FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

It'll never happen (unfortunately)

Gringo

So what if there wasn't as much money. If more expensive players are your biggest concern, then support the richest clubs. What money do Morton, Stirling Albion etc etc have? there may be a reduced class of player - but for most clubs I don't think we'd notice much. One thing that would change, the league would be more competitive. I think that would be more fun. Don't much care about the cash.

• Agree 1

I would like to think Caley D was right . However, I wonder if the situation in Wales is a pointer here. The bigger Welsh club sides of Cardiff and Swansea have always played in the English leagues (as have Wrexham) and despite now having entry into European competition, the teams that make up the Welsh league are dire. Quality and gates are low. There is an argument that if those 3 clubs returned to a Welsh league (the opposite of what we are suggesting) the interest in the league and the overall standard would rise significantly. Obviously they are not going to do that but I think the argument of what would happen if they did seems logical. It therefore seems reasonable to argue that the reverse process in Scotland could only lead to an overall drop in standards.

Of course there are significant differences in Scotland. We have a bigger population and several significantly bigger teams than in Wales so there is a momentum to keep this going. Football fans in other towns in South Wales will tend to support the local big club because over the years they are in effect seen to be representing Wales and are not directly competing with their home town club. Also, Wales is more Rugby orientated and this reduces the football fan base.

The big Welsh clubs playing in England undoubtedly makes the Welsh league weaker, but would the same be true in Scotland? I don't think it would and would certainly love it if we had the opportunity to find out.

I was talking about a scenario where one (or both) the OF failed to exist, but even looking at them moving I think we have sufficient strength within the rest of the game here that we could overcome the loss as opposed to slipping into football oblivion.

Admittedly, I am more than a bit out of my depth discussing football in other nations, but I think I would be right in saying that with the Welsh leaning more heavily towards balls of a different shape, football has never enjoyed the same success/popularity there as it has here....interesting point of discussion though and wouldn't mind more of an insight into the comparisons between Scotland/Wales/N. Ireland from those who know more about it than I.