FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scotland

Council Juice

Nah, half of the team retired before Vogts came in. I think only Dailly, Weir and Ferguson come to mind as main stays of the team by the time he came in.

As I recall (i think), Craig Burley and Hendry were 2 of several to retire. Then the likes of Lambert and Don Hutchison were coming to the end of their international careers. As was Billy Dodds.

Vogts really had to go scouring to find players. And alot of absolute pap he did find (Robbie Stockdale anyone?)

I distinctly remember there was a point when Stevie Crawford got injured and the nation was in a panic such was out bereftment of strikers.

By the time Vogts left Gordon, McFadden, Miller and Darren Fletcher were all regulars and still are today.

McLeish left the nation on a high despite our final hurdle failure many were optimistic that the team had many promising elements. We had a strong core and a decent reserve, as well as a few promising younger players ready to step up.

Burley did not have alot to do in terms of squad alteration when he came in. He didnt have to lift moral. It was at a 10 year high (like our world ranking being at an all time high). But he did tinker and I think it didnt help moral.

Moral has dropped through poor form, stroppy players and press involvement.

I fail to see what improvement Burley has made to the previous regime. He's improved his own regime but thats not saying much.

But the real problem for Scotland is the lack of top quality young players coming through. Extend the school day by 2 hours and devote it to football is my answer. Training for an hour in the morning and a game in the afternoon. It's about time the education system got its priorities right.

I like this idea. Not every kid is into football mind. Some like other sports. Some hate sports altogether (though I do think exercise is a must - healthy body healthy mind etc)

A national centre of excellence perhaps. A multi million state of the art complex right in the middle of the country. For all sports(well except darts and other pub games perhaps). Think Austrailia, think clair fontaine in France

If the Scottish government can spend upwards of ?100m on that hideous building at Hollyrood they can do the same for our sporting heritage.

In fact take it a step further. Have it as a academy of sorts. Adopt an american philosophy in which grades are important (in case they dont make it, injuries etc) The kids get schooling and the best coaching. The poorer children getting scolarships if they have ability in a sporting field. Then when the kids are 17 the clubs can come along and draft them for a fixed prepaid fee. Have a random draft draw like the MLS. So say randomly ICT get 1st pick and so on. All contracts would be the same unless a buying club bought out the contract from the drafting team or something along those lines (with a further percentage of that transfer fee going to the academy)

Then put me in charge (my idea after all) and pay me a ridiculous sum of money for being the face of the operation.

But the real problem for Scotland is the lack of top quality young players coming through. Extend the school day by 2 hours and devote it to football is my answer. Training for an hour in the morning and a game in the afternoon. It's about time the education system got its priorities right.

I like this idea. Not every kid is into football mind. Some like other sports. Some hate sports altogether (though I do think exercise is a must - healthy body healthy mind etc)

A national centre of excellence perhaps. A multi million state of the art complex right in the middle of the country. For all sports(well except darts and other pub games perhaps). Think Austrailia, think clair fontaine in France

If the Scottish government can spend upwards of ?100m on that hideous building at Hollyrood they can do the same for our sporting heritage.

In fact take it a step further. Have it as a academy of sorts. Adopt an american philosophy in which grades are important (in case they dont make it, injuries etc) The kids get schooling and the best coaching. The poorer children getting scolarships if they have ability in a sporting field. Then when the kids are 17 the clubs can come along and draft them for a fixed prepaid fee. Have a random draft draw like the MLS. So say randomly ICT get 1st pick and so on. All contracts would be the same unless a buying club bought out the contract from the drafting team or something along those lines (with a further percentage of that transfer fee going to the academy)

Then put me in charge (my idea after all) and pay me a ridiculous sum of money for being the face of the operation.

Start it up then lad, the world's your oyster. :cute01:

hmmmm.....well all the players in scotland must be shockingly bad then considering an average centre back won 2 player of the year awards last season.

Odd logic but yes. There are a lot of avergae - rubbish players in the SPL just now. Caldwell is nowhere near as good as Celtic fans, and also Caldwell himself, think he is.

hmmmm.....well all the players in scotland must be shockingly bad then considering an average centre back won 2 player of the year awards last season.

Odd logic but yes. There are a lot of avergae - rubbish players in the SPL just now. Caldwell is nowhere near as good as Celtic fans, and also Caldwell himself, think he is.

Belive me, most Celtic fans hate him. Most of them are arseholes who think Scott Brown should be the first player replaced in the Celtic team which is utter *****. But still, we need to progress on the baisis of replacing weaker players first. G. Caldwell is still one of the better players in the Scotland team. We need to pick a team that has ALL out best players (That does not include the traitor Boyd)

Belive me, most Celtic fans hate him. Most of them are arseholes who think Scott Brown should be the first player replaced in the Celtic team which is utter *****. But still, we need to progress on the baisis of replacing weaker players first. G. Caldwell is still one of the better players in the Scotland team. We need to pick a team that has ALL out best players (That does not include the traitor Boyd)

:rolleyes: Take off your tri-colored specs and tell me what better Scottish finishers we have around at the minute then?

He's Going Nowhere...

:D Take off your tri-colored specs and tell me what better Scottish finishers we have around at the minute then?

He's Going Nowhere...

Yes, he is the best finisher in Scotland but its not overly hard considering he rarely scores against the big guns. He is too lazy and doesnt do anything exept score a tap in when everone elts does the work which isnt acceptible in International football

Yes, Burley may be staying and I can see the logic in the decision, but I think it's time there is a complete overhaul at the SFA - starting with that muppet George Peat who doesn't seem to know when to keep his mouth shut. For us to have any chance in the next campaign, we need our team, management team, SFA and fans to be pulling in the right direction. Not people all backstabbing each other like Peat, Ferguson, McGregor et al.

:rolleyes: Take off your tri-colored specs and tell me what better Scottish finishers we have around at the minute then?

He's Going Nowhere...

Yes, he is the best finisher in Scotland but its not overly hard considering he rarely scores against the big guns. He is too lazy and doesnt do anything exept score a tap in when everone elts does the work which isnt acceptible in International football

Yeah but kenny miller does more than enough running around for both of them ( and he couldnt muster a single goal in 8 competitive internationals) so that more than evens out. Fair enough boyd is not the complete striker. You forget he's a Scot, playing in Scotland. Not Barcalona et al.

Faddy aint perfect either contrary to popular believe. Have you ever seen him pass the ball? It doesnt happen often.

Boyd has been the top Scottish scorer in Scotland for the last 4 years. He has vastly improved his work rate imho and in Walter and McCoists opinion as well as a good few pundits out there.

He doesnt just score tap ins. A few are at least 12 yards out. (He actually has a very good strike from range and I can think of a fair few peaches.)

I think he was an utter twit for his behaviour but as I've said before, Im all for 2nd chances. Especially with his strike rate.

Yes, Burley may be staying and I can see the logic in the decision, but I think it's time there is a complete overhaul at the SFA - starting with that muppet George Peat who doesn't seem to know when to keep his mouth shut. For us to have any chance in the next campaign, we need our team, management team, SFA and fans to be pulling in the right direction. Not people all backstabbing each other like Peat, Ferguson, McGregor et al.

spot on

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Mac has turned down the chance to be the assistant coach on a part time basis saying he's looking for a full time job in England.

Cant say I blame him. Helping destroy any chance of Scotland getting to a finals tournament is hardly going to shine on his CV and I can imagine thats what will happen with Burley still as manager.

I'll always support the team, the players... my country, but I have no faith in the man in charge.

McAllister should consider himself lucky to be offered the post. I can't understand why he was so connected with first the manager's job, then the assistant. Was pretty average at Coventry, then poor at Leeds. Ok, he was a great player but, if that's the pedigree, then why not have Andy Goram in charge?

I think he could be a decent coach but it's well known a good coach doesnt always make a good manager.

If Pressley had enough to do it though then MacAllister is probably over qualified.

Get an experienced head in. Why not try Archie Knox or someone like that. Or a coach at club level who could do work with the squad when they're together.

If Pressley had enough to do it though then MacAllister is probably over qualified.

It would also make Bobby Moore top drawer but he was rank. Likewise, Mourinho and Sacchi never played professionally (pretty much anyway), whilst the likes of Walter Smith was decidedly below average.

It would also make Bobby Moore top drawer but he was rank. Likewise, Mourinho and Sacchi never played professionally (pretty much anyway), whilst the likes of Walter Smith was decidedly below average.

Sorry what I mean is if Pressley had enough of a coaching pedigree, ie none, before he got the job then MacAllister can hardly be considered lucky to be offered the same job considering he has far greater coaching experience.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

I reckon the SFA were right to keep Burley on. He hardly has a great team, or any good players at all. Jose Mourinho could be boss and Scotland still wouldn't qualify. Not just that, he had some awful luck. The Boozegate malarky, how much booze did Burley drink? None (or very liitle). There were a couple of dreadful misses. How many did Burley miss? None. The SFA were right to keep him on IMO and had they booted him might become a bit triggerhappy, sacking managers after every campaign when they didn't qualify. Burley doing just as good, if not a better one if it were Souness or McLeish or {insert likely candidate name here}.

Edited by Renegade

I reckon the SFA were right to keep Burley on. He hardly has a great team, or any good players at all. Jose Mourinho could be boss and Scotland still wouldn't qualify. Not just that, he had some awful luck. The Boozegate malarky, how much booze did Burley drink? None (or very liitle). There were a couple of dreadful misses. How many did Burley miss? None. The SFA were right to keep him on IMO and had they booted him might become a bit triggerhappy, sacking managers after every campaign when they didn't qualify. Burley doing just as good, if not a better one if it were Souness or McLeish or {insert likely candidate name here}.

Bet we would have finished second. We weren't up against Italy and Germany. We struggled against Norway, Iceland and Macedonia. Teams we are all ranked higher than. There aren't many of their players that would get in our squad, even though Scotland is nothing special.

He also made some pretty poor tactical decisions IMHO, such as playing a defensive midfielder instead of an extra central defender against long ball Norway. I've gone in to more detail on this in my blog.

Burley may not have had something to drink but he did allow the players to go for a late-night drinking session. I also felt the punishment for sticking two fingers up at journos (it wasn't the fans, it was so obviously the media) was too severe.

Boyd did throw his toys out the pram but let's not forget that, despite an impressive international scoring record, Burley chose the rookies of Iwelumo and S.Fletcher above him. I don't agree with Boyd's decision but it doesn't take anything away from terrible decision making on Burley's part.

Also, Burley doesn't seem to have learned from his mistakes. Smith and McLeish learned from Brown and Vogts by playing a good solid defensive style. Burley, like Vogts, tries to play a more expansive game. But the likes of our flair players like Commons aren't with Derby by accident. We're best when we're boring. Sad but true.

I don't think in any way Burley maximised the squad at his disposal against pretty average opposition.

Spot on there IMO Starchief,

I have no idea how Davidson managed to get in ahead of, well, anyone, for the Norway and Macedonia games. He was missing for the two Norway goals that came from open play which were both down his side. And had he remained on the pitch (not picked up injury) I very much doubt we'd have beaten Macedonia.

Playing Alexander when more natural options like Hartley are available.

Would have made more sense to play Weir and S Caldwell with G Caldwell infront against Norway to pick up headers. We looked way too easy to pick apart.

I just dont think McLeish or Smith would have allowed the Boyd or Boozegate scandal to happen, at least not anywhere near to the extent they did.

Ferguson and McGregor were being really stupid and immature during the Iceland game but the whole thing was blown way way out of proportion(much in the same way the press leapt on Burley after certain games). I reckon a public apology via press conference would have done. Perhaps with a charitable donation from the players or something.

Boyd has probably made a choice he may live to regret in years to come. Whether it was the right one is entirely up to him. I wouldnt be one to make a choice like that. But I'd be raging if with his goal scoring pedigree I was left out behind Steven Fletcher and Iwelumo. He might only score against the smaller teams. Norway, Macedonia and Iceland are hardly world beaters though.

I also agree that Scotland can't play an overly expansive open style. I dont understand the notion that Burley is aiming for more attractive football. His teams and this Scotland one are nearly always pretty dire to watch.

Mcleishs Scotland team scored alot of goals (sure it was like a 2 per game ratio) and conceded far less also. It may have been more cautious but even still it was better to watch.

Anyway we play Japan soon. We drew against them 3 years ago. Since then they haven't got any better IMO so if they defeat us we know we'll have went backwards.