FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT squad 2012-13

The way I see it is people were criticising butchers lack of faith in the local boys last season, well he's making half the squad out of them this year. So that puts that argument to rest.

If they are good enough they will play if not they will be concealed to the under 20s.

Edited by lukemackay

Feel fine about the newbees we have signed, adding to what was a decent bunch. Little concerned about the amount of yoof, not saying they aint decent cause some are, but they were very poor against other teams under 19s. Is it that the other SPL teams have an upcoming golden generation?

Shouldn't think so....but I'd have thought that the u-19s faced much the same problems as the 1st team did last season....a chunk of players going and another younger chunk being introduced. Think the ICT squad, since getting back to the SPL, is one of the youngest average age one.

Never got the impression from reading the limited reports on the sites of those they were playing that their play was that bad. Not easy to judge, tbh, when you never hear anything on the ICTFC site....even the squad make-up....so you don't know about injuries etc..and can't even identify who are yoof if they turn up on the bench in emergencies.

Maybe now there is an u-20 set-up things will improve...but I'm not holding my breath! :ponder:

Edited by Oddquine

It's worth remembering that the younger teams are there to produce one or two good players, not a whole team. The classic example is Everton Schoolboys getting beaten by Liverpool Schoolboys 15-1. Wayne Rooney came from the Everton team. Everton win.

One or two players becoming SPL standard would be a terrific result. It matters not how the rest of the team perform in the youth leagues.

• Agree 2

I see that Butcher has expressed caution about playing Matt Cooper in the first team on a regular basis. However, with injuries to Raven, Warren and King already on top of Hogg's ongoing rehabilitation he will surely have to play.

Hmmmm, let's see....

We're taking a risk by bringing in the walking wounded in the hope that they can stay fit. And they would be:

Raven (injured); Hogg (injured); Warren (injured); King (injured); Jones (injured); A.Shinnie (fit); Regeuro (fit)

Phew! It's gonna be a looooooong season.

Who plays at LB if G.Shinnie gets injured?

Yeah, I've thought that too. It's why I put Ryan Watson in my squad. Maybe Terry has Gavin filling in as deputy LB. Played RB for a spell against Clach.

The more I've thought about it today, I may have a solution (which will probably be laughed at).

Similar to the way Aberdeen have repositioned Josh Magennis to a full back, I feel Shane Sutherland has potential to fill in at full back if necessary. He is decent in the air, good going forward and isn't that slow compared to much of the spl. I've no idea what his defensive experience or ability would be; but I'd be interested to see how he'd get on in the u20 league as a full back for a game or two...

Edited by RossP

The more I've thought about it today, I may have a solution (which will probably be laughed at).

Similar to the way Aberdeen have repositioned Josh Magennis to a full back, I feel Shane Sutherland has potential to fill in at full back if necessary. He is decent in the air, good going forward and isn't that slow compared to much of the spl. I've no idea what his defensive experience or ability would be; but I'd be interested to see how he'd get on in the u20 league as a full back for a game or two...

Have the "powers-that-be" decided yet if there are to be overage players allowed in the u-20 league? If not, that's not an option.

Way back when, I seem to remember that the coaches of the wee lads didn't just assume that every player should be a striker (as 99.9% wanted to be), but used to try them out in various positions to see where they fitted best and see what the options were...but Shane wasn't a wee lad when he came to ICT so is maybe too set in his ways. Dunno how Wick deals with their youth training.

Magennis appears to have alternated between goalie and striker from time to time in his career, so a defensive position may come more easily to him.

And I though that I was the master of wind ups !!

The saving grace is that most of the defenders can interchange. Laing played as a rite back at Brechin but didn't look confident defensively and allowed a lot of crosses to come in from the left which led to the second goal. I am really pleased that the yoof have been given a chance. I don't actually think that is anything to do with their enthusiasm, pace, movement or skill as Polworth, Pepper and Oswell have that in abundance. They are merely children in a mans world. They are simply not strong enuff to play in certain positions such as midfield or centre forward as they don't have the physique to deal with some of the brutes who will be out to noise them up. Pepper out wide could be an option in the absence of Doran. Oswell will be a good sub and let's get him down to the gym and wait till he grows another few inches.

I would rather have the yoof than short term loanees or some unknowns from the bowels of Englandshire.

Conor Pepper has played his way to a permanent deal at Inverness Caledonian Thistle after impressing boss Terry Butcher while on trial.

The 18-year-old midfielder started out at Queens Park Rangers on a youth contract but returned to Dublin to play for St Patrick's in the League of Ireland.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7941741/Caley-snap-up-Pepper

• Agree 1

I'm a bit confused, the article suggests he was on trial in these last few games, but he said himself that he'd signed a pre-contract months ago after playing in that trialist game.

http://ictfc.com/new...-double-signing

Pepper joins fellow Dubliners Aaron Doran and Richie Foran in Butcher's senior squad

Considering Dublin is some 220 miles fron Aarons birthplace of Charleville in County Cork I'd hardly think he'd like to be referred to as a fellow Dubliner.

Forgot to add....good to see Polworth being included. Think he also has a lot of potential.

Edited by Alex MacLeod