FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre Season Team Bonding

Tug

well today saw 24 players and 3 coaching staff attend a team bonding day at RAF Lossiemouth. the guys arrived and were given a welcome brief and split into four teams.

the idea behind the four teams was to give an element of team bonding but also to give a competitive edge to the day. the first event lined up was a session in the gym run by the PTI's . it started with the guys shooting some basketball as a warm up and trying to score points for the section...... the less said about Ryans performance the better lol

after that the guys had the real work. two teams competed in a crash mat race where they had to launch themselves onto a mat and make it slide along the gym floor. they then sprinted to the end of the gym before running back to tag the next team member. while the senior teams were battling out on the mats the two younger teams were put through there paces on a crossfit circuit.

boy did they work 20 burpees to bar, 20 swiss ball pikes, 20 squat jumps to box , 20 press swing to dip 20 med ball toss and lastly 10 20m shuttles. the guys did themselves proud and worked hard throughout .

after we finished in the gym the guys had a lesson on the rifle to prepare them for the afternoons activities. lunch in the mess was followed by the real meat of the day. once again the guys were in there four teams and we had a small round robbin set up for them

team one went onto our indoor rifle trainer to try some shooting

team two had a mental challenge (tower of hannoi)

team three were put through there paces on a practice grenade stand, with points for accuracy through a target window... may of helped that we had pictures of the management team and the ross county crest in there lol

team four had a drill lesson with the Flight Sergent and learnt how to march,

the next couple of hours were spent rotating the guys through each of the stands while the coaching staff had the opportunity to asses the performance of the guys. once every team had completed all the stands a trophy was presented to the winning section by the station commander. once i can i will get some pictures uploaded but it has to be said i was really impressed by the guys today and it has raised my hope for the season

• Agree 9

Could of at least given them a shot on the assault course

If they still have the high (to me) wall I had to get a boost over once upon a time.......too much possibility of breaks or sprains when landing on the other side to risk it after last season's luck, methinks! :ponder:

Are you referring to Porterfield ?

ROFLMAO! Nope.....never got caught breaking the law!

In the mid 1990s I did the RAF Lossie Assault course as part of a "let's pretend to be Army Cadets in training and make money for Charity" day. I kinda think it was lots more fun than the ICT Bonding Day, though....but maybe not so strenuous, bar the Assault Course and the log run! (Failed miserably at both!)

How was their ball control and defending of corners? Rather the team bonding involved passing the ball to each other and learning to defend. Maybe I am just old fashioned, or just old.

I'm certainly hoping that having the squad pretty much assembled a few weeks before the season starts mean that we hit the ground running this season. We were still adding faces to the team once the season started last year and this could not have aided team unity.

Hopefully with a smaller group of players and a decent pre-season all together we can return to the days where ICT was about team unity, spirit and togetherness

One good thing about a smaller squad is that there are fewer players who are disgruntled about not getting a game.

Completely agree.

Also i think having a load of loan players who's ultimate loyalty is back to their parent team cant help with creating a strong team ethic

How was their ball control and defending of corners? Rather the team bonding involved passing the ball to each other and learning to defend. Maybe I am just old fashioned, or just old.

well we did actually include some tasks/exercises specifically designed to work on communication. ok it maybe wasn't with a ball at their feet but last time i watched them play they were like strangers. add to that a VERY thorough phys session and untold amounts of banter from the competitive side of things i think perhaps one or tow days out of pre season based around non footballing activities will probably do more good than harm