after having a pint or six and vent the steam of a week's hard graft, where we would leave either refreshed from getting rid of all the frustration or delighted that the team we love has put a piece of pig skin into some knotted rope one or more times than the other guys. Now it has, like everything else, been taken over by do-gooding sweety rustling, sandwich munching toffs who are more worried about the queues for a nice cup of tea than they are the level of commitment on the pitch. It's okay to moan about refreshments but not the product you actually pay for? I will keep going but the beautiful game has died, killed by those alien to what it was, invading with their new ideas and their knitting needles, I thought football died at the merger (maybe that was the start) but it seems to me that the SPL and the new blood it brought to our ground was the final nail in it's coffin. RIP.

Your a man from my own heart(In this subject). I was going to say about football being a working class game but i thought some might take offence. BRING BACK THE OLD DAYS! Terracing, Smoking(i dont smoke), Drink(I dont drink....Much), the swearing has never gone, bring back the Rivalry! Ok, many wont agree, but i belive the rivalry back in the old days was far more intense and it was better! Yes, im only 15 and i shouldnt really comment on all this as i didnt get the chance to live threw it but i know for a fact, thats how i want football to be. All this new pish takes some of the best bits out of the football.

Brilliant post birdog , probably the best post I've ever read on these boards . The middle classes have killed the beautiful game without a doubt , imagine going to a game and hearing " sweary words " :(

"Brilliant post birdog , probably the best post I've ever read on these boards . The middle classes have killed the beautiful game without a doubt , imagine going to a game and hearing " sweary words "

Britains class structure (if you believe we still have one?) has changed hugely in my lifetime, nearly everyone is middle class now.. So is it any wonder things have changed?. Thatcher wiped out the working class..

We are also talking about Inverness here, which has always been a middlle class kind of place.

I would say that without middle class punters you would not have a football club... there are not enough working class fans left..

Edited by kiltarlity

If people dont like the booing and think it is not deserved then stand up and clap and cheer.. theres a positive move... If your not happy with anything and feel the need to boo then boo you have your opinion, If you dont think thats a sutable thing to do then do the positive thing and cheer and clap Fire and Ice affect... sorted..... I wasnt happy with the folk walking out with 10 mins to go, some were booed for that..............I booed quit alot due to the decisions made but the yellow shirts... Am I a bad person, I swore a couple of times at the Decisions am i a bad person?

yes, a very bad person.

no, i am a traditional enough fan, if you don't want to hear bad language then don't pay ?15 to sit in a crowd where you are 100% likely to encounter just that.

i did not boo at the end of the game, just left silently. i'll be at dundee, with any luck i'll be at all of the games this year, i hope never to have to see a performance bad enough to boo, and plenty to cheer on.

Im lost, so in your opinions im a bad person, because of what? I bood the bad desisions the ref made, I said the off Funk Sake when the ball was fluffed and enjoyed my day sining the songs sung, I think you'll find at the start of the game when the teams came out it was the Section G that I saw getting a clap from the odd player Granty seemed to love the songs and when warming up players were running about in front to the sections they gave the odd thumbs up and wave to the area.. Im got to take a punt vision and say you sit in the main stand?

GET BEHIND THE F*CKING TEAM OR STAY AT HOME.

GET BEHIND YOUR FELLOW FANS OR GO WATCH HIGHLAND RFC

what make it that we are not behind the team if we boo, lets wrap them in cotten and always be nice to there preformance regarless, we will ive in a pink and fluffy 3 div in 2 years, fans are there to let the players know how well or not so well they are playing.. if they are doing awsome the fans are lifted and in the same breath so are the players... I read that some fans thought that R Foran was getting the **** on because the fans were not to happy, I think you will find he had the **** on because the Ayr United back line kept springing the off side due to the to long, to quick balls being played and the yellow shirts were being abit harsh.. so As with the fans, Foran was getting pissed with the standard and quality of the ball being played and the desicions going against him... lets give R Foran a hard time for being negitive....

" nearly everyone is middle class now " , do you really believe that ? If you do i can easily take you on a quick tour of Inverness and show you real poverty .

I think as a cab driver I know Inverness better than most, yes there are areas of Inverness that are poor, but as a percentage of the whole city.. it's only a small part. What % of houses in Dalneigh/Hilton for instance are still council owned??