FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The best cup final you've ever seen?

AJS

Whats the best ever football final you've ever seen?

Can be any, whether you watched it, went to it, listened to it. Which trophy winning match had you on the edge of your seat till the end?

Mine has to be the Champions League final 2005 when Liverpool beat Milan on penalties.

Mine without doubt was the Division 2 Play off finals 26/05/2007 (not quite a cup final) at Wembley Bristol Rovers Beating Shrewsbury to win promotion, Rovers 2-1 up, time running out for Shrewsbury their keeper came up the pitch for what may have been a corner to them, the ball was cleared to Sammy Igoe, advancing with the ball a empty net beckoning, Rovers fans shouting shoot shoot he eventually hit it from just over the half way line towards an empty net, two Shrews players chasing it all the way but you knew they were not gonna get close enough, the ball rolling slowly over the line making the result safe, an incredible end to a game.

The best final that I attended was my first senior. 1974/75 league cup final Celtic 6 Hibs 3. While we were on the losing side it was a great game to watch. The only other plus was seeing Harper score a hat-trick and still got a losers medal. Gawd I hated that fat..................!

The best final that I watched has got to be the 1970 world cup final, Brazil 4 Italy 1. Superlatives have been exhausted describing that team and game. I generally find finals to be an anti-climax nowadays. Liverpool AC Milan being the exception.

The first is always good irrespective of the score - Inverness Thistle 5 Buckie Thistle 0 - I thought they would all be like that....

Over the years I have been to some dire cup finals - even went to one where the highlight was the half time battle between both sets of fans (on the pitch) which was only broken up when the army police were called to the stadium just in time to allow the 2nd half to start.

The all time classic that I have been to though has to be the 2001 Liverpool v Alves game in Dortmund - I don't think I have experienced such a pulsating final - it could have gone any way - but thankfully Liverpool won 5-4

2001 UEFA Cup Final

Tichy I was also at that final in Elgin, 5-0 humping of Buckie. Everytime we scored the Buckie fans went on the rampage, bythe end of the game id never seen so many Police at a north game. remember a few years later it was Elgin in the final at Forres, was in the Thistle bar when the windows were smashed with bricks and game was nearly abandoned due to the rowdy crowd.

Liverpool finals have a tendancy to be more epic than some other clubs, Alaves, AC Milan, Roma game not so exciting but to win final on their ground infront of their fans was cool.

never forget the last 5 minutes of the Arsenal 3 Man U 2 final, and was it Motherwell 4 Dundee UTD 3.

1980 cup final Celtic V Rangers, most eventful for me.

Celtic won with a last minute goal from George MacLuskey, bounced of his knee I think. Battles on the pitch and outside afterwards.

A famous quote from Archie MacPherson who was comentating at the time. " I have had many jobs with the BBC but never one as a war correspondent"

Bells Challenge Cup 1999/2000 v Alloa which we lost on penalties after a 4 - 4 ET draw. Gutted at the end but it was some game!

Yip that would be mine.. Martin Cameron for Alloa turned into Pele for the day and bagged 4 goals. Possibly the best performance I've ever seen from an opposing striker who then disappeared down south to become a nobody

The way the goals went as well 1-0,1-1,2-1,2-2, 3-2, 3-3, F/T, 4-3 then finally 4-4.... even the penalies were tit for tat.. until Rossco (maybe Teasdale) missed his and lost us the match

Truely epic game and probably has a lot to do with why I love football so much.

Dundee Utd 3-0 Ross Sh*t

Was in the Utd end :_wink:

That was VERY pleasurable in the end.

I used to really enjoy watching Caley play in the Qualifying Cup finals circa 1982-85 ish. A great all out attacking team that was....with attacking midfeiders, Two Wingers and two strikers. QUALITY!!

Tichy I was also at that final in Elgin, 5-0 humping of Buckie. Everytime we scored the Buckie fans went on the rampage, bythe end of the game id never seen so many Police at a north game. remember a few years later it was Elgin in the final at Forres, was in the Thistle bar when the windows were smashed with bricks and game was nearly abandoned due to the rowdy crowd.

Liverpool finals have a tendancy to be more epic than some other clubs, Alaves, AC Milan, Roma game not so exciting but to win final on their ground infront of their fans was cool.

never forget the last 5 minutes of the Arsenal 3 Man U 2 final, and was it Motherwell 4 Dundee UTD 3.

The Jags fair took a beating that day from the Buckie fans , pity you's didn't have the Caley boys there to give you's a hand like you did in the Elgin final at Forres .

1980 cup final Celtic V Rangers, most eventful for me.

Celtic won with a last minute goal from George MacLuskey, bounced of his knee I think. Battles on the pitch and outside afterwards.

A famous quote from Archie MacPherson who was comentating at the time. " I have had many jobs with the BBC but never one as a war correspondent"

Eventful, yes, but a very poor game.

I would have to say, when I was young and daft, 1973, Scottish Cup, Celtic 2 Rangers 3. Dalglish 1-0, Parlane 1-1, Conn 1-2, Connelly pen 2-2, Forsyth 2-3. 122000 crowd as well.

Any Caley cup final in Elgin during the eighties/early nineties. Generally a brilliant day out involving beaviour that would be frowned upon in this day and age but was quality entertainment at the time.

Been to two Champions League finals at the Stade de France, Real Madrid vs. Valencia in 2000 and Barcelona vs. Arsenal in 2006. Both were pretty memorable events.

Also attended several French cup/league cup finals involving PSG. One involved non stop swedging between various PSG ultras the other, a memorable PSG victory over Olympique Marseille, resulted in being pelted by irate OM ultras and being forced onto the autoroute on my 50cc vespa by French riot police (not advisable!). Two lively evenings that will live long in the memory.

Bells Challenge Cup 1999/2000 v Alloa which we lost on penalties after a 4 - 4 ET draw. Gutted at the end but it was some game!

Yip that would be mine.. Martin Cameron for Alloa turned into Pele for the day and bagged 4 goals. Possibly the best performance I've ever seen from an opposing striker who then disappeared down south to become a nobody

The way the goals went as well 1-0,1-1,2-1,2-2, 3-2, 3-3, F/T, 4-3 then finally 4-4.... even the penalies were tit for tat.. until Rossco (maybe Teasdale) missed his and lost us the match

Truely epic game and probably has a lot to do with why I love football so much.

Yes, that was a classic game. throughly enjoyed it .... funnily enough it was our penalty king - PAUL SHEERIN - who scored a hat trick for us during the game (including two penalties) that stepped up to take the first one in the shootout and missed !!! Mike Teasdale missed our last one as we lost 5-4 on pens.

Dug out the official match report below

SUN 21st NOVEMBER 1999 SHYBERRY EXCELSIOR STADIUM, AIRDRIE

BELLS CHALLENGE CUP FINAL

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE 4 (Wilson 29, Sheerin 46 pen, 56 pen & 112)

Fridge, Tokely, Hastings, Teasdale, McCulloch, Sheerin, Wilson, Xausa (Bavidge 104), Wyness (Glancy 105), Christie, Golabek (Byers 72)

ALLOA 4 (Clark 20, Wilson 33, Cameron 48 & 104)

Cairns, Boyle, Clark, McAneny, Beaton, Valentine, Little, Clark (Christie 67), Cameron, Irvine, Wilson (McKechnie 65)

Sub – Donaghy

4-4 after extra time. Alloa won 5-4 on penalties –

Alloa penalties – Irvine scored; Beaton hit bar; Boyle, Cameron, Little & Cairns scored

ICT penalties – Sheerin saved; McCulloch, Tokely, Byers & Wilson scored; Teasdale saved

REFEREE – J McLuskey ATTENDANCE – 4043 MAN OF THE MATCH - Martin Cameron (Alloa)

Bitter disappointment for Caley Thistle as they lost their first ever senior cup final on penalties. They came from behind three times in normal play then again in extra time to take the game to a penalty decider. Alloa took the lead in 20 minutes when Gary Clark hit a low ball past Les Fridge from 15 yards. Barry Wilson equalised in 29 minutes with a neat chip over the ‘keeper. A defensive error let in Mark Wilson to score Alloa’s second in 33 minutes but Paul Sheerin equalised from the penalty spot just after half time. This lasted 2 minutes before Martin Cameron made it 3-2 with a 15 yard angled volley. Another penalty goal by Sheerin made it 3-3 in 56 minutes. 14 minutes into extra time Alloa again took the lead when Martin Cameron beat the defence and ran on to score. Paul Sheerin completed his hat trick 8 minutes from time with a 16 yard shot. It was 4-4 on penalties after the regulation 5 attempts each. Alloa ‘keeper Mark Cairns was the hero when he scored to make it 5-4 then saved Mike Teasdale’s penalty. The Cup was on its way to Alloa after an exciting match.

Any Caley cup final in Elgin during the eighties/early nineties. Generally a brilliant day out involving beaviour that would be frowned upon in this day and age but was quality entertainment at the time.

Caley 3 Peterhead 2 - 1991 Qualifying Cup Final at Borough Briggs

I was only 9 years-old and can't remember it in much detail, but i do have a strong memory of the euphoria and pitch invasion that followed a late come back that was completed with a last minute screamer from Wilsie.

Does anybody have more detail on this game? Mantis?

Like others I was also at the Thistle - buckie game - but one that stands out for me was the 1990 Scottish cup final Aberdeen v Celtic - got a free ticket to the aberdeen end that day and even though the game ended 0 - 0

Aberdeen won 9 - 8 on penalties with Anton Rogan missing for the tic - Some good players on view that day for both clubs

ABERDEEN:

GK

22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Theo Snelders DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Stewart McKimmie DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Alex McLeish DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Brian Irvine DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png David Robertson MF

22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Paul Mason

10px-Sub_off.svg.png ?' MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Brian Grant MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Jim Bett FW

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Bobby Connor FW

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Charlie Nicholas FW

22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Hans Gillhaus Substitutes: DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Graham Watson

10px-Sub_on.svg.png ?' MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Eoin Jess Manager: 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Alex Smith

CELTIC:

GK

22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Pat Bonner DF

22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Dariusz Wdowczyk DF

22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Paul Elliott DF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Derek Whyte DF

22px-Ulster_banner.svg.png Anton Rogan MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Billy Stark

10px-Sub_off.svg.png ?' MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Peter Grant MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Paul McStay FW

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Joe Miller FW

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Andy Walker

10px-Sub_off.svg.png ?' FW

22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Dariusz Dziekanowski Substitutes: MF

22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Mike Galloway

10px-Sub_on.svg.png ?' FW

22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Tommy Coyne

10px-Sub_on.svg.png ?' Manager: 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Billy McNeill

Add any Caley Cup Final in the late 70's and 80's - The days of the packed Football Special trains - inevitably heading to Elgin or Dingwall. No way I can rmember all the dates - can hardly remember the days - but I recall one Cup Final at Briggs against huntly where it really kicked off big style - and at a two legged final at dingwall when 20-30 of us went in to the then segregatde jail End. Oh and we won both - on and off the pitsch. :_thumbup:

The one that always sticks out in my mind was the 1991 Scottish Cup Final between Dundee Utd and Motherwell finishing 4v3 to Motherwell after extra time.

I was 10 and remeber being completely overawed by Ally Maxwell who had a complete stormer not to mention the fact he continued to play on with a burst spleen and could visably been seen holding his stomach after every save he made. Thats not to mention the late Phil O'Donnell and the great Davie Cooper.

I am sure there have been better finals than this but this ones sticks out in my mind also because it was back in the days when the build up to the game started at 11:00am ish on BBC1 and it was the first final programme I sat and watched from start to finish.

Edited by MrCaleyjag

:lol01:

BELLS CHALLENGE CUP FINAL

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE 4 (Wilson 29, Sheerin 46 pen, 56 pen & 112)

Fridge, Tokely, Hastings, Teasdale, McCulloch, Sheerin, Wilson, Xausa (Bavidge 104), Wyness (Glancy 105), Christie, Golabek (Byers 72)

ALLOA 4 (Clark 20, Wilson 33, Cameron 48 & 104)

Cairns, Boyle, Clark, McAneny, Beaton, Valentine, Little, Clark (Christie 67), Cameron, Irvine, Wilson (McKechnie 65)

Sub ? Donaghy

4-4 after extra time. Alloa won 5-4 on penalties ?

Alloa penalties ? Irvine scored; Beaton hit bar; Boyle, Cameron, Little & Cairns scored

ICT penalties ? Sheerin saved; McCulloch, Tokely, Byers & Wilson scored; Teasdale saved

REFEREE ? J McLuskey ATTENDANCE ? 4043 MAN OF THE MATCH - Martin Cameron (Alloa)

Bitter disappointment for Caley Thistle as they lost their first ever senior cup final on penalties. They came from behind three times in normal play then again in extra time to take the game to a penalty decider. Alloa took the lead in 20 minutes when Gary Clark hit a low ball past Les Fridge from 15 yards. Barry Wilson equalised in 29 minutes with a neat chip over the ?keeper. A defensive error let in Mark Wilson to score Alloa?s second in 33 minutes but Paul Sheerin equalised from the penalty spot just after half time. This lasted 2 minutes before Martin Cameron made it 3-2 with a 15 yard angled volley. Another penalty goal by Sheerin made it 3-3 in 56 minutes. 14 minutes into extra time Alloa again took the lead when Martin Cameron beat the defence and ran on to score. Paul Sheerin completed his hat trick 8 minutes from time with a 16 yard shot. It was 4-4 on penalties after the regulation 5 attempts each. Alloa ?keeper Mark Cairns was the hero when he scored to make it 5-4 then saved Mike Teasdale?s penalty. The Cup was on its way to Alloa after an exciting match.

that's not how I remember it :107:

The league cup final (or Skol Cup, as it was known then) in 1987 - Rangers 3, Aberdeen 3, with Rangers winning on penalties after Peter Nicholas missed for Aberdeen. This was the game in which Davie Cooper scored the famous thunderbolt freekick - and I was right behind it, in the Aberdeen end. I was 14 and Aberdeen were my 'big' team, so I was gutted at the time, but looking back, it was a remarkable game and both teams contained much more talent and flair then their current equivalents.

Chiber - were you not wearing a shirt with Teasdale on it or something? I seem to remember blaming you for the defeat because of something you were wearing!

lol nah I remember getting the blame somehow but not sure what it was for... maybe said he didn't look confident before he missed it or something like that.