FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Will Next Season Be Butcher's Last?

Renegade

Will next season be Butcher's last?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will next season be Butcher's last?

• Yes, next season will be his last at ICT
    • No, he will manage ICT beyond next season
    • No, THIS season will be his last

Then you are going to be hoping we have to do the whole player change all over again next season, given 12 of the current squad of poor players are out of contract.

Much better to start again, all over again from scratch, than re-sign poor players, don't you think, even if they manage to stay injury free and have a season's experience under their belts?

Time to call for heads, imo, is when/if Butcher signs the core set of players he thinks will do a job next season, and they don't.

Personally, I think the players have to take as much of the stick as the manager...because they are paid to do a job.....and they are not doing it remotely consistently. If they were surgeons, I'd be terrified of going under a knife they were wielding on a day when they were in "can't be bothered" mode.

Mistakes can be forgiven, not trying can't.

Butcher hasnt had a great season but it is one season. He has not taken us backwards as we were never much higher in the table apart from 7th. Some of the signings havent made the impact we would have hoped for but give him the summer to make a few changes and hopefully we will keep the majority of the squad fit and then we can push on. We have lacked a striker and need a poacher but on our budget we may struggle and defensively we have got stronger and if we can keep golabart then that is a plus. Butcher has done brilliant in his time and one poor season can be excused, we are going through a transition but we are a better side than what we have shown this season and with a few changes next season hopefully will be better

• Agree 1

Some of you really do need to get a grip.

This season has been a disaster for just about every footballing reason under the sun. Injuries, suspensions, harsh decisions, no penalites bla bla bla.

Butcher may be at fault for all but not for everything. He changed the team yes. But most of his signings have all shown how capable Doran, Shinnie, Tade, Tansey, Jones, Golobart have all been very good signings but there has been no continuity because all of the above mentioned plus most players in the squad have been injured. Theres been no continuity and no chance to build an understanding. This is also a really young team so mistakes are going to be made as they may not cope with the pressure as much as others.

I'm not saying that Butcher is faultless. His recent tactics have been woeful and one or two purchases have been less than effective e.g former players Gnakpa and Aldred. This also ties in with the idea of continuity and stability and has to stop. If he signs players i sincerely hope that most are with a long term view. Experience is required too and fast, the young lads need more help out there on the pitch.

Personally i dont want him to go. You all seem to forget that this is the manager that got us back to the Prem at the first time of asking and also gave us our nearest push to the top 6 we've ever had. He deserved a chance to make his own mark on the team and he cant stop players getting injured or suspended so bog off and give him some space, there is no point in asking him to go at this stage of the season either cause you guys aint gonna get what you want. He deserves another chance to stamp his authority on the team and surely surely we won't have another season as hellish as this one.

• Agree 6

Some of you really need to get a grip.

Excuses, excuses.......injuries, suspensions, posts, crossbars, referees, linesmen etc

Bottom line........not good enough, not organised enough, not coached well enough, not entertaining enough and not committed enough (absence of many today confirmed that).

Suggest that it is those who continually excuse, justify and blindly follow that needs to get a grip eh?

• Agree 4

OK - Cards on the table ....I am an ICT fan .. full stop!

I feel that the above comments are very harsh and indeed I went onto the historical sites to offer some support to the management team .. I'm afraid there is little facts to back up Terry's ability to get the best out of HIS players this year.

We have little money and are remote from the footballing hub and this makes us THE candidate to be relegated every year and we, so far, have nearly always defied the pundits!l. This year is reflective of our expected position, league struggler.

We get a new manager and he does what?? Move Inverness into Central Scotland? Pay big wages to super players from a gate of circa 3000 every fortnight? Take on the current squad and improve their playing ability?

A big ask for any manager and especially for one willing to come away up here on limited resources.

I think this is a bad year for our Tel... his professional pride, I hope, is hurt and already he is making plans for next year with a brilliant start to the new season. Maybe I am dreaming and Terry has limited management skills but taking on board his all round results - I vote ... PLEASE STAY and, like this year, keep my wee team once again in the top league!!

• Agree 4

With regards to GMS if I mind right we didn't offer him a contract but Butcher wanted him to stay another week on trial to further asses him. Airdrie stepped in with a "formal" deal and off he went.

Interesting that some people seem to blaming the injuries as the be-all-and-end-all of ICT's problems. No-one's really mentioned something here that I believe is very important - the training. I was doing some reading recently about a fitness coach named Steve Black. He's regarded as one of the best in England, with his most recent job being at Huddersfield (he's also previously worked with Newcastle, Sunderland and the Welsh rugby team). While he was there they supposedly had the lowest amount of injuries the season he was there our of every other professional club on the planet. He credits this to some of the routines he does when training the squad.

A while back, I went away and researched Butcher's history of training at his previous clubs and obvious trend seems to occur - it's never been very good. Supposedly at Brentford it was awful and the players hated it. At Sydney the players thought it was to a poor standard and would meet in secret to do it again in the afternoons. Combine this with his part time role as a defensive coach at Raith Rovers (where apparently the defence got worse) and at Dundee United, where Jim McLean also thought his skills weren't much good.

Could Butcher's training be an issue in performances on the field and in regards to the amount of injuries that have arisen this season? I think it could certainly be a factor.

Then you are going to be hoping we have to do the whole player change all over again next season, given 12 of the current squad of poor players are out of contract.

Much better to start again, all over again from scratch, than re-sign poor players, don't you think, even if they manage to stay injury free and have a season's experience under their belts?

Time to call for heads, imo, is when/if Butcher signs the core set of players he thinks will do a job next season, and they don't.

Personally, I think the players have to take as much of the stick as the manager...because they are paid to do a job.....and they are not doing it remotely consistently. If they were surgeons, I'd be terrified of going under a knife they were wielding on a day when they were in "can't be bothered" mode.

Mistakes can be forgiven, not trying can't.

At the end of last season that is what I actually said about this one - it was a year to re-stock - sure we have had a lot of bad luck but the chopping and changing hasnt helped and we DO need a footballing coach.

Interesting that some people seem to blaming the injuries as the be-all-and-end-all of ICT's problems. No-one's really mentioned something here that I believe is very important - the training. I was doing some reading recently about a fitness coach named Steve Black. He's regarded as one of the best in England, with his most recent job being at Huddersfield (he's also previously worked with Newcastle, Sunderland and the Welsh rugby team). While he was there they supposedly had the lowest amount of injuries the season he was there our of every other professional club on the planet. He credits this to some of the routines he does when training the squad.

A while back, I went away and researched Butcher's history of training at his previous clubs and obvious trend seems to occur - it's never been very good. Supposedly at Brentford it was awful and the players hated it. At Sydney the players thought it was to a poor standard and would meet in secret to do it again in the afternoons. Combine this with his part time role as a defensive coach at Raith Rovers (where apparently the defence got worse) and at Dundee United, where Jim McLean also thought his skills weren't much good.

Could Butcher's training be an issue in performances on the field and in regards to the amount of injuries that have arisen this season? I think it could certainly be a factor.

We barely picked up any injuries when we were in the 1st Division. And that was as small a squad as i remember us having.

• Agree 1

With regards to GMS if I mind right we didn't offer him a contract but Butcher wanted him to stay another week on trial to further asses him. Airdrie stepped in with a "formal" deal and off he went.

no he signed for airdie in january 2011.

and renegade in regards to training im pretty sure malpas takes it for the most part. this season is the only season under butcher when weve had severe injury problems. id say coincidence.

• Agree 1

The think TB has too take some responsibilty for the poor performances of the team but it's not all down too him. Decisions have not gone with us this season, injuries have played a massive part and we haven't had our best 11 players on the pitch at the same time all season i dont think. This makes it hard for the gaffer has he has to chop and change the team so much as there is no continuity. He has made some poor signings and some of his tatics and selections have been very questionable. Would like to see what he can do next season and then judge him on that

no he signed for airdie in january 2011.

A bit more digging seems to suggest he was with us on trial ~ September 2010, wasn't offered a deal and later signed for Airdrie Utd in January 2011. Signed for United that summer (roughly).

Yeah, because the whole sorry state of Scottish Football has made no contribution to that decline in attendances whatsoever!!!

The majority of SPL clubs showed an increase in attendances .Your love of Butcher is obvious but really it's time to take the rose-tinted glasses off .

Yeah, because the whole sorry state of Scottish Football has made no contribution to that decline in attendances whatsoever!!!

The majority of SPL clubs showed an increase in attendances .Your love of Butcher is obvious but really it's time to take the rose-tinted glasses off .

Think I prefer those glasses to your blinkers.

Attendances are down 9.6% on last season and I can only see them falling more if Butcher is allowed to continue serving up the same drivel as this season .

This seems to be another recurring trend in the management of Butcher. Was just reading there, that from the start of the season to the end of the season Butcher had at Sydney, attendances went from an average of 17,000 to 15,000 in a matter of about three months. This was put down Butcher's kick and rush style of play, leading many to turn away apparently.

Think I prefer those glasses to your blinkers.

I say it the way I see it unlike yourself who blindly accepts any p1sh served up to you . Oh and I was right about the other clubs showing an increase in attendance this season :wink:

As long as our attendances don't drop below 3000 like then super j's attendance isn't a worry they will fluctuate.

You think we're getting more than 3000 in through the turnstiles at the moment??

As long as our attendances don't drop below 3000 like then super j's attendance isn't a worry they will fluctuate.

You think we're getting more than 3000 in through the turnstiles at the moment??

I can answer that...yes.