FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT squad 2012-13

He's been involved a few times so far this pre season, he was an unused sub on Saturday but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run out against Coventry

Personally I dont see the point in an unused sub in a pre season friendly !!

Funnily enough we only made 1 substitution against Elgin. Albeit it was an inspired one, with Nick Ross coming off the bench to score. This made me think that possibly the starting line up from the Elgin game will be the starting line up for the first game of the season.

Most of us have moaned about not having enough local lads. Well we have quite a few now! I'm pleased to see that a few of the new signings are more experienced in age so we will hopefully have a good blend of experience (albeit not SPL but still good standards) and yoof.

Terrys column in todays Press and Journal gives a small update on our squad rebuilding process, he says that our budget has been affected by the announcements of last week and that while he wants to add Simon King to the squad that will be it.

Good to hear that we will be in a position to sign another defender but where are the goals going to come from? In our relegation season our top scorer got 5 goals, and I'm not convinced Mackay will do any better than that.

This is my biggest worry by some distance. McKay looked tidy enough with the ball at his feet, but playing as a lone striker trying to latch onto long balls he was almost completely ineffective. If Andrew Shinnie stays fit and can work as a link between the midfield and McKay then he might have more success, but ideally I would like to have seen us sign one more striker, preferably an experienced one.

I'm glad, though, that Butcher has come out so early to say that there will be no more signings made. IIRC, last season it was all a lot more vague, and the possibility that more signings could be made just led to more frustration among the supporters when we had such a poor start. At least this year we will know exactly what the situation is. I'm also looking forward to seeing more youth team players given their chance - it would be fantastic if we could begin to build the core of a team for the future around homegrown players - but I do anticipate the season being a struggle, and I'm keeping my expectations low.

Well the fact there is clarity over the squad is that there is no money left but from what i have read in the press and journal Butcher was looking to add one more striker but because of last week has to make king the last signing. I agree we probs do need another striker but without the money we have to make do. It is weaker than last seasons but who is to say that it wont work this season. We seem to have a few more players with experience than last season of the new additions and in some of our youngsters we can give them experience and who knows they may just rise to the challenge. I read that in the courier that the muirfield mills consortium are putting more money in which unfortunately may have to be used to cover the shortfall rather than give us a little extra but is it worth the board asking them if they could put just a little extra to maybe get one more player after king because i think the squad will be ok if we could get one more striker

According to today's P&J, Butcher reckons Sutherland is the "ideal replacement" for Hayes and "has all the attributes to do well on the wing". :furtive:

Edited by Renegade

According to today's P&J, Butcher reckons Sutherland is the "ideal replacement" for Hayes and "has all the attributes to do well on the wing". :furtive:

Oh my. :hiding02:

You know people, I dont cringe about anything. Many are assuming we have a weaker team than last season but until they play competitively in the league we just dont know. Shane, Nick, Gavin and Graeme S all have another season under their belt and a lot more knowledge and experience. We've brought in some over 25's as well with good experience and we have Chris Hogg coming back to hold and control the defensive line. Andrew Shinnie and Richie will do the same for the midfield.

To be honest I see a slightly stronger team than last seasons. The only area I worry about is up front but if we can play from the back, get our passing game working and get behind opposition defences we will score goals and win matches. Who know's small squad may breed stronger play.

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

I predict that Sutherland will be top scorer next season :wink:.

Just so that you know, Shane is a fellow Caithnessian so i am being slightly biased :P lol.

Poster on P&B says he's heard Casalinouvo is coming on trial. Not heard that myself, and is he really any good?

Terry said yesterday at the Q&A session after the game that there would be no further signings so i doubt it

That was my thinking as well, though the same was said a couple of seasons back and a few weeks later Stuart Duff was signed up, but I know there's a lot more financial differences now.

I don't think Casalinouvo's even that good anyway.

Whether he is on trial or not if we have any money left it needs to go towards an attacker. We've got next to no cover and Terry seems to be the only person on this planet that thinks Shane can crack it as a winger. Im happy with what weve got so far but if theres even the slightest possibility we can sign 1 more player it needs to be an attacking player.

Whether he is on trial or not if we have any money left it needs to go towards an attacker. We've got next to no cover and Terry seems to be the only person on this planet that thinks Shane can crack it as a winger. Im happy with what weve got so far but if theres even the slightest possibility we can sign 1 more player it needs to be an attacking player.

Casalinuovo is a striker.

Casalinuovo is a striker.

Yeah i know, but i doubt there is any truth in it.

Edited by ajsict92

Well this would be my squad for 2012/13

Goalkeepers

1. Ryan Esson

2. Antonio Reguero

3. Scott Mathieson

Defence

4. Josh Meekings

5. Gary Warren

6. Chris Hogg

7. Graeme Shinnie

8. David Raven

9. Simon King

10. Matthew Cooper

11. Ryan Watson

Midfield

12. Nick Ross

13. Andrew Shinnie

14. Martin Laing

15. Aaron Doran

16. Owain-Tudur Jones

17. Gavin Morrison

18. Ritchie Foran

19. Ross Draper

20. Liam Polworth

21. Conor Pepper

Strikers

22. Shane Sutherland

23. Billy McKay

24. Jason Oswell

25. Kevin Buchan

26. Ryan Christie

This squad has got a lot of young players, but I would rather go with that than a bunch of loanees. Our under 20s have a lot of potential but they need to be given the chance to step up. With no Rangers now and Dundee as their replacements, this is the perfect opportunity for the young uns to show us what they can do.

Looks a pretty tidy squad to me. Plenty of physical power in defence and midfield and decent quality from a selection of midfield players. However, as has already been said, we need a striker who can retain the ball and play others in. The others being a choice of our existing front men, none of whom are effective enough to play as a lone striker. Looking a lot better than I thought but I can't see where we are going to get enough goals from. I can see MacKay, Sutherland or Oswald scoring goals off a main striker so it's the BOARD'S job to attratct funds for Butcher to get just one more piece to the jigsaw. :thumbup:

The problem is that in the current Scottish football financial mess the board need to attract more funding just to survive as a club. We can‘t afford anyone else. However i am happy with the squad and we appear to be better prepared tthan last year. There is so much potential in our squad. I‘m looking forward to the new season.

• Agree 1

I feel a lot better about the squad now, after a few pre-season games (particularly the Coventry one), than I did a few weeks ago. The defence is beginning to take shape, and with Hogg still to get fully fit, I think we have a few options there. Like most other fans I worry about where the goals will come from. I'd be inclined to give the new lad, Oswell, an extended run to see if he can maintain the scoring touch he had last season in his minor league.

All in all, despite all the early problems replacing our leavers, I think we have just about got there, and I'm really looking forward to the season getting under way.

Feel fine about the newbees we have signed, adding to what was a decent bunch. Little concerned about the amount of yoof, not saying they aint decent cause some are, but they were very poor against other teams under 19s. Is it that the other SPL teams have an upcoming golden generation?