FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchday Thread: Rangers -V- ICT

Scotty

Great effort by the team today and we were worth a point. I thought at the time that Foran's goal was good as he came in from deep to nod in. McKay unlucky to round keeper then screw his shot agonisingly the wrong side of the post and the one cleared off the line was right on the line, no margin for error. The injury issue, tough chit. The guy was down, Foran eventually spotted him on the turf, wandered slowly across the centre of the park and was about to stop altogether when the injured player started to get up, so Foran rightly continued. Great turn on the wing from Tade and cross for our goal.

We rode our luck before and after the first goal but then we got on top when we scored. The game then went into pulsating mode and went from end to end. Great game for the neutral and unfortunately we just came up short, no disgrace and all heroes for me.

Esson had a tremendous diving save in the first half. The back four did well, Golobart playing brilliantly alongside Rossco and the wide backs coped very well. Foran defended in depth and still pushed forward when needed and Cox looked back and ready for more. Hayes was fantastic in spurts and Tade ran at them at will, especially in the second half. Tansey dug in but we were more creative with A Shinnie on the park. McKay was unlucky not to score and linked play up effectively.

All heroes today and they worked their asses off................well done Inverness Caledonian Thistle :twothumbsup:

• Agree 5

walked away from that game proud of my team not 1 bad performer imo

golobart won every single header that came his way jelavic just didnt know what to do against him which says something. ''19 year centre back thwarts ?9 million striker''??

hayes and tade down both wings tore the full backs a new one lee wallace and steven whitaker worth ?2 million each my arse

esson wow what a save in the first half

graeme shinnie- great performance motm in my opinion

andy shinnie came on and changed the game done the simple thing which rangers couldnt handle

i wont go through all the players but valient effort from them all realy proud that every player played for the shirt today

• Agree 1

Gutted, Simple as.

Couldn't be more proud of the boys but that game was there for the taking. The 10-15 minutes spell when Mckay missed two great chances and the Foran offside? goal and Rangers just needed one chance and they took it.

Rangers were awful, notable duds were Edu, Whittaker and the hapless Wylde. Caley looked strong throughout and Shinnie's goal was a beaut, even though I had to refrain from celebrating too much being amongst the Rangers fans.

Overall a good day and I'm confident we'll still be here next year.

Surprised you didn't mention Papac as a dud. He was anonymous. Not really his fault, given he was playing in central midfield mind you. A.Shinnie was carrying an injury apparently, hence why on the bench. Didn't think Tade was great but in the little he did play, made a real impact. Gillet had a couple of times he was out of position but then, he was out of position. Definitely deserved a draw, didn't deserve any penalties, but for inches, we could have taken a decent result. Lots to look forward to. Dunfermline gone, Inverness rising.

when Foran kept playing, caley had just won the ball back off Rangers who had kept playing themselves after Jelavic went down injured. Commentators on radio said because Rangers had kept playing caley shouldnt stop when they got the ball. All legitamite, also sky sports reported that our offside goal should have stood, as did BBC HD with Gabby Roslyn

Defeated but not disheartened. We shoudlve came away with a result and im dissapointed we didnt but at the end of the day we were against the reigning league leaders :tongueincheek: .

The first half was a real no show. Both teams cancelled each other out. Whittaker coming close with a header which Esson turned away, Cox had the best opportunity for us but just couldnt make contact with the ball when it came in. Thought unlike last week Butcher got his tactics more or less spot on. We went out to frustrate Rangers and despite omitting Andy Shinnie for the starting XI i thought he brought him on at the best moment. Gillet at right back was a funny one but he did reasonably well though my heart was in my mouth when he fouled Jelavic towards half time.

The 2nd half was alot more open, frustrating to see us concede yet again from another set piece, didnt clear our lines and Bocanegra eventually found the net. But Shinnie was introduced and almost immediately the game was turning our way. Foran found Tade who showed great skill to get past Whittaker, burn into the box and play a great ball across which Shinnie finished first time. We were deservedly level and shouldve added to it. McKay rounded McGregor only to hit the post, Johnny had a shot turned off the line and McKay then fired straight at McGregor in a good area. Would also like to see Foran's header, he seemed onside when making his run.

But as usual our luck is just not going good and Davis played through Lafferty who stroked the ball home with not long remaining, Rangers played out the remaining few minutes by holding up the ball and bouts of time wasting.

The Shinnie brothers, Hayes, Golobart and Tade all get good mentions today, all gave 100%, had a great impact on the game and can be very pleased with their performances today. McKay shouldve scored but his performance was good, he is getting into good areas and if he carries on he will start to hit the back of the net more. Our players can take alot of heart from today, keep that level of performance up we will begin to produce results against other teams.

• Agree 2

What a change from last weeks posts! positivity at last. We may have lost but we certainly weren't defeated.

Butcher's tactics deserve a big mention, he had that team playing magnificently, Rangers couldn't cope with it.

Proof there he new what he was doing when he brought in these players, I hope now that all ye doubters will give him and the team all the backing they deserve.

This team will soon find and play to its full potential, we will not go down, I really am looking forward to 2012.

Happy Christmas to all and may our net be empty while we fill theirs.

ictscarf.gif

• Agree 1

Well done ICT. Was so proud of the team yesterday. They all played with heart, spirit and skill. Gutted that we did not get at least a draw but went to the game fearing, no expecting, the worst and left it heartened for the rest of season. Our team went to to the home of the Scottish Champions and outplayed them for long sections of the game. They also showed spirit after going a goal down which has always been a hallmark of ICT teams through the years.

• Agree 1

very hard to tell...also find it slighlty annoying just how certain the commentator is when then the camera is behind the goal...impossible to tell from there when it is that close.....really though we should have done better but for some bad luck

Well i would like to second manfers comments about yesterday. I had great crack with everyone in brechins before the game and then we went to ibrox all fuelled up to have a good day even though none of us expected the performance we witnessed. The first half was drab and apart from ryan making the save of the game if not the save of the season not much to write home about. We ddnt test mcgregor very much and rangers had moments where we had had to be abit desperate at the back but we dealt with it well with all the back 4 being heros even if gillet almost undone the good work right on half time. Second half and rangers goal was no surprise. All the crosses into the box looked dangerous and it looked only a matter of time before they got through. The goal is disappointing even though their is a hint of handball by jelavic but hey the story of the day jelavic handballed in their area in the first half and it wasnt noticed evn though looking at the highlights it was pretty blatent. After 1-0 we lost the plot for a while and had to ride the crest of rangers wave for a little bit and a few times we almost drowned. First lafferty should have scored and he even had the option to give jelavic a tap in but we survived that and then papac hit a very sweet shot that smashed off the bar. In between that was penalty shout number 2 when mckay looked to have been pulled back by bartley but yet again nothing doing. Then the game changer ive seen the highlights and it was a very strong challenge by graeme shinnie but he won the ball and as been stated if Rangers were that concearned for jelavic then they should have got rid of it themselves but they didnt so they cant complain when we played on. Tade was quiet but again put alot of effort in and the best bit of trickery of the game to completely mug whittiker and put a great ball across for shinnie to equalise. Their werent many away fans but ever supporter that was their were having a party. Then it was our game to win from then, foran first scored a perfect goal from a delicious hayes free kick but again who would dare take the lead at ibrox especially a bunch of highlanders and we robbed a good goal by the linesman. Mckay just had to show a little more composure when he had the open goal but was slightly off balance and his shot hit the post and went wide. Then hayes ran through the ranger defence like they werent their and showed great composure to take the rebound and round mcgregor before weakly hitting towards the goal only to give wallace time to clear. Any more force and it would have been a goal. Rangers won because for the first time in the game we gave davis room to run at our defence before playing a nice ball for lafferty to score and effectively win. Mckay should have done better against a panicky rangers defence but hit his shot straight at mcgregor. Overall feel half and half, obviously gutted that we created so much and played so well at the champions and got nothing but also very proud in defeat. Esson was great and the back 4 were supurb especially shinnie and golabart who put in a real shift. Up front hayes was again our dangerman but foran and mckay performed well with mckay holding the ball up and causing the rangers defence a few problems. Tade worked hard and showed some real skill to create the equaliser. A very good game and a fantastic performance and if we can do that agait the other teams then we will be just fine this season. COMEON CALEY THISLTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it just me or did tade look like he had natural ability yesterday?? haha love him

just watched the highlights imo we should of had 2 penalties both looked it to me

seemed billy mckays took a bit of a heavy touch when he missed that 'open goal'. angle was getting tighter all the time and was on his weak foot always stretching he had only done a quarter of the job by rounding mcgregor imo

esson absolute wonder save imo its up there with some of his best for us

as for their winner golobart rookie mistake getting dragged out leaving the flat back four a flat back 3 some would say good play by jelavic i say inexpierence but i wont get down on him cos he won every header and dominated

still proud of them all, look forward to the second half of the season with optimism keep that system fit andy shinnie in the hole with tade down the left and with a proper right back we will be pushing top six in 3-4 months time

Aye, whoever said that Tade didn't play that well was at another game. He absolutely roasted Whittaker on his wing and his turn for creating the equaliser was quite Cruyff like. Honest. There wasn't a bad player in an ICT shirt and a 4-3 win would have been a better reflection of play. It's just sickening to lose to a goal from a guy who looks like plug from the bash street kids (google it young ones) Maybe that's why Rosscoe and Roman G took one look at him at the goal and ran in the opposite direction. Billy McKay could easily have had a hat trick but my MOTM had to be Roman Golobart, who was immense at the back. Highlight of the day (apart from fish n'chips in Auchterarder) was losing the bus home. It had been shifted by the Polis during the match, which was great for the Inverness fans in the away end because they got told. Less good for me + midgetmaestro who were in the main stand and didn't get told. Pete asked them to put a tannoy message for us, which security refused to do in case it was a "coded message" to start a riot. Kid you not. Next time, I'm taking a banner that says "our bagpipes have survived famine and oppression". That should confuse them.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Tade was a breath of fresh air on the left hand side yesterday. Got to hand it to Terry, he got the tactics spot on. Shame it didn't happen last weekend. Unfortunate to lose the way we did though and Rangers in no way deserved all three points which was sickening, but goals wins you games I suppose.

Play like we did yesterday and we will get all 3 points next weekend.

Just to point out, Ryan Esson's save yesterday. Legend.